More Houston Macy's Closing

Sorry to see the Greenspoint store close, although I've expected it each time they've announced a new round of store closures over the past several years. Its demise will make the mall even more of a ghost town than it already is, if that's possible. 

Probably not too many folks still around who remember how nice a department store it was in its heyday. It's been a mere shell of what it once was for a long time now. 

e3db7d3957c1bbb24cdda7ccf48a5efa.jpg

Macy's, everywhere, used to be very nice.  I now find them stuffed to the gills, over crowded with merchandise splayed out like Un-folded jetsam and with staff that are either too few to be found or too poorly trained to be positively impactful to the customer experience (or both).  I find it a forgone conclusion that their sales are down.

16 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Sorry to see the Greenspoint store close, although I've expected it each time they've announced a new round of store closures over the past several years. Its demise will make the mall even more of a ghost town than it already is, if that's possible. 

Probably not too many folks still around who remember how nice a department store it was in its heyday. It's been a mere shell of what it once was for a long time now. 

e3db7d3957c1bbb24cdda7ccf48a5efa.jpg

In the Greenspoint thread, I found the picture of what that same perspective looked like a few years ago. It was quite depressing.

• 2 months later...

Definitely not surprised the West Oaks Macy's held on for this long. The mall was already starting to go downhill due to competition from First Colony and Memorial City when it was still Foley's, and when Macy's took over the "think globally, shop locally" appeal of Foley's faded away completely. Macy's has too many stores for the target audience it has, and this is not going to be the last time it downsizes. The focus for Macy's now will be on its Macy's Backstage stores (off-price offshoots of their regular stores, some of which will have them) as well as its 150 "top door" locations that will offer the fullest assortments of all of its merchandise, including 30 "platinum doors" that will be getting the most attention.

As far as Macy's in Houston is concerned:

CLOSED

Greenspoint, Pasadena Town Square/Plaza Paseo, West Oaks

Top Doors

The Galleria, Memorial City, First Colony, Willowbrook Women's (original Foley's), The Woodlands main store (original Foley's), Baybrook, Deerbrook (very surprised)

Potentially Vulnerable

Almeda, San Jacinto, Post Oak (College Station), Willowbrook Men's (original Montgomery Ward), The Woodland's children's store (potential space for H&M)

Stuck in the Middle

Pearland, The Woodlands furniture gallery (demo for Crate & Barrel, perhaps?)

On 1/5/2017 at 11:49 AM, IronTiger said:

In the Greenspoint thread, I found the picture of what that same perspective looked like a few years ago. It was quite depressing.

If you thought it was depressing several years ago, try this (taken yesterday):

33500123541_947a03704e.jpg

The only items that were left for sale in the entire store (aside from the fixtures) was a small section of men's clothing (mostly work pants), a small section of women's clothing, and a pathetic-looking table displaying several heavily-discounted coffee makers. 

Archived