The Abandoned Astrodome And Its Future

gambitx

My guess is that they don't want to go public with what might be a shot-in-the-dark or crummy idea. If HCSCC's initial appraisal of it deems it worthy of consideration, they'll probably release them from the NDA provisions to allow them to go public with it. If not, we probably won't hear any more.

What confuses me is... Which actual entity at USC is putting forth a proposal? USC is an educational institution. I can see a USC architecture student team - or even a faculty cohort - doing this, but that's not 'USC'.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the idea of preserving the dome and love the idea of a STEM museum. There's a big part of me though that wonders whether a STEM museum would be better situated in a development of the NASA site in Clear Lake. I know that it's further from the city and the rest of the museum district, but I would think that there could be a really nice connection/integration with the space program.

Edited by livincinco

• 3 weeks later...

They should only preserve the frame and put a nice artificial park with pond and all (all already suggested) but add LEDs to the the frame and lights to have the same effect the Eiffel Tower has. Every hour a light display, twinkling, etc.

• Like 1

They should only preserve the frame and put a nice artificial park with pond and all (all already suggested) but add LEDs to the the frame and lights to have the same effect the Eiffel Tower has. Every hour a light display, twinkling, etc.[/quote ]

Then it could become our Coliseum and eventually Yanni might play there... Or was that the Acropolis? :)

Edited by Andrew Broadfoot

is it too late to make the Dome a national historic landmark?

It fits the criteria for sure, I wonder how fast the process takes, so if the county says the best way forward is to demolish, would citizens be able to get it on the NHL before they could demo?

Quick, does anyone know if destroyed would it have to be dismantled or imploded?!

The reason I asked is because my idea is more feasible if it needs to be dismantled.

It's a piggyback idea of the skeleton model. It would also require the Texans and rodeo to buy in and take the lead because it won't be any kind of cash cow, but it will bring another dimension to Reliant Park and to tailgating and rodeo events. However, I do think it could help bring in more revenue.

Okay already...no drum roll needed: it needs to be stripped more than the UH student proposal - more like the Eiffel Tower. Fill in the hole and make a parking lot on the surface. Options For the roof include keeping the roof as is, restoring the entire roof to its original translucent panels or stripping it and covering it with an ivy. The main idea is preserving only the core structure(supporting beams only) and most importantly allowing the surface to still be used as parking. The roof or ivy will provide shade and protection from other adverse weather, not to mention being underneath the historic Astrodome, therefore allowing the Texans to charge a premium for this location. This preserves the Dome and still allows them to profit from fit. The rodeo would benefit from protection from most adverse weather, too.

This preserves it and still allows the Texans and the rodeo to make practical use out of the space.

Hopefully I didn't just repeat an idea already presented. Of course this is only a pipe dream if the Texans and Rodeo don't support it since nobody is going to give money for this.

• 3 weeks later...

So is the county going to release all of the proposals that are submitted, or just the ones that it deems viable?

I ask, because I have to wonder if there is a submitted proposal that doesn't have any real backing (I'm thinking the strip it to the skeleton idea) but would have the support of the people, and maybe get some financial backing from philanthropists who just want to have their name attached to something good for the city.

If there was ever a time for the county to be completely open, it would be now.

So is the county going to release all of the proposals that are submitted, or just the ones that it deems viable?

I ask, because I have to wonder if there is a submitted proposal that doesn't have any real backing (I'm thinking the strip it to the skeleton idea) but would have the support of the people, and maybe get some financial backing from philanthropists who just want to have their name attached to something good for the city.

If there was ever a time for the county to be completely open, it would be now.

So they made decisions today and that can't release their results?

So they made decisions today and that can't release their results?

The deadline for submissions was yesterday.

They'll review them and choose the best one for the ballot for a yes/no in November.

I'm sure the question will be "vote yes if you want to keep paying maintenance costs on the dome, or no, if you want to transform it into a revenue generating venue"

where they won't say that the revenue generating venue is a parking lot  :angry2:

This of course, is just my suspicion, we'll see how my sooth saying capabilities work out.

They'll review them and choose the best one for the ballot for a yes/no in November.

Two questions:

1: Do they have to put something on the ballot or can they go forward without it?

2: What's the deadline to submit something for the ballot (i.e. when might we know what the decision is)?

Two questions:

1: Do they have to put something on the ballot or can they go forward without it?

2: What's the deadline to submit something for the ballot (i.e. when might we know what the decision is)?

here's the chron article from yesterday that outlines the timeline:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Deadline-nears-for-Astrodome-4587827.php

June 19: Sports Corporation's board meeting, where staff will reveal a public plan for the stadium and the board will vote on what proposals to bring to Harris County Commissioners Court for consideration.

June 25: Commissioners Court capital projects meeting, where the Sports Corp. will present ideas on what do to with the dome.

November 5: The next election, when an Astrodome renovation project could end up on the ballot so Harris County voters can decide its fate.

of course, in italics, it might not even be up for a vote? Hell, even if it is, who's to say that they'll listen to the people anyway, Mayor Parker and other Harris county officials have said in the past they would ignore the will of the voter if they didn't like the vote (specifically the metro funding), so I don't expect it to matter anyway.

is it too late to make the Dome a national historic landmark?

It fits the criteria for sure, I wonder how fast the process takes, so if the county says the best way forward is to demolish, would citizens be able to get it on the NHL before they could demo?

I read in the chron yesterday that a couple of folks are trying to do just that.

I read in the chron yesterday that a couple of folks are trying to do just that.

I hope it doesn't have to come to that, but if it does, I'm glad someone's working on it.

I saw the article in today's chron that they got 19 submissions, but won't go public with them until the 19th.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/19-ideas-submitted-for-Dome-redo-4593723.php

some of the ideas are in there.

I like the ski dome idea, it would be interesting to watch skiers coming down from all sides to meet in the middle.

I like the ski dome idea, it would be interesting to watch skiers coming down from all sides to meet in the middle.

Can someone clarify the ski dome idea? Would they be on real snow, or a fake/plastic type of material? I keep hearing about this concept but never heard more details on it and how it would work.

I'm still in favor of stripping it to the frame and making a park under it.

This just in...

JUDGE EMMETT PRAISES ASTRODOME PROPOSAL
RECOMMENDED BY SPORTS CORPORATION
Plan to Restore and Reuse Astrodome Could Help Make County
The 'Events Capital of the World'

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett praised a proposal unveiled today by the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation to renovate and rehabilitate Harris County's fabled Astrodome and convert it to a state-of-the-art conference and exposition center capable of hosting a large number of sports, convention or community events.

"The concept is excellent," Emmett said. "It not only preserves an iconic structure, but it gives Houston and Harris County a truly unique and historic venue for conferences and events. Meeting planners around the world will want to use the space."

Emmett said the idea of clearing the interior of the county-owned Dome to create a 350,000-square-foot, open and air-conditioned meeting space within Reliant Park perfectly complements the venue's other tenants - the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the Houston Texans - while providing unique facilities for other functions such as sporting events, expositions, festivals and major community events.

The Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation approved the proposal at its monthly meeting this afternoon and will officially present its recommendation to Harris County Commissioners Court at the court's Capital Improvements Hearing at 9 a.m. on June 25. Emmett and other court members have met with members of the sports corporation and been briefed throughout the process. 

"It has taken a long time to get to this point," Emmett said. "But I believe the concept for repurposing the Astrodome will give us a facility that will garner much attention and will make us the events capital of the world."

If it preserves the structure, I'm happy.

I am curious what kind of exhibits they'd to put in there that the GRB downtown won't hold.

They might move events requiring larger spaces that are currently being done in Reliant Stadium.  Are there any events that happen in the GRB that are maxing out it's space?  Could be that they also have their eyes on events that don't currently happen in Houston, but that need a lot of space.  CES comes to mind, though I doubt that would come to Houston.

Edited by august948