Mab

Was initial going to put this on "On The Market & Rumors", but because its on a agenda I've now put it on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the aboveĀ is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

Uhhh thats alot of parking garages. Or am I reading that wrong?

Ā 

If they want to curry favor with the neighborhoodĀ they should make those green spaces into parks/play places for the neighborhood, knowing the types of people who live in that area.Ā 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

But many Bellaire residents fired back with claims that development would hurt the cityā€™s reputation as the ā€œCity of Homes.ā€

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What does that even mean? They want a community that is strictly residential with nothing else? I feel like this project would be way better than some abandoned buildings.Ā 

• Like 2

Prime West Loop Parcel Ignites a City Hall War

https://realtynewsreport.com/2019/07/17/prime-west-loop-parcel-ignites-a-city-hall-war/

Ā 

Ā 

BELLAIRE, Texas ā€“ (By Michelle Leigh Smith for Realty News Report) ā€“ As emotions ran high, the July meeting of the Bellaire Planning & Zoning Commission went off with fireworks.

Ā 

Seven commissioners and a standing-room-only crowd heard SLS Propertiesā€™ plans for the 30.5-acre site where 900 Chevron employees once labored.

Ā 

New owner Danny Sheena of SLS Properties revealed plans for apartments, a movie theater and a gym on the west side of the prime tract. The first two floors of the proposed structure will be a parking garage with residential levels above.

Ā 

Ā ā€œBellaire Place will comparable to BLVD Place on Post Oak and San Felipe,ā€ the developer says, referring to an urban mixed-use project with a Whole Foods, office space and a plethora of restaurants and boutiques at a major Galleria-area intersection.

Ā 

Sheena did share with shocked residents with the disclosure is now in talks with BLVD Place developer Ed Wulfe about a second apartment tower on the eastern edge of the former Chevron land. A Wulfe entity owns the adjoining Bellaire parcel, which currently includes the site of a Shell station at the northwest corner of Fournace and Loop 610.

Ā 

Sheenaā€™s plans donā€™t sound like paradise to all of the nearby homeowners. Ā Many have concerns about an increase in flooding, crime, traffic, environmental impact and more stress on already overstretched city services.

Ā 

Residents expressed other concerns about having a high-rise apartment building nearby.Ā  ā€œWhen buying your dream home, how many of you said, `Wow, Iā€™d really like to live next to an 85-foot seven-story apartment building?ā€™ā€ one resident quipped.Ā  When the developer purchased the property, he was well-aware that multi-family homes/apartments were not a ā€œpermitted use.ā€

Ā 

Several residents emphasized that they bought in Bellaire because unlike Houston, Bellaire is zoned and that zoning does not include apartments.

Ā 

ā€œWeā€™re expecting you to protect our interests. Youā€™re not here to increase the revenue for the city. You are here to look after our safety,ā€ said Bellaire resident Linda Mazzagatti, ā€œDonā€™t do this to those of us who have invested a lifetime here.Ā  My home is sacred to me.ā€

Ā 

Backers of Sheenaā€™s new development came to the City Hall meeting wearing white T-shirts with the words, ā€œI Support Bellaire Smart Development.ā€

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

They act likeĀ they are going to build low income apartments here.Ā  I'm sure the rent for the apartment developmentĀ will be priced accordingly.Ā  1400.00 and up for one bedroom, 2300.00 and up for 2 bedroom.Ā  This is a good location if you don't want to live in the congested Galleria area and not too far from all the entertainment inside the loop.

Edited by htownbro
grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://realtynewsreport.com/2019/08/06/methodist-hospital-moving-to-prime-bellaire-site/

Ā 

BELLAIRE, TexasĀ ā€“ (Realty News Report) ā€“ Ā Bellaire Place, the former Chevron property located along Loop 610 in Bellaire, has secured Houston Methodist Hospital as an office-space anchor tenant.

Ā 

Chevron left behind 10-story and 6-story office buildings totaling more than 500,000 SF, plus a fitness center, cafeteria and auditorium.

Ā 

Houston Methodist leased 100,812 SF of the former Chevron office space for administrative use, reports Colliersā€™ Davidson, who specializes in healthcare real estate and other commercial property.

Ā 

Davidson reports Methodist will occupy floors 8, 9 and 10 of the 10-story building and move in during the first quarter of 2020.

• Like 7

https://realtynewsreport.com/2019/08/09/throwing-shade-bellaire-residents-question-height-of-proposed-towers-on-loop-610-tract/

Ā 

BELLAIRE ā€“ (By Michelle Leigh Smith for Realty News Report) ā€“ Plans for the 30-acre Bellaire Place development, located on the site of the former Chevron campus at Loop 610 continue to draw scrutiny by the Bellaire Planning & Zoning Commission.

Ā 

Plans for developing the land were discussed Thursday night at a second public hearing before the Bellaire Planning & Zoning Commission. The discussion focused on 9.6 acres at 5901 S. Rice Avenue for request for a Specific Use Permit (SUP) to allow for an increase from 53 to 85 ft. to be used for an indoor theatre and fitness club.

Ā 

Questions were raised about the height of new development on the site and the shade they might throw on neighboring residential properties.

Ā 

Developer Danny Sheena, representing SLS Properties, wants to build a 145,000 SF interior building towering to 85 feet tall.Ā  He shared some math ratios referencing height and told the Commission that they should grant the request ā€œas a matter of right.ā€

Ā 

Ā ā€œTechnically, I could go another 33 feet to 101 feet,ā€ he said. Ā As the hearing went on, Sheena said the structure might be used as a big box store if the fitness facility didnā€™t materialize.

Ā 

ā€œKirksey (Architecture) did a shading study about how the 164-foot garage would impact the residents on Mayfair,ā€ says Sheena. ā€œThat showed that the only impact to light would be in December only for about 30 minutes, so basically no affect for the residents,ā€ Sheena said.

Ā 

Resident Thomas Reed presented another set of drawings and photographs that showed major shadowing at various times throughout the day, after sunset, at noon, 45 minutes after sunrise. ā€œIn contrast to what he (Sheena) showed you, which was a confusing collage of colors of olives and pinks, I will actually show you a real shadow,ā€ says Reed. ā€œI ask you to ask yourself if these are consistent with the Comprehensive Plan.ā€

Ā 

Reed asked for protection to adjacent areas and adequate separation and buffering to the single-family homes on Mayfair Street.

Ā 

The residents have been hearing various versions of the Bellaire Place plans from Sheena since September 2018.

Ā 

ā€œEvery time we turn around, something is different,ā€ said Bellaire resident Jim Balogh.

Ā 

ā€œThe long shadow will kill vegetation because of the additional lack of sunlight and lack of the greenspace,ā€ said Ā Catherine Lewis, a geologist with 30 years of industry experience. ā€œThe setback based on line of sight isnā€™t realistic as far as the shade is concerned and there is a second garage that is not shown.ā€

Ā 

ā€œI call for a moratorium on this project,ā€ said resident Lynn McBee. ā€œWe have not received a final report from the Texas Coalition for Environmental Quality and that is essential. If it goes to City Council, I will request that the City hire a professional consultant who is not from Houston.ā€

Ā 

Edited by ekdrm2d1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

With ~ 100 degree temps day after day recently I would be be dancing on the ceiling right now if an 80 foot building cast a shadow over my property.

Ā 

FYI there are many many plants (including natives) that grow very well in full shade. Heck a lot of the vegetation in my yard are not doing well due to the lack of shade and infrequent rain

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

4800 Fournace Place ā€“ Tentative ā€“ Planning and Zoning Meeting ā€“ October 10, 2019

https://www.bellairecivicclub.com/4800-fournace-place-tentative-planning-and-zoning-meeting-october-10-2019/

Ā 

The consideration for the Bellaire Placeā€™s six applications is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 6 PM.

Ā 

An environmental report and presentation on the property is also tentatively scheduled to take place at the same meeting.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Multifamily portion nixed.

Ā 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/city-county/2019/10/22/vote-on-chevron-property-delayed/

Ā 

Chevron campus at an Oct. 17 Planning and Zoning Commission workshop.

The plans reduced the maximum height from the previously requested 85 feet to 65 feet and removed the proposedĀ multifamily developmentĀ on the western side of the property.

Ā 

Updated plans for the eastern portion of the property could include a hotel rising up to 84 feet, which would also require P&Z approval, but SLS does not yet own that land, SLS owner Danny Sheehan said.

Ā 

The majority of the property plans show the space being used for retail, restaurants, office space and parking garages, according to the the revised master plan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, DNAguy said:

Ā 

Just make one large surface parking lot.

Ā 

No shade to worry about and no basket of deplorable renters.

Ā 

Ā 

I would be pretty funny if the residents of Bellaire killed this only for the buildings to stay abandoned and become filledĀ with squatters and other vagrants.Ā 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/development/2020/02/17/work-on-new-zoning-district-for-former-chevron-property-inches-forward/

Ā 

The City of Bellaire is making progress toward potentially creating a new zoning district at the former Chevron campus, at 4800 and 4900 Fournace Place.

The Bellaire Planning & Zoning Commission approved a scope of work on Feb. 13 for professional services to assist in drafting amendments to the cityā€™s planning and zoning regulations to create a new North Bellaire Special Development District.

Ā 

• Like 4