roadrunner

Goodnight Charlie's + Parking (2531 Kuester)

Looks like some dirt is being moved on the empty lot between La Grange and Buffalo Exchange.  Does anyone have the scoop?  Based on a quick Google search it looks like this was planned to be a Bunkhouse hotel back in 2008, but I'm assuming those plans have been scrapped.

Edited by roadrunner
  • Like 2

This has had so many stops and starts...it was going to be apartments/condos at one point.  They put the piers in the ground.  That didn't get off the ground and then the San Jose people from Austin were going to put a hotel there.  Then most recently Grant Gordon was going to run a restaurant there.  He passed away and that was apparently scrapped.  It's gotten to the point that I can't remember what was there before...

• Like 1

Latest is new parking lot construction and parking variance by "Elysium 1634 Westheimer, LLP."

This is the old site of the long gone Kewpie Cleaners.

that site would make an excellent boutique hotel... something desperately needed in montrose. damn shame if this becomes a parking lot, even if the parking is needed.

• Like 3

Upon further investigation, it appears Buffalo Exchange is moving to a strip center on Shepherd in between W Alabama and Westheimer.  There is a variance request in front of the Buffalo Exchange building outlining 2-story retail.  Possibly all related?

• Like 4

Here's more on Goodnight Charlie's 2531 Kuester  from Swamplot:

Right across Kuester St. from where that paving prep looks to be going on this month, some building permits have been issued recently for a new honky tonk and bar listed as Goodnight Charlie’s. A couple of readers noted that the long-empty triangle of partially grazeable land behind Buffalo Exchange also sports the TABC notice signage above, and the space looks to be owned by the same legal entity that owns the jilted corner lot. The fenced-in land sits at the trailing end of Kuester, which blends into Missouri St. and the back edge of the parking lot of Mexican seafood-themed bar La Grange (which took over the 2-story building formerly occupied by gay bar EJ’s on Ralph St., behind the
Westheimer-facing Central Houston Animal Hospital). 

Here’s a wider shot of the permitted honky tonk site; that’s the back of the Community Endowment Foundation’s Swelha House visible just to the right of all those early-2010’s townhomes:

4PUaz5L.jpg

http://swamplot.com/honky-tonk-signage-spotted-on-small-triangle-of-open-range-behind-buffalo-exchange/2017-01-31/

From Houston Chronicle:

Master Sommelier David Keck to open a honky-tonk in Montrose
Goodnight Charlie's will serve wine from kegs

Opera singer turned Master Sommelier David Keck is re-inventing himself again. Keck, who turned Camerata at Paulie's into one of the city's premier wine destinations, hopes to have his new Montrose honky-tonk open early this fall.

That's right, a Montrose honky-tonk.

It seems that Keck, when he was growing up in rural Vermont, routinely attended Saturday night square-dances with his musician parents. And, while he was courting his wife, Sarah, he learned to two-step at Crider's Rodeo and Dance Hall while visiting her family in Hunt. So, with Goodnight Charlie's, now under construction at 2531 Kuester just off Westheimer in a new partnership with Houston-based developer Peter McCarthy, he says he'll have come full circle.

It's going to be a beer and whiskey bar. Cocktails will be simple and of the stirred variety – "nothing that needs shaking," Keck insists – with a jukebox, a dance floor and live music on Fridays and Saturdays plus simple but authentic Mexican fare. Houston "Master Chef" contestant Alvin Schultz will help shape the food program. An adjacent parking lot will also welcome food trucks.

The wine program?

"Kegs," Keck said.

But it'll be Texas wine in kegs, most likely from Duchman Family Vineyards and McPherson Cellars.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Master-Sommelier-David-Keck-to-open-a-honky-tonk-10975538.php#photo-5142747

• Like 1

A rendering of Goodnight Charlies at 2531 Kuester and more from CultureMap:

Although the term “honky-tonk” conjures images of an older builder like Gruene Hall or trips to Luckenbach, Goodnight Charlie’s will be new construction. Keck and McCarthy are working with Content Architecture and designer Gin Braverman of gindesignsgroup (Camerata, Oxheart, Public Services) to construct a building that, in Keck’s words, is “classic in its architecture and is going to age well.” The building will feature vaulted ceilings, with a long bar along one wall and a table both inside and on the patio.

5H9UFFz.jpg

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-06-17-david-keck-peter-mccarthy-goodnight-charlies-honky-tonk-montrose/

• Like 5

This development confuses me. Why would the knock down the older building? But it was only like an 80% demolishion? 

I need to drive by to see for myself.

On 11/26/2017 at 0:20 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait a sec, so all that land fenced off is just what... for parking???

iirc the tract with westheimer frontage will be parking with the bar in the back. odd configuration unless they have future plans for the parking lot which is possible i suppose.

Located across from Poison Girl and next to La Grange - Montrose now has a cool country bar inspired by Gruene Hall! Opened 12/22/17 

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/goodnight-charlies-a-houston-honky-tonk-opens-in-montrose-10061085

and

https://houston.eater.com/2017/12/22/16809512/houston-goodnight-charlies-opening-december-2017

Edited by gene

This venue is super cool! Really loved going there the other night! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

This thread needs to be renamed to the correct address of 2531 Kuester instead of the westheimer address 

• Like 1

nice spot - kinda wish they added an upstairs balcony and a little more patio space. the "shaken or stirred" drinks rule is a little odd, though... i definitely get not wanting to be a craft cocktail spot but not being able to get an old fashioned, bloody mary or martini is a little moo

that IS odd...didn't realize that rule! wonder if that will eventually change! and heck yeah a balcony area would have been cool, especially for shows! 

Sooo... what are they doing with the rest of the property?

Why was this building demolished in front of it?

Why is a section of the building still standing on the west side?

On 12/27/2017 at 11:35 AM, gene said:

This venue is super cool! Really loved going there the other night! 

Maybe it’s just me but is anyone else annoyed by thread titles with just addresses in the title?  I’m sure it’s just my pet peeve, but if we have a name of the business why not just use that as the title? The heights forum is full of them and it’s hard for my little brain to keep track of what addresses match what business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Maybe it’s just me but is anyone else annoyed by thread titles with just addresses in the title?  I’m sure it’s just my pet peeve, but if we have a name of the business why not just use that as the title? The heights forum is full of them and it’s hard for my little brain to keep track of what addresses match what business.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:30 PM, gene said:

This thread needs to be renamed to the correct address of 2531 Kuester instead of the westheimer address 

Sorry, Meant to to quote this reply ^^^

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Sometimes the business that the address refers to go under (pretty sure I've seen one thread where that happened). Plus, it can be helpful to refer to previous occupants of the property as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

Sometimes the business that the address refers to go under (pretty sure I've seen one thread where that happened). Plus, it can be helpful to refer to previous occupants of the property as well.

Fair. Maybe add the biz name in the tittle along with the address? 

• Like 2

Just edited the subject.  I had started it prior to knowing what was being built there.

They did a good job with the parking lot.  I was a little worried but it is an aesthetically pleasing parking lot that doesn't really detract from the street view.  Well done.

I tried the bar and it's not my thing but I can see it going over well with Aggies, etc.  Even if it fails it's a nice structure for whatever would replace it.

• Like 3

Were they charging for parking and if so how much..? I seen they have a machine at the entrance of the lot.

Edited by nate4l1f3

6 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Were they charging for parking and if so how much..? I seen they have a machine at the entrance of the lot.

I assume they will but not sure...I walked.

• Like 1

I agree with the parking setup! now if we could only figure out what in the heck is going on with the remainder of the old buffalo exchange building! haha!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gene said:

I agree with the parking setup! now if we could only figure out what in the heck is going on with the remainder of the old buffalo exchange building! haha!

The waitress mentioned that they own that site as well. I wanna say she said the owner was doing some sort of wine concept maybe..? I was a few IPAs in so I don’t remember exactly. 

haha! well thanks for asking ;) I was hoping they would have a larger outdoor portion for music and events...i wish they would do that with that available space! 

3 hours ago, gene said:

haha! well thanks for asking ;) I was hoping they would have a larger outdoor portion for music and events...i wish they would do that with that available space! 

I doubt that will happen with the chaos surrounding White Oak Music Hall. 

• Like 1

haha yeah that is just craziness...i need to catch up on where all that stands btw! 

Good Night Charlie's, 2531 Kuester, will have more company next year.

From Houston Chronicle:

When Master Sommelier David Keck up and walked away from wine and opened a honky-tonk, Goodnight Charlie's, in Montrose last year, Houston oenophiles thought he'd lost his mind – or at least his palate. But Keck insisted at the time that, after years of intense studying in route to achieving Master Somm status, he would be only taking a much-needed breather from the wide world of grapes, hardly abandoning it.

This was confirmed Monday with the news that he'll be opening a hat trick's worth of new wine-centric spots in early 2019: a fine-dining establishment called March, a casual European-style bistro called Rosie Cannonball and a retail shop, Montrose Cheese and Wine, that will sell, obviously, cheese and wine plus lots of other cool stuff.

Keck is understandably proud of the fact that he will have a for-real wine cellar beneath the complex – a first for a Houston-area restaurant – although keeping it protected from Houston's occasional monsoons has added a layer of complication. The architectural firm of Curtis & Windham, which has extensive experience with residential wine-cellar construction around the area, is overseeing the project.

March

Seating only 28, it will, Keck says, define what an intimate setting looks like while "pushing the boundaries of fine-dining in Houston." Expect a wine list worthy of his talent and taste, tapping into the relationships he has established around the world during and after his pursuit of Master Sommelier status, while Riccio will create a wide-ranging menu under the "Mediterranean" umbrella.

Rosie Cannonball

The menu will be centered around a wood-burning grill and oven for delivering house-made pizzas and breads. Keck says the wine list will be "expansive," focusing on "affordable" offerings from boutique cutting-edge New World producers and sometimes overlooked regions such as Beaujolais and the Loire Valley. There will also be a "well-curated" cocktail program rounding out the beverage department.

The neighborhood's first cheese emporium will be tightly focused on small producers with a rotating selection of 12 to 15 cheeses and 75 wines, most of them organic, biodynamic and/or naturally produced. Select beers and cider will also be on offer, as will food, accessories and wine-related gifts from Biscuit Home, many of them used personally by Keck and Riccio.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Master-Sommelier-David-Keck-to-open-three-12984110.php

Great news for that part of Westheimer.  On a side note, someone I know got their car broken into while at Good Night Charlies when parked on Ralph.  Too bad people don't just work for a living rather than steal!  I hope there is enough parking for all of this.  Very nice concept, and the developer has a great eye for detail.

In a look at the transformation of Lower Westheimer from Houston Chronicle's Nancy Sarnoff:

Some developers have completely remade parts of Westheimer with entirely new construction.

A two-story building under construction on Westheimer at Kuester will house several new food and beverage concepts from the Goodnight Hospitality group that operates the nearby Goodnight Charlie’s, a modern take on a honky-tonk.

Rosie Canonball, a casual bistro, and Montrose Cheese & Wine will occupy the first floor, while March, a 28-seat fine dining restaurant, will be on the second floor.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Revival-of-Lower-Westheimer-draws-offbeat-niche-13741908.php

• Like 2

great article...and man i miss the "old montrose" but still like alot about this new montrose.

and this stood out:

Portland-based Voodoo Doughnuts just signed a letter of intent to lease one of Davis’ buildings: a two-story house at 1719 Westheimer that’s now an antique shop.🤪🍩‼️

• Like 1

Newly launched websites for the Good Night Hospitality restaurants with opening dates.

Rosie Cannonball 
1620 Westheimer Rd
Opening Summer 2019

https://www.rosiecannonball.com/

Montrose Cheese & Wine

1618 Westheimer Rd

Opening Summer 2019

https://www.montrosecheeseandwine.com/

March

1620 Westheimer Rd

Opening Winter 2019

https://www.marchrestaurant.com/

• Like 1

From Houston Business Journal today (snippets below, the rest is behind a pay-wall):

Goodnight Hospitality, the restaurant group behind Montrose honky-tonk Goodnight Charlie’s, announced last year that it would open three concepts in 2019. Now, two have rough opening dates. Both Rosie Cannonball and Montrose Cheese and Wine are set to open this summer. 

Rosie Cannonball, a casual European restaurant, will be 2,500 square feet and will center its menu around a wood-burning grill and oven. 

Felipe Riccio, chef partner with Goodnight Hospitality, said that Rosie Cannonball will feature southern European cuisine with influences from Italy, Spain, France and more, offering dishes such as classic, rustic pasta. As the restaurant progresses, Riccio said, it might take more influences from islands around southern Europe. 

...In addition to Rosie Cannonball, the company plans to open two other concepts: March, an upscale Mediterranean restaurant, and Montrose Cheese and Wine, a wine and cheese store. 

Montrose Cheese and Wine will be 730 square feet...

...Few details have been released on March, other than it will seat 28 in 3,600 square feet of space. While the website for March says that it will open winter 2019, Riccio declined to go into further detail. 

Montrose Cheese and Wine, Rosie Cannonball and March will be located at 1618, 1620 and 1624 Westheimer, respectively, all under one roof. The restaurants and shop will be around the corner from Goodnight Charlie’s, which opened in December 2017

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/15/houston-hospitality-group-reveals-more-details.html

From Virtual Builders Exchange last week:

Site map of Good Night Hospitality restaurants:

Rosie Cannonball -1620 Westheimer Rd

Montrose Cheese & Wine - 1618 Westheimer Rd

March -1620 Westheimer Rd

cbhWyU5.jpg

Construction progress photo:

13gMdKw.jpg

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-boutique-hotel-to-open-in-montrose-hospitality-district/ (archive link)

• Like 2