Will Galveston Ever Infill The Areas Of The Strand

texasboy

Will there ever be new construction in the strand and surrounding historical areas of Galveson? All of the new construction seems like it is on the outskirts and I would just love to see Galveston at its peak density again in the strand. Somewhat like San Diego on how they mix in the new condos with the beautiful historic structures in their downtown.

Will there ever be new construction in the strand and surrounding historical areas of Galveson?  All of the new construction seems like it is on the outskirts and I would just love to see Galveston at its peak density again in the strand.  Somewhat like San Diego on how they mix in the new condos with the beautiful historic structures in their downtown.

Yeah it seem that Galveston has not recovered from the last great Hurricane that hit the Island over a 100 yrs ago. and know it seems Rita will strike the Island too as a 5 category. LOL I am just Kidding , but rita is on her way.

I would hope that the sea wall will infill soon. From what I hear Galveston is going through a building boom.

I would hope that the sea wall will infill soon.  From what I hear Galveston is going through a building boom.

Yep and it if Rita strikes it will stop just as fast. It took almiost 20 years for Galveston's economy to recover from Alicia. I wonder how long it will take this time?

That little Tiki island resort/community will probably be underwater.

Yep and it if Rita strikes it will stop just as fast. It took almiost 20 years for Galveston's economy to recover from Alicia. I wonder how long it will take this time?

That little Tiki island resort/community will probably be underwater.

Galveston's economy was not recovering from Alicia during the last 20 years, if anything it has struggled with lack of diversity in its economy, the Houston ship channel, a crumbling housing stock (which had already seen better days way before Alicia), and the initial blow of the hurricane of 1900. Consider these factors, and Alicia is way down on the list of whats wrong with Galveston's economy. Galveston was reduced to a tourist town, with service oriented businesses, paying minimum wages. I believe had Alicia never occured, Galveston would still be dealing with these problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived