Pierce, Brazos, St. Joseph, Heiner St.

Avabamse

Construction started on this little wedge of Houston terra firma right after the new year. The location is adjacent to the Houston Technology Center & the old Boy Scout office (most recently Mr Peeples).

Location is between Pierce / St. Joseph Pkwy (or 45 Pierce Elevated) & Heiner / Brazos. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7527004,-95.3748876,132m/data=!3m1!1e3

There also appears to be a bit of site work occurring on the even smaller triangular piece across Heiner from this & directly north of the old Boy Scout office. That 2nd piece of land nearly shares the parking lot of that Boy Scout office.

IMG_0936.jpg

I know what you mean regarding equipment staging or storage. There's definite site development working occurring here.

That dirt mound in the middle is all fresh dirt brought to the site & piled about 12-15 high. The tractors are turning soil all the way to the north side of the property where the entrance ramp at I-45 from St. Joseph Pkwy. It's a misleadingly large parcel.

(Random aside ... looks like Lorenzo's is coming to either where The Republic or Mr Peeples were located. Signs announcing "Now Hiring" at both locations. Too bad Black Finn couldn't come back.)

I think you re on the right track. This looks like a site improvement for Super Bowl. It is on a ramp to 45 so they probably wanted to spruce up this area.

Looks like a berm to me and I bet they bring in landscaping. I think its a good idea if thats whats being done. Every little bit helps. 

I never understand why little pedestrian islands like this aren't paved over with trees planted and maybe a couple of benches and tables. All medians in this city. Not saying you would want to hang on a median on Buffalo Speedway but at least make them fully accessible to pedestrians. 

This Midtown Redevelopment Authority project features back-of-curb improvements to 3 separate sites within the TIRZ.  Generally, these improvements include landscaping, lighting, and irrigation.

Site 1 – Elgin St at Brazos St

This site include improvements to the planting design by adding pockets of new plant material, utilization of decorative stone and adding a layer of mulch under the large existing trees. This site will also require painting the existing wall, fabrication and installation of custom light features and poles, and installation of an irrigation system.  The existing site trees are to remain and must be protected.

Site 2 – Brazos St at IH- 45

This site includes the creation of large berms which will require importing select fill material. There are landscape walls and curbs in addition to accent lighting, decorative stone, landscaping and irrigation.  This site is divided by a roadway, so small bores for irrigation and electrical conduits will be required.

Site 3 – Webster St at Gray St

This site will feature landscaping improvements and lighted steel accent walls.  Since the lighting is solar electrical service will not be required.  An irrigation system will not be install but temporary hand watering will be required until the plants are established.  There is also a small landscape drain that will tie into an existing storm inlet.

https://www.civcastusa.com/project/586788ad01ec5a1198e5ae22/summary

I was going to mention that I just drove down Elgin across Bagby and the land next to the ramp is being landscaped. There are about 6 or 8 medium sized oak trees that really never said much but now they are going to be accented with the landscaping. I know you were just being sarcastic Samagon, but this landscaping whatever it cost will make the area have a finished, manicured, beautiful look and it will give the area a sense of place.

So don't be so cynical and look to the positive side that this is just one more area that will look like it was well planned and not just a campground for street people.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, bobruss said:

I was going to mention that I just drove down Elgin across Bagby and the land next to the ramp is being landscaped. There are about 6 or 8 medium sized oak trees that really never said much but now they are going to be accented with the landscaping. I know you were just being sarcastic Samagon, but this landscaping whatever it cost will make the area have a finished, manicured, beautiful look and it will give the area a sense of place.

So don't be so cynical and look to the positive side that this is just one more area that will look like it was well planned and not just a campground for street people.

I'm not cynical about making what we can beautiful. I was responding to the person who said that the view would be much better when the pierce elevated was gone. cost estimates for the i45 realignment are about 6 billion, that is what I was responding to. 

If someone is going to make a comment about how beautiful things will look without the pierce elevated, I'm going to try to bring a little perspective to the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived