The Village Of Southampton: Senior Living At 5020 Kelvin Dr.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Luxury-tower-for-seniors-under-way-near-Rice-12832999.php

Luxury tower for seniors under way near Rice Village
By Nancy Sarnoff
April 13, 2018 Updated: April 13, 2018 7:18pm

A developer has started construction on a 17-story residential building near the Rice Village shopping district, adding a new senior housing component to the tony neighborhood near near Rice University and West U.

The Village of Southampton is being developed at 5020 Kelvin, between Robinhood and Quenby, adjacent to the Robinhood condominium building.

The tower, which should be completed in spring 2020, will offer independent living, assisted living and memory care services, filling a gap in the neighborhood, said Jim Gray, founder and president of Bridgewood Property Co.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're real close to putting up a crane. Hindesky, you should be ready. i'll ask them tomorrow when they're going to do it and find out what kind of cranes these are.

Looks like a smaller crane is building a larger crane that will eventually erect said crane. This is a block away from the gallery, so I'll keep you posted.

14 minutes ago, bobruss said:

They're real close to putting up a crane. Hindesky, you should be ready. i'll ask them tomorrow when they're going to do it and find out what kind of cranes these are.

Looks like a smaller crane is building a larger crane that will eventually erect said crane. This is a block away from the gallery, so I'll keep you posted.

I would assume that the smaller RT crane is  probably building a crawler crane that is going to do the drilling for the pilings like the one at Hines project in Montrose.

I went down and talked to the construction foreman named Marvin. Very nice guy. I told him about HAIF. He wrote it down and said he couldn't wait to get home to check it out.

Hindesky you were right. They are both Bigge cranes and they are putting together the larger one to drill the piers. He said it would probably be a little while before they erect the main crane until after the high wires are moved. Sounded like a couple of weeks. I asked him if they were going to have a live birds eye camera and he said no. He had asked his boss if they were so they could have a time lapse video. I told him I would be down here checking out the progress and he said that would be great. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This seems to be moving along at a good pace. I work at the gallery in the next block on Sunset and it looks like it will be taller than the 17 story Robinhood.

I walk by it at lunch every day and they are not wasting time. I think they are working on ten now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A nice red brick is going up on the outside of this tower. Looks to be similar shade to the Hanover ten story a few blocks over. So there is now a little mini cluster of high-rises developing in the Village.

I hope the next one will be a boutique hotel. I can't imagine in this area, it not being a complete success. With the Med center, Greenway plaza, Rice U.,  visitors to the

Museum district, and West U. it would be full all of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived