roadrunner

Goodnight Charlie's + Parking (2531 Kuester)

Looks like some dirt is being moved on the empty lot between La Grange and Buffalo Exchange.  Does anyone have the scoop?  Based on a quick Google search it looks like this was planned to be a Bunkhouse hotel back in 2008, but I'm assuming those plans have been scrapped.

Edited by roadrunner
  • Like 2

This has had so many stops and starts...it was going to be apartments/condos at one point.  They put the piers in the ground.  That didn't get off the ground and then the San Jose people from Austin were going to put a hotel there.  Then most recently Grant Gordon was going to run a restaurant there.  He passed away and that was apparently scrapped.  It's gotten to the point that I can't remember what was there before...

• Like 1

Latest is new parking lot construction and parking variance by "Elysium 1634 Westheimer, LLP."

This is the old site of the long gone Kewpie Cleaners.

that site would make an excellent boutique hotel... something desperately needed in montrose. damn shame if this becomes a parking lot, even if the parking is needed.

• Like 3

Upon further investigation, it appears Buffalo Exchange is moving to a strip center on Shepherd in between W Alabama and Westheimer.  There is a variance request in front of the Buffalo Exchange building outlining 2-story retail.  Possibly all related?

• Like 4

This development confuses me. Why would the knock down the older building? But it was only like an 80% demolishion? 

I need to drive by to see for myself.

On 11/26/2017 at 0:20 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait a sec, so all that land fenced off is just what... for parking???

iirc the tract with westheimer frontage will be parking with the bar in the back. odd configuration unless they have future plans for the parking lot which is possible i suppose.

Located across from Poison Girl and next to La Grange - Montrose now has a cool country bar inspired by Gruene Hall! Opened 12/22/17 

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/goodnight-charlies-a-houston-honky-tonk-opens-in-montrose-10061085

and

https://houston.eater.com/2017/12/22/16809512/houston-goodnight-charlies-opening-december-2017

Edited by gene

This venue is super cool! Really loved going there the other night! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

This thread needs to be renamed to the correct address of 2531 Kuester instead of the westheimer address 

• Like 1

nice spot - kinda wish they added an upstairs balcony and a little more patio space. the "shaken or stirred" drinks rule is a little odd, though... i definitely get not wanting to be a craft cocktail spot but not being able to get an old fashioned, bloody mary or martini is a little moo

that IS odd...didn't realize that rule! wonder if that will eventually change! and heck yeah a balcony area would have been cool, especially for shows! 

Sooo... what are they doing with the rest of the property?

Why was this building demolished in front of it?

Why is a section of the building still standing on the west side?

On 12/27/2017 at 11:35 AM, gene said:

This venue is super cool! Really loved going there the other night! 

Maybe it’s just me but is anyone else annoyed by thread titles with just addresses in the title?  I’m sure it’s just my pet peeve, but if we have a name of the business why not just use that as the title? The heights forum is full of them and it’s hard for my little brain to keep track of what addresses match what business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Maybe it’s just me but is anyone else annoyed by thread titles with just addresses in the title?  I’m sure it’s just my pet peeve, but if we have a name of the business why not just use that as the title? The heights forum is full of them and it’s hard for my little brain to keep track of what addresses match what business.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:30 PM, gene said:

This thread needs to be renamed to the correct address of 2531 Kuester instead of the westheimer address 

Sorry, Meant to to quote this reply ^^^

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Sometimes the business that the address refers to go under (pretty sure I've seen one thread where that happened). Plus, it can be helpful to refer to previous occupants of the property as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

Sometimes the business that the address refers to go under (pretty sure I've seen one thread where that happened). Plus, it can be helpful to refer to previous occupants of the property as well.

Fair. Maybe add the biz name in the tittle along with the address? 

• Like 2

Just edited the subject.  I had started it prior to knowing what was being built there.

They did a good job with the parking lot.  I was a little worried but it is an aesthetically pleasing parking lot that doesn't really detract from the street view.  Well done.

I tried the bar and it's not my thing but I can see it going over well with Aggies, etc.  Even if it fails it's a nice structure for whatever would replace it.

• Like 3

Were they charging for parking and if so how much..? I seen they have a machine at the entrance of the lot.

Edited by nate4l1f3

6 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Were they charging for parking and if so how much..? I seen they have a machine at the entrance of the lot.

I assume they will but not sure...I walked.

• Like 1

I agree with the parking setup! now if we could only figure out what in the heck is going on with the remainder of the old buffalo exchange building! haha!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gene said:

I agree with the parking setup! now if we could only figure out what in the heck is going on with the remainder of the old buffalo exchange building! haha!

The waitress mentioned that they own that site as well. I wanna say she said the owner was doing some sort of wine concept maybe..? I was a few IPAs in so I don’t remember exactly. 

haha! well thanks for asking ;) I was hoping they would have a larger outdoor portion for music and events...i wish they would do that with that available space! 

3 hours ago, gene said:

haha! well thanks for asking ;) I was hoping they would have a larger outdoor portion for music and events...i wish they would do that with that available space! 

I doubt that will happen with the chaos surrounding White Oak Music Hall. 

• Like 1

haha yeah that is just craziness...i need to catch up on where all that stands btw! 

Great news for that part of Westheimer.  On a side note, someone I know got their car broken into while at Good Night Charlies when parked on Ralph.  Too bad people don't just work for a living rather than steal!  I hope there is enough parking for all of this.  Very nice concept, and the developer has a great eye for detail.

great article...and man i miss the "old montrose" but still like alot about this new montrose.

and this stood out:

Portland-based Voodoo Doughnuts just signed a letter of intent to lease one of Davis’ buildings: a two-story house at 1719 Westheimer that’s now an antique shop.🤪🍩‼️

• Like 1

This one is almost done, at least the exterior. They also went in and repainted the exterior of Biscuit and added complementing bronze awnings. Looks slick. Really wished that since they demoed the old building that they could have moved the new building closer to the street. Oh well.

pk59RpD.jpg

t5majhL.jpg

• Like 4

I agree it looks amazing and brings so much to this part of Westheimer!!! Did you notice the super cool new sign out by the street!? It says Goodnight Montrose! Did they rename Goodnight Charlies or is this the name of the whole development? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gene said:

I agree it looks amazing and brings so much to this part of Westheimer!!! Did you notice the super cool new sign out by the street!? It says Goodnight Montrose! Did they rename Goodnight Charlies or is this the name of the whole development? 

The company is called "Good night" Hospitality. I'm assuming they are just putting their name in front and then something else behind it. Seems like a good way to maintain their brand while also keep separation between venues in name.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Leslie at Goodnight Hospitality was kind enough to send me this awesome photo...taken before it was completely finished but gives you an idea of how cool this street sign is!

goodnight montrose (480x640).jpg

goodnight montrose (600x800) (150x200).jpg

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

and this just opened TODAY in the same (Goodnight Montrose) Development! 

Montrose Cheese and Wine now OPEN

https://houston.eater.com/2019/8/14/20805396/montrose-cheese-and-wine-open-david-keck-goodnight-hospitality

Montrose Cheese & Wine, the newest venture from master sommelier David Keck’s Goodnight Hospitality, kicks open the doors today.

The new cheese shop, wine bar, and market is set to debut at 1618 Westheimer Road, occupying an 800 square foot space, according to a press release. The small space is intended to evoke a European salumeria vibe, with custom metal pieces, oiled white oak shelves, and Griotte marble. About 10 seats will be available at the bar for dining in.

In addition to the constantly rotating selection of top-notch cheeses that will be on offer, Montrose denizens can also look forward to pastries like Portuguese egg tarts, coffee and espresso drinks from Greenway Coffee, and plenty of upscale pantry additions like Italian dried pasta, olive oil, and professional-quality bar tools. Wine director Ryan Cooper has selected 125 wines for the shop, including uber-trendy natural and organic wines.

This is just the first Goodnight Hospitality establishment to debut as part of the group’s planned Montrose takeover. By the end of the month, the group will debut brand new restaurant Rosie Cannonball, and a second, Mediterranean-focused eatery called March is also in the works.

Montrose Cheese & Wine is now open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

All I know is that Montrose Cheese & Wine is evidently going to be serving Pasteis de nata, which I've not been able to find an authentic one in Houston, yet. 

• Thanks 1

They did a very good job in design and finish. It is clean and solid. I also agree about the siting and parking, but they have done such a good job with the other park- ing lot

and rejuvenation of this site that I suppose it can be overlooked.

• Like 1