Sign in to follow this  
HoustonMidtown

2409 Grant st Hamburger Mary's

I heard a rumor that Hamburger Marys is moving into the old Cafe Noche location on Montrose....anyone else heard this......I didn't even notice that Cafe Noche had closed !

I have not heard this rumor but I welcome this "gay" franchise. These places are popular all over the country including SF, San Diego and Dallas to name a few.

I welcome them to our city and I believe it will add synergy to what is becoming a happening little area by South Beach and Hollywood Bookstore.

It should do quite well.

I hope it comes. I have a friend in Phoenix that says they're fun to eat at.

I hope it comes.  I have a friend in Phoenix that says they're fun to eat at.

They opened one in Dallas, closed 6 months later. Food sucked and really bad layout. Great place to go for happy hour though. Good drink specials.

They opened one in Dallas, closed 6 months later. Food sucked and really bad layout. Great place to go for happy hour though. Good drink specials.

They still have a Dallas location on their website... 4140 Lemmon Ave.

My Dallas friends seem to still go all the time. A franchise in Houston will do well at the Noche location.

Ideal spot and tons of parking.

Everyone knows that Baba Yega's has the best burgers in the Montrose.

Hamburger Mary's would last about three weeks.

I did not know that. Barnaby's has a pretty mean burger and a little further away is Otto's. Yummy.

Hamburger Mary's is not about the food. It is about the atmosphere. I have been to several franchises across the country and the food has never impressed me. It is a fun place to go. Just like the movie Office Space says, "You can get a burger anywhere, people come to Chachi's for the atmosphere".

That is why Hamburger Mary's will thrive. Also if it can compete in the highly competitive Sunday Brunch category it will also do well. I feel that Berryhill Montrose's days are numbered, the straights have found it out (no offense to those of you are are). I see the emergence of a new happy Sunday Brunch place.

Hamburger Mary's might be that place. We will see.

This fat city loves its food too much for "atmosphere" alone.

And I prefer the term "Breeder", thank you ;-) My wife and I were at Berryhill Montrose before they even did anything on Sundays.

Now we drive by and say "ugh" that looks like fun.

Hamburger Mary's is not about the food. It is about the atmosphere.  I have been to several franchises across the country and the food has never impressed me.  It is a fun place to go.  Just like the movie Office Space says, "You can get a burger anywhere, people come to Chachi's for the atmosphere".

That is why Hamburger Mary's will thrive.  Also if it can compete in the highly competitive Sunday Brunch category it will also do well.  I feel that Berryhill Montrose's days are numbered, the straights have found it out (no offense to those of you are are). I see the emergence of a new happy Sunday Brunch place. 

Hamburger Mary's might be that place.  We will see.

No offense taken. I used to eat at that Berryhill's on Sundays with my girlfriend. It started getting a little too loud for us so we usually hit the one on Westhiemer. The parking sucks at the Montrose location and it makes me mad when I can never get a spot. I sure do like the Spinach and Corn tamales though.

I heard Farragos has a great brunch. Is it mellow or is it a zoo too. I am usually in the mood to read the paper and chill out.

the gays (the ones *I* know at least) avoid Sunday La Strada like the plague.

I agree that Berryhill's wild Sunday afternoons are numbered. Maybe we will continue to go through 2005, but the second something hotter comes along (are you reading this Hamburger Mary's) then we will be there with open bar tabs. :) We are a fickle bunch.

La Strada suffers from the "word of mouth" syndrome. If there is even a hint of anti-gay feeling or attitude, the community will "avoid it like the plague". An establishment can do this when it sits in the gay epicenter of Houston.

La Strada has long since died as a player on the Sunday Brunch scene. I am getting to the point where even I can not stand Berryhill on Sundays. I tend to go for places with the predominantly gay crowd.

Gay nightlife/social environment in Houston is in transition right now. This happens every few years as we gays get bored.

Farrago's is great, but it too is a zoo on sundays for brunch. It is also very small.

I saw on the marque that its going ot be senor ritas.

I saw that too just last night as I was driving home. By the way was this place called Cafe Noche or was it just Noche. I was under the impression they were two different restuarants.

Originally Cafe Noche, then late became just Noche. I recall that perhaps there was a new owner, but mabe not. I'm sure someone on the board has better recollection.

Originally Cafe Noche, then late became just Noche. I recall that perhaps there was a new owner, but mabe not. I'm sure someone on the board has better recollection.

Did the resturarant close down for a while between name changes?

Hell yeah. Baba Yega's has the food and the atmosphere.

Sorry, but the Montrose Diner has the BEST BURGER in town now. It beats the new Red Lion on Shepherd which trounces Rudyards burger which is pretty even with Baba's. Oh and Lankford's is in a class by itself. Sorry.

The only problem with the Montrose Diner is they can't pull their heads out long enough to take an order, make an order or deliver an order. But if you get a Burger, you're a very happy person!

There is no cool place for Sunday Brunch.

Sorry, but the Montrose Diner has the BEST BURGER in town now. It beats the new Red Lion on Shepherd which trounces Rudyards burger which is pretty even with Baba's. Oh and Lankford's is in a class by itself. Sorry.

The only problem with the Montrose Diner is they can't pull their heads out long enough to take an order, make an order or deliver an order. But if you get a Burger, you're a very happy person!

There is no cool place for Sunday Brunch.

Don't be sorry. you're right about Lankford. Jeez, there are too many good burgers in this town.

The one in Fort Lauderdale I visited closed down a week later, this was back in July, it is called Rosie's now.

I think a lot of them are closing and don't see any new ones opening any time soon.

The franchise fee is too expensive I hear.

The one in Fort Lauderdale I visited closed down a week later, this was back in July, it is called Rosie's now.

I think a lot of them are closing and don't see any new ones opening any time soon.

The franchise fee is too expensive I hear.

Ok - I have a complaint,here. These OLD threads that come to life with ONE new post. I'll be reading, and a reference will be made that dates the thread and I think - DARN - and OLD THREAD!

No, these old threads are good. Just look how many crapholes in this thread are already out of business.

But the good ones remain.

Good crapholes?

Hey Coog - do you know if U of H (class of 78 here) still has a live mascot - as in Shasta?

No, the good places. Like Baba Yega, Lankford, etc.

I wish we still had Shasta. I think Shasta V was the last one back in 1993. I graduated in 1995.

I feel guilty. I should be in Memphis today rooting on the Coogs!

No, the good places. Like Baba Yega, Lankford, etc.

I wish we still had Shasta. I think Shasta V was the last one back in 1993. I graduated in 1995.

I feel guilty. I should be in Memphis today rooting on the Coogs!

I had a feeling that the PETA people would eventually have U of H get rid of Shasta. The Shastas had a nice life, at least I thought they did. It's a shame.

GO COOGS!

My boys want to go anywhere but U of H. The oldest wants to go to ACU, thr youngest wants to go to UT. UT????????? And the oldest wants to go to UT Law. UT??????????????

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Edited by PapillionWyngs

I did not know that. Barnaby's has a pretty mean burger and a little further away is Otto's. Yummy.

My favorite thing at Barnaby's are the black bean burritos!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I haven't been to Barnaby's in ages. Those burritos are good, but I usually go for one of the chicken dishes, the lasagna, or the meatloaf.

It's now ten years later, and the rumor is true.   Construction is underway.   It will be in 'the heart of Montrose'.    Proposed opening is this spring. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brandon said:

It's now ten years later, and the rumor is true.   Construction is underway.   It will be in 'the heart of Montrose'.    Proposed opening is this spring. 

Is it in the old Mining Company location ?

I was out in the gayborhood today with friends and we noticed the old Hollywood super center adult store under construction. The adult store moved next door into a smaller space. We went in to ask the worker what they were turning the old adult store into and he said a Hamburher Mary's. As we kept bar hopping we noticed the flyers everywhere. We even came across a Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/Hamburger-Marys-Houston-1312081512169702/

Hamburger Mary's is a burger joint that caters to the LGBT community with various Drag shows and other forms of entertainment. I believe they started in West Hollywood, CA.

IMG_4153.JPG

Scheduled opening is February 2017

oh and this was the supposedly new (relocated) Hollywood Vietnamese restaurant.

Edited by drecey
  • Like 4

I heard this was opening in Houston in 2015 but that was the extent of it. Looks more like it's the former Bayou City Bar & Grill than Hollywood Vietnamese & Chinese Restaurant. Bayou City Bar & Grill is  2409 Grant St, Ste A and Hollywood Vietnamese's address is 2409 Grant St, Ste D. The address I found for Hamburger Mary's is 2409 Grant St, Ste A.

Bayou City is still up and running. With no signs of closing (went by there last night). The old hollywood adult store is going through a renovation. They have all the equipment outside and in the building.

20 hours ago, drecey said:

I was out in the gayborhood today with friends and we noticed the old Hollywood super center adult store under construction. The adult store moved next door into a smaller space. We went in to ask the worker what they were turning the old adult store into and he said a Hamburher Mary's. As we kept bar hopping we noticed the flyers everywhere. We even came across a Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/Hamburger-Marys-Houston-1312081512169702/

Hamburger Mary's is a burger joint that caters to the LGBT community with various Drag shows and other forms of entertainment. I believe they started in West Hollywood, CA.

So it's like Mary's, but with hamburgers?

Marys1.jpg

• Like 1

A bar from Guava Lamp is in planning for 2409 Grant St. Currently, Hamburger Mary's resides here, so I don't know if this bar will be its replacement or will be an added venue.

Here's what I know of Buddy's so far:

Their logo was added to their Instagram page around a month or two ago.

Their Instagram is @buddyshouston

And their website is http://buddys.bar

SYC5MOL.jpg

• Like 1