Greg Abbott

Blue Dogs

With the likelihood of Texas State AG Greg Abbott ® getting elected as the 48th Governor of Texas on November 4th, questions arise whether Abbott will cut into Democratic territory such as Harris County (which Bill White barely carried in 2010 in the previous gubernatorial election).

Will Abbott carry Harris County against Davis in November ?

A. Yes

B. No

Perry won Harris County in 2002 and 2006.

That may well be, but Harris County is gradually becoming bluer.  I also think that Abbott in the age of the Tea Party is a much more polarizing figure than early Rick Perry was.  Wendy Davis likely has as much name recognition as Bill White did; either of them have more recognition than Ron Kirk did around here.  As for '06, I doubt that even Chris Bell's mom could have gotten excited about him.

• 2 months later...

Abbott did win Harris County last night.

Republicans won governorships in Maryland, Illinois, Arkansas.

Colorado, Connecticut and Alaska too close to call.

In Alaska, incumbent Governor Sean Parnell ® trailing in election results.

At the County level Dallas County and Harris are not usually blue. Definitely not Dallas Country, Harris can go either way depending on the race. City of Houston is. I'm basing this off memory of looking at major statewide and federal elections over the last decade.

Around 3,000,000 voting-age residents in Harris County.

Around 2,100,000 are registered to vote (68%).

Around 700,000 bothered to vote yesterday.

People don't vote. Whether it's the new voter ID laws, unlimited money pouring into races after the Citizens United decision souring people on elections (seriously, if I had to see another protect our borders because Obama wont commercial...), gerrymandered districts created solely on behalf of the Party in charge of redistricting leading to uncompetitive races, the war on drugs causing a rise in felons who can't vote, or simply people just too f'ing lazy, it's a sad day for our Democracy.

Republicans win when people don't vote. 

• Like 2

Can not believe Davis lost Harris County but won Dallas County. I thought Houston was more liberal than Dallas. I guess I was wrong.

The real problem though was that Democrats didn't get out to vote.

I heard some Hispanics voted for Abbott because he had a Hispanic wife and she would be the first lady of Tejas. (really sad)

Many people did not even know there was an election. (really sad)

Can not believe Davis lost Harris County but won Dallas County. I thought Houston was more liberal than Dallas. I guess I was wrong.

The real problem though was that Democrats didn't get out to vote.

I heard some Hispanics voted for Abbott because he had a Hispanic wife and she would be the first lady of Tejas. (really sad)

Many people did not even know there was an election. (really sad)

I agree that turnout was the problem. Harris County is still liberal, but I think the Democratic party at large made the mistake of distancing themselves from Obama. They should have put him front and center, shown some reminder news clips about how far down the hole our economy nearly tanked vs where we are now. I like Obama, voted for Davis regardless, but think Obama showing up down here could have encouraged more liberals to get out and vote.

The Democratic party ALWAYS makes the same mistake... playing the politically safe route. Each time it bites them in the butt. The last time they didn't go the conventional route was 2008.

• Like 2

I agree that turnout was the problem. Harris County is still liberal, but I think the Democratic party at large made the mistake of distancing themselves from Obama. They should have put him front and center, shown some reminder news clips about how far down the hole our economy nearly tanked vs where we are now. I like Obama, voted for Davis regardless, but think Obama showing up down here could have encouraged more liberals to get out and vote.

The Democratic party ALWAYS makes the same mistake... playing the politically safe route. Each time it bites them in the butt. The last time they didn't go the conventional route was 2008.

Exactly, the people that say that they would not have voted for a specific Democrat because that Democrat supported President Obama wouldn't have voted for them in the first place. If President Obama had came down, I think a lot more people would have been aware that they needed to vote.

Edited by citykid09

Exactly, the people that say that they would not have voted for a specific Democrat because that Democrat supported President Obama wouldn't have voted for them in the first place. If President Obama had came down, I think a lot more people would have been aware that they needed to vote.

I agree. Obama should've spent some time here. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - we can't win Texas so why bother trying. Without trying - we don't win Texas. Tiresome. I also think the Mayor/sermon controversy energized the Repubs further at the worst possible time.

Maybe, just maybe, Abbott won't embarrass us like Perry did.

Edited by Dakota79

As expected, moaning and lamenting from the losing "side".

"Ohhhhhh woeeeee issssss weeeeeeee. People are too stupid to see that I am right! They need to be told when to go do stuff because they're just soooooooooo lazy."

Blah blah blah, yada yada yada.

There are regular elections. Every year you have something to vote on. Keep trying and you'll win some, and you'll lose some.

• Like 2

Abbott won in landslide with less than 2.8 million votes. 

There are nearly 14 million registered voters in Texas.

That's a problem. 

Also nice to see Abbott going after Denton County today because the citizens there banned fracking. I guess "more local control" is situational?

• Like 1

Abbott also won Tarrant County (Davis' home turf) and my home county of Bexar. Totaling that Abbott won 235 out of 254 counties.

He performed bigger than Perry did 4 years ago:

2010: Perry won 55%-42% over White

*He carried 226 out of 254 counties

*Lost Bexar, Dallas, Harris, Travis counties

* Won 69% of Anglos, 11% of African Americans & 38% of Latinos

Last night, Abbott won 59%-38% over Davis

* Carried 235 out of 254, as I mentioned earlier

* Won Harris, Tarrant and Bexar counties

* Won 73% of Anglos, 7% of African Americans & 44% of Latinos

• 2 months later...

Ladies & gentlemen, tomorrow is inauguration day for Greg Abbott [R] as TX's 48th Governor & Dan Patrick [R] as the state's 42nd Lieutenant Governor, both being sworn into office at the State Capitol steps. Afterwards, a BBQ luncheon as well as an inaugural parade (first parade since 2003) & finally: the inaugural ball at the Austin Convention Center later Tuesday night.

http://abc13.com/live/

http://kxan.com/live-stream/

What's everyone's thoughts on Abbott as his family moves into the Governor's Mansion?

Edited by Blue Dogs

No thoughts on Mr. Abbott, however, with respect to Mr. Patrick (nee Goeb), I would expect his tenure as Lieutenant Governor to end as many of his other enterprises have ended, in a debacle.

His first appearance in Houston, as a television sportscaster was greeted by everyone I knew, with disdain. He lasted only a short time in that capacity. His next venture, a string of sports bars, ended in 1986 with a bankruptcy and his attempted suicide. Since that time he has found his niche as a conservative commentator, a vocation for which he does seem well qualified, a bombastic personality coupled with a meager grasp of fact and an utter contempt for truth.

Given these characteristics, I would expect that he would rely on his aides to do the actual work of Lieutenant Governor (the most powerful position in the Texas government) and they will, I fear, at some point use their position to enrich themselves, leaving Mr. Patrick to bear the consequences.

JMO

• Like 1

No thoughts on Mr. Abbott, however, with respect to Mr. Patrick (nee Goeb), I would expect his tenure as Lieutenant Governor to end as many of his other enterprises have ended, in a debacle.

His first appearance in Houston, as a television sportscaster was greeted by everyone I knew, with disdain. He lasted only a short time in that capacity. His next venture, a string of sports bars, ended in 1986 with a bankruptcy and his attempted suicide. Since that time he has found his niche as a conservative commentator, a vocation for which he does seem well qualified, a bombastic personality coupled with a meager grasp of fact and an utter contempt for truth.

Given these characteristics, I would expect that he would rely on his aides to do the actual work of Lieutenant Governor (the most powerful position in the Texas government) and they will, I fear, at some point use their position to enrich themselves, leaving Mr. Patrick to bear the consequences.

JMO

You're thinking major scandal will bring him down. We'll see how it goes for the next 4 years!

I wouldn't go so far as to say the next four years, however, Mr. Patrick's history seems to indicate that he may find governing to be a less engaging activity than rabble rousing (his real area of expertise) and that is a situation in which a politician may well find himself in hot water not entirely of his own creation, e.g. the late Presidency of Mr. G.W. Bush and his eminence grise Mr. Cheney.