The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

My dad took me to the opening of the Astrodome in 1965. The Astros played the Yankees and Micky Mantle hit the first home run ever in the dome. I saw President Johnson there with Judge Hofheinz in his glassed-in skybox. I think the Astros actually won. I remember my dad getting pissed at me because all I wanted to do was look up at the ceiling structure-it was far more fascinating to an 11 year old than the game.

B)

Are we adding our Astrodome memories here? I remember going to the Astrodome in 1968 when Humphrey was running for president against Nixon. President Johnson was there endorsing Humphrey, lots of speeches were made which I paid no attention to (I was 8 years old), but what I remember most was the entire Astrodome yelling

H H H! H H H!

(for Hubert Horatio Humphrey) as they flashed three huge H's across the scoreboard. I'm not sure I would remember that day at all if it weren't for the H H H cheer!

My dad took me to the opening of the Astrodome in 1965. The Astros played the Yankees and Micky Mantle hit the first home run ever in the dome. I saw President Johnson there with Judge Hofheinz in his glassed-in skybox. I think the Astros actually won.

I also saw that game. The Astros did win it, 2-1 in extra innings, if I remember correctly. My wife bought me two tickets in the front row of the mezzanine, just behind third base, for each of the five pre-season games there just before the regular season started. Those ten tickets cost $35. The first game was on a Friday night with two day-night double-headers on the weekend. According to the scoreboard, the game in the pictures must have been an afternoon game with the Yankees that the Astros won 3-2. The scoreboard clock shows 3:53. Thanks for the memories, jb4647.

I also saw that game.  The Astros did win it, 2-1 in extra innings, if I remember correctly.  My wife bought me two tickets in the front row of the mezzanine, just behind third base, for each of the five pre-season games there just before the regular season started.  Those ten tickets cost $35.  The first game was on a Friday night with two day-night double-headers on the weekend.  According to the scoreboard, the game in the pictures must have been an afternoon game with the Yankees that the Astros won 3-2.  The scoreboard clock shows 3:53.  Thanks for the memories, jb4647.

My father is proud of stating that he was at the last Colt 45's game in Jeppeson stadium, the first Astros game in the Dome, the last Astro's game in the Dome and the first Astro's game in Enron field. He went to tons of games with his Dad (a friend of Hoffeinze) between 1965-72 and to this day is a season ticket holder in his retirement years. He took all the photos I've posted.

I never heard that they played baseball at Jeppesen. Interesting

I know the Colt 45's had their temporary stadium right next to the dome.

Colt stadium i think.  lots of uncovered bleachers and mosquitos

Maybe he meant the last game the Buff's played at their old stadium by UH where Fingers in now.  Cullen at 45.

You're correct! The 45's didn't play at Jeppesen. Couldn't have.

I attended lots of games at Colt Stadium and endured many mosquito-bitten nights and sun-burned days watching the Colt 45's.

The Oilers played their first games at Jeppesen Stadium before moving on to Rice Stadium and then the Astrodome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Wow, cool pictures. It looks pretty weird seeing those pictures with practically nothing around the astrodome.

Is it true that in the Astrodomes early days there was a hotel there?

Yes, there was the AstroWorld Hotel. I remember back in the 1970s the Guiness Book of World Records had The Celestial Suite in that hotel listed as the most expensive hotel room in the world renting at $2500 a night.

I looked on HoustonFreeways.Com and saw two aerial photos, one of the land being cleared for the Astrodome, and the other of the "skelton" of it under construction. That website also had photos of the Baytown-LaPorte Tunnel being built and being demolished.

Yes, there was the AstroWorld Hotel. I remember back in the 1970s the Guiness Book of World Records had The Celestial Suite in that hotel listed as the most expensive hotel room in the world renting at $2500 a night.

The hotel is still there, and still in business. It's changed names over the years numerous times. I forget the current name, but it's still there at the corner of Kirby and the South Loop.

I don't mean to break the thread by talking about pharmacies but is the old Yale Drugs still around? I think that used to be in the Village

There is a Yale Pharmacy on Yale, just north of 20th st. However, I don't think they sell any kind of pharmaceuticals in there anymore. But, they do serve a good breakfast! :D

There used to be another sign like that on Rice in the Village.

I remember a Jones Apothecary at the corner of Rice and Morningside in the Village in the '50s. Alfred's Deli was next door, if I remember correctly.

My father was Lee W. Jones, the structural P.E. I grew up watching the Dome being built and I possess some 8 millimeter home movies of its construction. My dad was project manager on the Dome for Walter P. Moore and Associates.

He told me a lot of stories about it. I hope they don't tear it down.

• 1 year later...

Ok, this is some extreme trivia, but think hard, somebody's bound to remember:

When the Astrodome first opened, in the years when the Ushers wore gold dresses and little pill-box hats, there were some machines in the lower level lobbies, that made souvenir plastic injection molded models of the Astrodome. These machines were like giant Vac-U-Form toys that would spit out a warm, two-inch tall, by five-inch diamater model of the Dome. All for probably about a Dollar.

Comments? Pictures? Anybody?