Sign in to follow this  
Jeebus

Kprc Reports Red Cross Debit Card Abuse.

It's on the news right now. I'll post a link if they put it on their website.

Excerpt From Newscast:

-

A girl who works in a "luxury" store in the Galleria admits that she let a man with a Red Cross debit card purchase a $250.00 bracelet.

Red Cross admits that there is a high amount of Red Cross issued debit card abuse, but they claim to be helpless over it.

-

..I have to say though, after watching the report, that the girl ought to be ashamed of herself for selling the bracelet - as much as the man who bought it.

Excerpt From Newscast:

-

A girl who works in a "luxury" store in the Galleria admits that she let a man with a Red Cross debit card purchase a $250.00 bracelet.

Red Cross admits that there is a high amount of Red Cross issued debit card abuse, but they claim to be helpless over it.

-

..I have to say though, after watching the report, that the girl ought to be ashamed of herself for selling the bracelet - as much as the man who bought it.

And what would be her legal standing in refusing to make a sale to a paying customer?

And what would be her legal standing in refusing to make a sale to a paying customer?

Not legal ground - but rather moral. The business had the right to say no, but chose to sell the bracelet anyway. So maybe I shouldn't blame the girl - but the whole business.

Not legal ground - but rather moral. The business had the right to say no, but chose to sell the bracelet anyway. So maybe I shouldn't blame the girl - but the whole business.

I agree with Jeebus. The sales girl could have refused. But, instead, it sounds like she sold the merchandise, knowing it was improper, only to call the media to brag about it, making her only slightly less unethical than the evacuee who abused our generosity.

Having said this, it doesn't change my opinion about my donations. I make my donations knowing full well that some will not appreciate it, and others will not make the best use of it. That is human nature. We cannot save everyone from themselves...nor should we.

Having said this, it doesn't change my opinion about my donations.  I make my donations knowing full well that some will not appreciate it, and others will not make the best use of it.  That is human nature.  We cannot save everyone from themselves...nor should we.

You're right about the donations. I guess I am a little too bitter over the Red Cross thing. Still, I hope that everyone would research the charity they intend to give, and ensure that their charity will use the donations as intended.

You're right about researching your charities. Myself, I haven't donated to United Way in over 15 years, ever since their executive payroll scandal.

My favorites are the ones clogging up the line at the local Spec's using their FEMA money (not the debit cards, the money) to buy bottles of Johnny Walker. And they have the nerve to ask if they can get a "Louisiana discount."

You know, if I had lost EVERYTHING, and had been evacuated from my home with no clear timeframe if and when I could ever return, was living in a crowded, noisy shelter with constant noise and distractions everywhere, no privacy, didn't know STILL where some of my family members were, was a little frustrated because I couldn't get any money from my local bank account, was tired of dealing with insurance agents and other government types, wearing used, ill-fitting clothing, eating food I wasn't used to, and someone gave me $2000.00, I MIGHT think going over to a local liquor store to buy some hooch was a good way to mellow out for a while, and hopefully the residents of the community where I was staying, would be sympathetic and compassionate enough to understand this desire. No, it's not a basic need, and maybe it's not right that I spend my government's money this way, but at the time, it might seem like a good idea.

Excerpt From Newscast:

-

-

Geezz, maybe the man bought it for his wife/girlfriend/daughter or mom. When you loose EVERYTHING of value and importance, something like that means a lot. It will probably be something she charishes forever. What's wrong with having a little beauty and a little something in a time of ugliness?

When you donate your money its gone. If you want to put stipulations on your contrubution you should give items, not cash. I gave three bags of new Nordstrom brand outfits in different sizes. With quality shoes and purses. Something a person could start a life with, get an office job with. Yeah, it was a little bit of luxury, but these people lost not only their basics, but things that made their lives liveable.

My favorites are the ones clogging up the line at the local Spec's using their FEMA money (not the debit cards, the money) to buy bottles of Johnny Walker.  And they have the nerve to ask if they can get a "Louisiana discount."

Was it Johnny Red or Black label? :P

Whatever, if I went through what they went through, I'd be getting my drink on too!

The difference is that you probably weren't chronically getting your "drink on" everyday prior to Katrina, as they most likely were.

There are about 4000 residents in the Reliant complex now, and much more than that in the past week(s). Most do not have any access to vehicles, so of course the nearest liquor store will get a bulk of that business.

In the US population, I think you can count on 5% being alcoholics, and if I'm not mistaken about 60% of the US population drinks alcohol. So, even if you had a few hundred people in line at the nearest liquor store to the Reliant complex to get their "johnny Walker", that's still a small statistical number.

So please, tell me how you're backing up your sweeping statement????

Guest danax

Just some more hearsay from someone who was at the Galleria this last weekend shopping with his wife; the store clerk at one shop said she had sold hundreds of very expensive Tourneau watches with the debit cards. She told him it was like Christmas.

Anyone know why they switched from debit cards to straight deposits into bank accounts? I was told this was done but no explanation was given. Could they have been trying to avoid public relations backlash from reports of non-essential purchases?

QUOTE(Jeebus @ Wednesday, September 14th, 2005 @ 10:09am)

The difference is that you probably weren't chronically getting your "drink on" everyday prior to Katrina, as they most likely were.

That's an awfully sweeping statement!  Can you support that argument?

Jeebus is an absolute master at sweeping statements.

B)

redscare said:

Having said this, it doesn't change my opinion about my donations. I make my donations knowing full well that some will not appreciate it, and others will not make the best use of it. That is human nature. We cannot save everyone from themselves...nor should we.

the mark of a true giver. :)

FWIW, there is a liquor store at the corner of Murworth and Main, right next to Timmy Chan's.

I think I'll go buy some lushes a drink today.

Kinda reminds me of watching the flood waters move into my town home during Allision.

First thing I said to my wife was "where's the shot glass? we are going to need it".

FWIW, there is a liquor store at the corner of Murworth and Main, right next to Timmy Chan's.

I think I'll go buy some lushes a drink today.

Kinda reminds me of watching the flood waters move into my town home during Allision. 

First thing I said to my wife was "where's the shot glass?  we are going to need it".

Allison...geez louise...we dispensed with the shot glass and went straight to the bottle. :blink:

B)

Allison...geez louise...we dispensed with the shot glass and went straight to the bottle. :blink:

B)

I remember getting stranded at the Outpost during Allison. Could't leave until the next AM. The alcohol sure helped.

I most certainly do!

Funny thing is, Jeebus, virtually every study and survey I've ever seen shows that whites use and abuse both alcohol and drugs at higher percentages than blacks. So there is likely no more evacuees "getting their drink on" than a similar white population would.

Besides, after the hell they went through, my question is, why haven't they drank more?

Funny thing is, Jeebus, virtually every study and survey I've ever seen shows that whites use and abuse both alcohol and drugs at higher percentages than blacks.  So there is likely no more evacuees "getting their drink on" than a similar white population would.

Besides, after the hell they went through, my question is, why haven't they drank more?

Considering that whites make up over double what blacks make in the population, I don't see how you could ever find more blacks that do anything more than whites.

That's why blacks are the minority.. remember?

Considering that whites make up over double what blacks make in the population, I don't see how you could ever find more blacks that do anything more than whites.

Yeah, Red! 'member? ;)

B)

He meant as a percentage of their population not total numbers.

Was Allison that storm back in 2001 that gave my house mold and forced my family to live in an apartment for 6 months, with a toddler and 15 year old dog that had to pee 35 times a day? I can't remember, I was hammered.

I stand corrected. It seems that there is something black people exceed white people in - federal prison population percentages:

US Population By Race

Federal Prison Population By Race

It seems that with some simple math, that the white population has approximately .0005 % of its people in federal prison. The black population has approximately .003% of its people in prison.

All fact - no opinion.

I showed some facts. Now lets see some facts about these driving surveys you talk about.

You do have some facts.. don't you?

I stand corrected. It seems that there is something black people exceed white people in: federal prison population percentages:

US Population By Race

Federal Prison Population By Race

It seems that with some simple math, that the white population has approximately .0005 % of its people in federal prison. The black population has approximately .003% of its people in prison.

All fact - no opinion.

Another fact. Blacks are in prison for drug related offenses more often than not. If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison? Got an answer for that Jeebus? And what is your point with the black bashing?

Another fact. Blacks are in prison for drug related offenses more often than not. If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison? Got an answer for that Jeebus? And what is your point with the black bashing?

Okay.. So first prove that blacks use drugs & alcohol less than whites do, and then I'll address your question. You and nmainguy are still batting zero when it comes to factual conversation by the way.

Oh, and how is pointing out the factual truth about a race considered bashing again? I said nothing negative about any race. I only pointed out the numbers & percentages. No to mention the proof to back my statements.

Still batting zero.. :)

Cuz us white devils can afford a good attorney...

Must work more, to do more coke...

This thread is retarted! KRPC can go to hell!

Wonder what their BIG STORY will be today? Radar's shots?

Okay.. So first prove that blacks use drugs & alcohol less than whites do, and then I'll address your question. You and nmainguy are still batting zero when it comes to factual conversation by the way.

Oh, and how is pointing out the factual truth about a race considered bashing again? I said nothing negative about any race. I only pointed out the numbers & percentages. No to mention the proof to back my statements.

Race/Ethnicity

Rates of current illicit drug use among the major racial/ethnic groups in 2001 were 7.2 percent for whites, 6.4 percent for Hispanics, and 7.4 percent for blacks. The rate was highest among American Indians/Alaska Natives (9.9 percent) and persons reporting more than one race (12.6 percent). Asians had the lowest rate.

Although Asians as a group had the lowest rate of current illicit drug use, there were variations among the Asian subgroups. For persons aged 12 or older, the rates were 1.3 percent for Chinese, 2.2 percent for Asian Indians or Filipinos, 3.0 percent for Vietnamese, 4.5 percent for Japanese, 5.0 percent for Koreans, and 5.1 percent for Pacific Islanders excluding Native Hawaiians (Figure 2.12). To ensure adequate sample sizes for these population subgroups, these estimates are based on combined 2000 and 2001 NHSDA data.

Based on combined 2000 and 2001 data, rates of past month illicit drug use in the Hispanic population aged 12 or older were 9.2 percent for Puerto Ricans, 5.8 percent for Mexicans, 3.7 percent for Cubans, and 3.6 percent for Central or South Americans.

Among youths aged 12 to 17, the rate of current illicit drug use was highest among American Indians/Alaska Natives (23.0 percent for combined 2000 and 2001 data).

From policyAlmanc.org. OK backs use drugs at a rate of 7.4% to whites at 7.2%. Statistically pretty much equal. OK so where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?

Oh yeah, quoting raw statistics and using them to justify your bias, without any further analysis into those statistics is bashing in my opinion. Remember there are liars, damn liars and statistics. They can be twisted to suit your twisted views.

This is from the NIAAA, a group that studies alcoholism.

"Alcohol and Minorities

Do blacks, Hispanics, American Indians, and Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States drink more or less than whites drink? Do they have more alcohol-related medical problems? Do they receive treatment in proportion to their problems? In 1990, 68.3 percent of whites, 64.5 percent of Hispanics, and 55.6 percent of blacks used alcohol (1)."

Here's a quote from a college study group.

"Contrary to stereotypes seen in the media, several studies have found use of alcohol and other substances among racial and ethnic minority college students to be lower than among white students. At historically black colleges, for instance, about half the percentage of students report using tobacco, marijuana, or cocaine compared with students at predominantly white colleges.1 Because of the large variations in use rates, before a college begins prevention work it is important for program administrators to identify the differing patterns of alcohol and other drug use among the racial and ethnic groups on campus."

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.campusblues.com/drugs9.asp

Your original question to me:

Another fact. Blacks are in prison for drug related offenses more often than not. If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison?

Then your reply to my question resquesting proof of your statement:

OK backs use drugs at a rate of 7.4% to whites at 7.2%. Statistically pretty much equal. OK so where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?

So, to answer your original question of: "If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison?", my answer is that you proved that your question holds no validity. You proved to yourself that blacks & whites both statistically use the same amount of drugs based on percentage. So trying to figure out why there are more blacks in prison even though they use less drugs is moot.

And to answer your second question of: "where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?", is that there is a higher percentage of blacks in prison because a higher percentage of black people, according to the Federal Prison System website, have been convicted of felonies.

Oh yeah, quoting raw statistics and using them to justify your bias, without any further analysis into those statistics is bashing in my opinion. Remember there are liars, damn liars and statistics. They can be twisted to suit your twisted views.

Desperation? Why else would you even post this? Even in black & white you still can't accept the truth when presented.

agreed - and statistics are statistics - there are SO many errors in them (sampling, standard deviations and so forth). and this is for a population of drug users...of course there's no accuracy! :rolleyes:

This thread is retarted!  KRPC can go to hell!

:lol:

As to your quote on prison populations, there are numerous reasons for the higher numbers, much of it determined by the type of crime one is imprisoned for.

As to the drug offender population, the way in which the drug is used and sold, as well as the police response, accounts for large discrepancies in the numbers of blacks versus whites arrested. Also, blacks are offered and sentenced to prison at far higher percentages than whites for the same crimes.

An example of this is that poor blacks buy and sell on the street, in plain view, whereas wealthier whites typically buy and sell in private. Police officers, not surprisingly, go after the lower hanging fruit. An offense can be observed and an arrest made in a poor section of town in minutes, while tracking down a dealer in wealthier areas could take months.

Why blacks are put in prison more often than whites for the same crime points out a subtle form of racism. Some of it is also as MidtownCoog said. Wealthier criminals can afford better lawyers. I have found that, for the same offense, my black clients get probation just as often as my white clients. But, if a client cannot post bond...those clients get prison time much more often than those on bond.

It is much more complicated than simple prison population charts.

Your original question to me:

Then your reply to my question resquesting proof of your statement:

So, to answer your original question of: "If, percentage wise, blacks use drugs less than whites why do they have a higher percentage in prison?", my answer is that you proved that your question holds no validity. You proved to yourself that blacks & whites both statistically use the same amount of drugs based on percentage. So trying to figure out why there are more blacks in prison even though they use less drugs is moot.

And to answer your second question of: "[i[]where is your "theary" on the higher percentage of balcks in prison?", is that there is a higher percentage of blacks in prison because a higher percentage of black people, according to the Federal Prison System website, have been convicted of felonies.

Blacks use drugs at the same rate as whites. Prison populations are made up largely of drug and drug related offenders. Why does my question hold no validity?

And why have a larger percentage of blacks been convicted of felonies when arguably whites are committing these felonies at the same rate as blacks?

agreed - and statistics are statistics - there are SO many errors in them (sampling, standard deviations and so forth).

Of all numbers I would think accurate, it would be one of a prison system. Its not like the U.S. census. When you do a head count, EVERYONE is counted.

Now polls & surveys - yes, they are single handly the work of biased media.

i wasn't referring to statistics taken in a confined environment - sorry i didn't make that more clear :rolleyes:

oh WAIT - a statistic is:

"a quantity (as the mean of a sample) that is computed from a sample; specifically : ESTIMATE" (merriam webster)

so i guess a count in a prison would be different

Of all numbers I would think accurate, it would be one of a prison system. Its not like the U.S. census. When you do a head count, EVERYONE is counted.

Now polls & surveys - yes, they are single handly the work of biased media.

No one is questioning the accuracy of the statistics. But there is more to the picture then raw numbers. They do not tell the whole story.

I heard on the Tom Joyner Morning Show in Miami that some lady in Atlanta purchased some $800 purse at the Louis Vuitton store. As they mentioned, I am also surprised that they let them use it.

Blacks use drugs at the same rate as whites. Prison populations are made up largely of drug and drug related offenders. Why does my question hold no validity?

And why have a larger percentage of blacks been convicted of felonies when arguably whites are committing these felonies at the same rate as blacks?

Okay, I see the context of your question now. If prisons are made up largely of drug offenders (approx 53%), and whites along with blacks both use drugs equally, then why are there more blacks in prison than whites (percentage-wise)?

Well, the best answer is that if I get pulled over in my modest four door car, not playing rap music, wearing clothes that are not exceptionally baggy - or that are emulative of the "thug/gangsta rap" nature, and speak politely to the police officer, then I'm 10 times LESS likely to get searched for my nickel bag of marijuana in my front pocket.

Is that right? Maybe - maybe not. Conservatives say "yes", Liberals say "no". I say yes because I don't fit the profile, but then of course I say no because of the nickel bag in my pocket.

My point is that if you look like a duck, walk like a duck, and quack like a duck - then just maybe, you might be a duck. Thats why certain people hate police profiling, and why others simply don't mind it.

If you met me, you'd never think in a million years that I'm a duck (metaphorically speaking) - but let tell you one thing: "quack - quack" :D

I heard on the Tom Joyner Morning Show in Miami that some lady in Atlanta purchased some $800 purse at the Louis Vuitton store.  As they mentioned, I am also surprised that they let them use it.

I can't understand anyone paying 800.00 for a purse. Rich or destitute.

No one is questioning the accuracy of the statistics. But there is more to the picture then raw numbers. They do not tell the whole story.

i always question their accuracy (along with questioning everything else in the world :P )

you make a good point though about raw numbers