KPRC Reports Red Cross Debit Card Abuse

Jeebus

It's on the news right now. I'll post a link if they put it on their website.

Excerpt From Newscast:

-

A girl who works in a "luxury" store in the Galleria admits that she let a man with a Red Cross debit card purchase a $250.00 bracelet.

Red Cross admits that there is a high amount of Red Cross issued debit card abuse, but they claim to be helpless over it.

-

..I have to say though, after watching the report, that the girl ought to be ashamed of herself for selling the bracelet - as much as the man who bought it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excerpt From Newscast:

-

A girl who works in a "luxury" store in the Galleria admits that she let a man with a Red Cross debit card purchase a $250.00 bracelet.

Red Cross admits that there is a high amount of Red Cross issued debit card abuse, but they claim to be helpless over it.

-

..I have to say though, after watching the report, that the girl ought to be ashamed of herself for selling the bracelet - as much as the man who bought it.

And what would be her legal standing in refusing to make a sale to a paying customer?

I agree with Jeebus. The sales girl could have refused. But, instead, it sounds like she sold the merchandise, knowing it was improper, only to call the media to brag about it, making her only slightly less unethical than the evacuee who abused our generosity.

Having said this, it doesn't change my opinion about my donations. I make my donations knowing full well that some will not appreciate it, and others will not make the best use of it. That is human nature. We cannot save everyone from themselves...nor should we.

Having said this, it doesn't change my opinion about my donations.  I make my donations knowing full well that some will not appreciate it, and others will not make the best use of it.  That is human nature.  We cannot save everyone from themselves...nor should we.

You're right about the donations. I guess I am a little too bitter over the Red Cross thing. Still, I hope that everyone would research the charity they intend to give, and ensure that their charity will use the donations as intended.

You know, if I had lost EVERYTHING, and had been evacuated from my home with no clear timeframe if and when I could ever return, was living in a crowded, noisy shelter with constant noise and distractions everywhere, no privacy, didn't know STILL where some of my family members were, was a little frustrated because I couldn't get any money from my local bank account, was tired of dealing with insurance agents and other government types, wearing used, ill-fitting clothing, eating food I wasn't used to, and someone gave me $2000.00, I MIGHT think going over to a local liquor store to buy some hooch was a good way to mellow out for a while, and hopefully the residents of the community where I was staying, would be sympathetic and compassionate enough to understand this desire. No, it's not a basic need, and maybe it's not right that I spend my government's money this way, but at the time, it might seem like a good idea.

Excerpt From Newscast:

-

-

Geezz, maybe the man bought it for his wife/girlfriend/daughter or mom. When you loose EVERYTHING of value and importance, something like that means a lot. It will probably be something she charishes forever. What's wrong with having a little beauty and a little something in a time of ugliness?

When you donate your money its gone. If you want to put stipulations on your contrubution you should give items, not cash. I gave three bags of new Nordstrom brand outfits in different sizes. With quality shoes and purses. Something a person could start a life with, get an office job with. Yeah, it was a little bit of luxury, but these people lost not only their basics, but things that made their lives liveable.

There are about 4000 residents in the Reliant complex now, and much more than that in the past week(s). Most do not have any access to vehicles, so of course the nearest liquor store will get a bulk of that business.

In the US population, I think you can count on 5% being alcoholics, and if I'm not mistaken about 60% of the US population drinks alcohol. So, even if you had a few hundred people in line at the nearest liquor store to the Reliant complex to get their "johnny Walker", that's still a small statistical number.

So please, tell me how you're backing up your sweeping statement????

Just some more hearsay from someone who was at the Galleria this last weekend shopping with his wife; the store clerk at one shop said she had sold hundreds of very expensive Tourneau watches with the debit cards. She told him it was like Christmas.

Anyone know why they switched from debit cards to straight deposits into bank accounts? I was told this was done but no explanation was given. Could they have been trying to avoid public relations backlash from reports of non-essential purchases?

QUOTE(Jeebus @ Wednesday, September 14th, 2005 @ 10:09am)

The difference is that you probably weren't chronically getting your "drink on" everyday prior to Katrina, as they most likely were.

That's an awfully sweeping statement!  Can you support that argument?

Jeebus is an absolute master at sweeping statements.

B)

redscare said:

Having said this, it doesn't change my opinion about my donations. I make my donations knowing full well that some will not appreciate it, and others will not make the best use of it. That is human nature. We cannot save everyone from themselves...nor should we.

the mark of a true giver. :)

FWIW, there is a liquor store at the corner of Murworth and Main, right next to Timmy Chan's.

I think I'll go buy some lushes a drink today.

Kinda reminds me of watching the flood waters move into my town home during Allision.

First thing I said to my wife was "where's the shot glass? we are going to need it".

FWIW, there is a liquor store at the corner of Murworth and Main, right next to Timmy Chan's.

I think I'll go buy some lushes a drink today.

Kinda reminds me of watching the flood waters move into my town home during Allision. 

First thing I said to my wife was "where's the shot glass?  we are going to need it".

Allison...geez louise...we dispensed with the shot glass and went straight to the bottle. :blink:

B)

The difference is that you probably weren't chronically getting your "drink on" everyday prior to Katrina, as they most likely were.

I most certainly do!

Funny thing is, Jeebus, virtually every study and survey I've ever seen shows that whites use and abuse both alcohol and drugs at higher percentages than blacks. So there is likely no more evacuees "getting their drink on" than a similar white population would.

Besides, after the hell they went through, my question is, why haven't they drank more?

Funny thing is, Jeebus, virtually every study and survey I've ever seen shows that whites use and abuse both alcohol and drugs at higher percentages than blacks.  So there is likely no more evacuees "getting their drink on" than a similar white population would.

Besides, after the hell they went through, my question is, why haven't they drank more?

Considering that whites make up over double what blacks make in the population, I don't see how you could ever find more blacks that do anything more than whites.

That's why blacks are the minority.. remember?

Archived