KPRC Reports Red Cross Debit Card Abuse

Jeebus

I stand corrected. It seems that there is something black people exceed white people in - federal prison population percentages:

US Population By Race

Federal Prison Population By Race

It seems that with some simple math, that the white population has approximately .0005 % of its people in federal prison. The black population has approximately .003% of its people in prison.

All fact - no opinion.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stand corrected. It seems that there is something black people exceed white people in: federal prison population percentages:

US Population By Race

Federal Prison Population By Race

It seems that with some simple math, that the white population has approximately .0005 % of its people in federal prison. The black population has approximately .003% of its people in prison.

All fact - no opinion.

Another fact. Blacks are in prison for drug related offenses more often than not. If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison? Got an answer for that Jeebus? And what is your point with the black bashing?

Another fact. Blacks are in prison for drug related offenses more often than not. If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison? Got an answer for that Jeebus? And what is your point with the black bashing?

Okay.. So first prove that blacks use drugs & alcohol less than whites do, and then I'll address your question. You and nmainguy are still batting zero when it comes to factual conversation by the way.

Oh, and how is pointing out the factual truth about a race considered bashing again? I said nothing negative about any race. I only pointed out the numbers & percentages. No to mention the proof to back my statements.

Still batting zero.. :)

Okay.. So first prove that blacks use drugs & alcohol less than whites do, and then I'll address your question. You and nmainguy are still batting zero when it comes to factual conversation by the way.

Oh, and how is pointing out the factual truth about a race considered bashing again? I said nothing negative about any race. I only pointed out the numbers & percentages. No to mention the proof to back my statements.

Race/Ethnicity

Rates of current illicit drug use among the major racial/ethnic groups in 2001 were 7.2 percent for whites, 6.4 percent for Hispanics, and 7.4 percent for blacks. The rate was highest among American Indians/Alaska Natives (9.9 percent) and persons reporting more than one race (12.6 percent). Asians had the lowest rate.

Although Asians as a group had the lowest rate of current illicit drug use, there were variations among the Asian subgroups. For persons aged 12 or older, the rates were 1.3 percent for Chinese, 2.2 percent for Asian Indians or Filipinos, 3.0 percent for Vietnamese, 4.5 percent for Japanese, 5.0 percent for Koreans, and 5.1 percent for Pacific Islanders excluding Native Hawaiians (Figure 2.12). To ensure adequate sample sizes for these population subgroups, these estimates are based on combined 2000 and 2001 NHSDA data.

Based on combined 2000 and 2001 data, rates of past month illicit drug use in the Hispanic population aged 12 or older were 9.2 percent for Puerto Ricans, 5.8 percent for Mexicans, 3.7 percent for Cubans, and 3.6 percent for Central or South Americans.

Among youths aged 12 to 17, the rate of current illicit drug use was highest among American Indians/Alaska Natives (23.0 percent for combined 2000 and 2001 data).

From policyAlmanc.org. OK backs use drugs at a rate of 7.4% to whites at 7.2%. Statistically pretty much equal. OK so where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?

Oh yeah, quoting raw statistics and using them to justify your bias, without any further analysis into those statistics is bashing in my opinion. Remember there are liars, damn liars and statistics. They can be twisted to suit your twisted views.

This is from the NIAAA, a group that studies alcoholism.

"Alcohol and Minorities

Do blacks, Hispanics, American Indians, and Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States drink more or less than whites drink? Do they have more alcohol-related medical problems? Do they receive treatment in proportion to their problems? In 1990, 68.3 percent of whites, 64.5 percent of Hispanics, and 55.6 percent of blacks used alcohol (1)."

Here's a quote from a college study group.

"Contrary to stereotypes seen in the media, several studies have found use of alcohol and other substances among racial and ethnic minority college students to be lower than among white students. At historically black colleges, for instance, about half the percentage of students report using tobacco, marijuana, or cocaine compared with students at predominantly white colleges.1 Because of the large variations in use rates, before a college begins prevention work it is important for program administrators to identify the differing patterns of alcohol and other drug use among the racial and ethnic groups on campus."

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.campusblues.com/drugs9.asp

Your original question to me:

Another fact. Blacks are in prison for drug related offenses more often than not. If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison?

Then your reply to my question resquesting proof of your statement:

OK backs use drugs at a rate of 7.4% to whites at 7.2%. Statistically pretty much equal. OK so where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?

So, to answer your original question of: "If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison?", my answer is that you proved that your question holds no validity. You proved to yourself that blacks & whites both statistically use the same amount of drugs based on percentage. So trying to figure out why there are more blacks in prison even though they use less drugs is moot.

And to answer your second question of: "where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?", is that there is a higher percentage of blacks in prison because a higher percentage of black people, according to the Federal Prison System website, have been convicted of felonies.

Oh yeah, quoting raw statistics and using them to justify your bias, without any further analysis into those statistics is bashing in my opinion. Remember there are liars, damn liars and statistics. They can be twisted to suit your twisted views.

Desperation? Why else would you even post this? Even in black & white you still can't accept the truth when presented.

agreed - and statistics are statistics - there are SO many errors in them (sampling, standard deviations and so forth). and this is for a population of drug users...of course there's no accuracy! :rolleyes:

This thread is retarted!  KRPC can go to hell!

:lol:

As to your quote on prison populations, there are numerous reasons for the higher numbers, much of it determined by the type of crime one is imprisoned for.

As to the drug offender population, the way in which the drug is used and sold, as well as the police response, accounts for large discrepancies in the numbers of blacks versus whites arrested. Also, blacks are offered and sentenced to prison at far higher percentages than whites for the same crimes.

An example of this is that poor blacks buy and sell on the street, in plain view, whereas wealthier whites typically buy and sell in private. Police officers, not surprisingly, go after the lower hanging fruit. An offense can be observed and an arrest made in a poor section of town in minutes, while tracking down a dealer in wealthier areas could take months.

Why blacks are put in prison more often than whites for the same crime points out a subtle form of racism. Some of it is also as MidtownCoog said. Wealthier criminals can afford better lawyers. I have found that, for the same offense, my black clients get probation just as often as my white clients. But, if a client cannot post bond...those clients get prison time much more often than those on bond.

It is much more complicated than simple prison population charts.

Your original question to me:

Then your reply to my question resquesting proof of your statement:

So, to answer your original question of: "If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison?", my answer is that you proved that your question holds no validity. You proved to yourself that blacks & whites both statistically use the same amount of drugs based on percentage. So trying to figure out why there are more blacks in prison even though they use less drugs is moot.

And to answer your second question of: "[i[]where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?", is that there is a higher percentage of blacks in prison because a higher percentage of black people, according to the Federal Prison System website, have been convicted of felonies.

Blacks use drugs at the same rate as whites. Prison populations are made up largely of drug and drug related offenders. Why does my question hold no validity?

And why have a larger percentage of blacks been convicted of felonies when arguably whites are committing these felonies at the same rate as blacks?

agreed - and statistics are statistics - there are SO many errors in them (sampling, standard deviations and so forth).

Of all numbers I would think accurate, it would be one of a prison system. Its not like the U.S. census. When you do a head count, EVERYONE is counted.

Now polls & surveys - yes, they are single handly the work of biased media.

i wasn't referring to statistics taken in a confined environment - sorry i didn't make that more clear :rolleyes:

oh WAIT - a statistic is:

"a quantity (as the mean of a sample) that is computed from a sample; specifically : ESTIMATE" (merriam webster)

so i guess a count in a prison would be different

Of all numbers I would think accurate, it would be one of a prison system. Its not like the U.S. census. When you do a head count, EVERYONE is counted.

Now polls & surveys - yes, they are single handly the work of biased media.

No one is questioning the accuracy of the statistics. But there is more to the picture then raw numbers. They do not tell the whole story.

Blacks use drugs at the same rate as whites. Prison populations are made up largely of drug and drug related offenders. Why does my question hold no validity?

And why have a larger percentage of blacks been convicted of felonies when arguably whites are committing these felonies at the same rate as blacks?

Okay, I see the context of your question now. If prisons are made up largely of drug offenders (approx 53%), and whites along with blacks both use drugs equally, then why are there more blacks in prison than whites (percentage-wise)?

Well, the best answer is that if I get pulled over in my modest four door car, not playing rap music, wearing clothes that are not exceptionally baggy - or that are emulative of the "thug/gangsta rap" nature, and speak politely to the police officer, then I'm 10 times LESS likely to get searched for my nickel bag of marijuana in my front pocket.

Is that right? Maybe - maybe not. Conservatives say "yes", Liberals say "no". I say yes because I don't fit the profile, but then of course I say no because of the nickel bag in my pocket.

My point is that if you look like a duck, walk like a duck, and quack like a duck - then just maybe, you might be a duck. Thats why certain people hate police profiling, and why others simply don't mind it.

If you met me, you'd never think in a million years that I'm a duck (metaphorically speaking) - but let tell you one thing: "quack - quack" :D

No one is questioning the accuracy of the statistics. But there is more to the picture then raw numbers. They do not tell the whole story.

i always question their accuracy (along with questioning everything else in the world :P )

you make a good point though about raw numbers

Take it from someone who has been involved in Criminal Justice for 18 years. The numbers of people in a prison bear no reliable resemblance to the population at large. They merely represent the people who were caught AND convicted, and could not obtain probation.

Besides, except for drunk drivers, alcohol abusers do not end up in prison at all for that crime.

As to the population at large, most studies show minorities abuse at lower rates than whites, except American Indians.

Yes, statistics can be used any way you want them. But, how many of these purses have been sold, how many expensive watches. C'mon people, there have been over 100,000 debit cards given out. How much of a percentage of abuse do you think is going on?

Better yet, is it even abuse? You can't tell people how to spend their money, this is America the last I checked.

...why are there more blacks in prison than whites (percentage-wise)?

Well, the best answer is that if I get pulled over in my modest four door car, not playing rap music, wearing clothes that are not exceptionally baggy - or that are emulative of the "thug/gangsta rap" nature, and speak politely to the police officer, then I'm 10 times LESS likely to get searched for my nickel bag of marijuana in my front pocket.

So if blacks would just act "white", everything would be OK, right? <_<

And assuming that your reasoning is correct, then it's obvious that we have a racist judicial system. You're equating a preference for certain types of music and clothing with crime...and this is supposed to be the "Land of the Free".

What if the tables were turned, and police were suspicious of white guys driving Reliant-K cars and listening to Rush Limbaugh? Would you change the station and start listening to some hip-hop?

So if blacks would just act "white", everything would be OK, right?  <_<

And assuming that your reasoning is correct, then it's obvious that we have a racist judicial system.  You're equating a preference for certain types of music and clothing with crime...and this is supposed to be the "Land of the Free".

What if the tables were turned, and police were suspicious of white guys driving Reliant-K cars and listening to Rush Limbaugh?  Would you change the station and start listening to some hip-hop?

We do have a racist judicial system. I never denied that.

And yes, If driving a Honda Accord sedan while listening to Hush-Bimbo was the profile - damn straight I'd reset my pre-sets to 104.9. The last thing I want is to be hassled by the cops. So yes, I'll do whateve it takes to be left alone.

Oh, and I already listen to Hip-hop. I just don't emulate it in real life.

Archived