Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Art Hous | 811 St Emanuel St | EaDo

The Art Hous at 811 St Emanuel St in EaDo ( East Downtown ) may be undergoing renovations from the inside out soon. It's located next door to Warehouse Live and sits across the street from Papa Charlie's BBQ and Little Woodrow's.

uVYPlKn.jpg

4adnA5w.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

The Art Hous at 811 St Emanuel St may be adding or converting into a restaurant. There are plans posted on ACS Studio Architecture's website for Burgr Hous. A search shows new records for Burgr Hous at 811 St Emanuel. Here's more about the development of the space:

Burgr Hous is a renovation of a former art warehouse into a new, gourmet restaurant in the East Downtown (EADO) part of Houston, TX. ACS Studio Architecture demolished the entire space, and created an inviting restaurant space for 150 guests in the 2,400sf space.

Here's the site plan for Burgr Hous:
TtqyrZe.jpg

There aren't renderings but pictures on ACS Studio Architecture's website shows interior shots of Wahlburgers ( Donnie and Mark Wahlburg's burger restaurant). The restaurant could be going for a look similar to Wahlburgers.

njS9HAv.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Love the momentum of development along the St Emmanuel corridor 

Too bad it'll be mostly destroyed when and if the freeway re-routing around downtown happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, intencity77 said:

Too bad it'll be mostly destroyed when and if the freeway re-routing around downtown happens. 

I don't envision that project will take off anytime soon, and many of the city guys (not TXDOT) think it'll be 10 years before it happens. In the meantime, no one is being paid to sit on their land, so I envision we'll continue to see new developments along this corridor.

2 hours ago, intencity77 said:

I don't think anything on the east side of St. Emanuel will be destroyed by the freeway project

• Like 2

My neighbors just went.....here is what they said:  

Just tried the new burger place next to Lucky’s. It is trash. Burgers are over cooked, they ran out of most of the ingredients. Really expensive. Way better off going to rodeo goat

On 6/15/2018 at 7:57 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

My neighbors just went.....here is what they said:  

Just tried the new burger place next to Lucky’s. It is trash. Burgers are over cooked, they ran out of most of the ingredients. Really expensive. Way better off going to rodeo goat

In fairness, this is often the case with a newly open restaurant.

Bad first impression. Walked in, pretty girls working there said hello, and resumed talking and paying attention to one another.  There was a couple of other customers there but not as many as there were employees. We stood there a couple minutes and tried to figure out how the place worked, and looked for a menu. Found it, wasn't obvious, and a bunch of items were crossed off. Got a bad vibe, felt ignored, so we went to a Rodeo Goat, which was packed and fun. Great servers, great service and awesome burgers.  Hope Burger Hous gets it together. But, next time, we will just go back to Rodeo Goat. 

I took my girlfriend to dinner at Huynh and we were going to get some cocktails after at truck yard. I was shocked at how many people were milling about the area. a year ago I could drive through the area and the only activity was at 8th wonder, but now the area is going nuts.

It's sad that the area is going to be pretty much killed with the freeway project before it has a chance to flame out on its own. Maybe the upshot of that is it never has a chance to reach the stage where the area is taken over by douches?

10 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

I honestly think the death-by-freeway narrative is overblown. 

Agreed. I don't see any reason this area will be harmed by the new freeway arrangement.  To the contrary, I think it will benefit from the changes.

19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Agreed. I don't see any reason this area will be harmed by the new freeway arrangement.  To the contrary, I think it will benefit from the changes.

I hope you’re right, but it’s difficult to see how that would be true.

Aside from the necessary closure of popular spots like Little Woodrow’s, Neil’s Bahr, Huynh’s, etc. that fall within the needed ROW, the walkability of St. Emanuel will be drastically affected, as it will essentially transform from a relatively low (and slower) traffic, two-way, two lane road to a three or four lane one-way access road with higher speeds (think of Chatres St now).

It’s difficult to believe that that change will not have an adverse affect on all of the new (and still planned) restaurants and bars that front St. Emanuel.

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Aside from the necessary closure of popular spots like Little Woodrow’s, Neil’s Bahr, Huynh’s, etc. that fall within the needed ROW, the walkability of St. Emanuel will be drastically affected, as it will essentially transform from a relatively low (and slower) traffic, two-way, two lane road to a three or four lane one-way access road with higher speeds (think of Chatres St now).

It’s difficult to believe that that change will not have an adverse affect on all of the new (and still planned) restaurants and bars that front St. Emanuel.

I don't think it's that difficult to see.  St. Emanuel will be quite different from the current Chartres St.  It will have open space across the street (and probably a park) rather than the elevated freeway. St. Emanuel will be 2 and 3 lanes through this stretch, rather than the 5 lanes on the current Chartres. The exit from the freeway that currently drops high-speed traffic at Polk will be way back before Gray Street.

All of that will make it a good deal more business/pedestrian friendly than the current Chartres. Hopefully, EADO and Downtown interests are working with TxDOT to introduce traffic calming design elements for St. Emanuel (a complete streets design would be ideal).

15 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The exit from the freeway that currently drops high-speed traffic at Polk will be way back before Gray Street.

Based on the most recent map, I don’t think that that’s true. The map indicates that there will be a two lane exit from 59/I-69 northbound that dumps freeway traffic onto St. Emanuel between Polk and Dallas. This ramp appears to go over the corresponding entrance ramp onto 59/I-69 northbound which branches from St. Emanuel just past Leeland.

This ramp will also serve downtown-bound traffic, as it feeds directly into the U-turn at Lamar St. which directs downtown traffic back to Polk, around the southwest side of GRB. This likely means that the amount of traffic using this exit will be comparable to that which uses the Polk exit now.

Unfortunately, this ramp will dump higher speed traffic exiting the freeway right onto St. Emanuel immediately in the vicinity of East Village, Pitch 25, and several other new establishments in EaDo.

To think that this alignment will not have a negative effect on these businesses is very optimistic. 

468226FB-6F9E-432E-8813-08B1363DD0DA.jpeg

38 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Based on the most recent map, I don’t think that that’s true. The map indicates that there will be a two lane exit from 59/I-69 northbound that dumps freeway traffic onto St. Emanuel between Polk and Dallas. This ramp appears to go over the corresponding entrance ramp onto 59/I-69 northbound which branches from St. Emanuel just past Leeland.

This ramp will also serve downtown-bound traffic, as it feeds directly into the U-turn at Lamar St. which directs downtown traffic back to Polk, around the southwest side of GRB. This likely means that the amount of traffic using this exit will be comparable to that which uses the Polk exit now.

Unfortunately, this ramp will dump higher speed traffic exiting the freeway right onto St. Emanuel immediately in the vicinity of East Village, Pitch 25, and several other new establishments in EaDo.

To think that this alignment will not have a negative effect on these businesses is very optimistic. 

468226FB-6F9E-432E-8813-08B1363DD0DA.jpeg

I think you're right. Nevertheless, it looks to me like the layout will slow traffic down considerably  more than the current design.  Plus, the other features I discussed above.  I have no doubt it will be a huge improvement over the status quo.

6 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

If the freeway changes were something that were happening overnight this would certainly be the only effect, but as the freeway construction will likely last longer than the 290 construction? Businesses will be affected negatively by the ongoing construction.

But hey, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by samagon

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't think it's that difficult to see.  St. Emanuel will be quite different from the current Chartres St.  It will have open space across the street (and probably a park) rather than the elevated freeway. St. Emanuel will be 2 and 3 lanes through this stretch, rather than the 5 lanes on the current Chartres. The exit from the freeway that currently drops high-speed traffic at Polk will be way back before Gray Street.

All of that will make it a good deal more business/pedestrian friendly than the current Chartres. Hopefully, EADO and Downtown interests are working with TxDOT to introduce traffic calming design elements for St. Emanuel (a complete streets design would be ideal).

sorry for the double reply, but (as hard as this is to believe) I know for a fact that elements of the eado management group weren't even aware this was a thing until last year.

and given our cities current budgetary issues, to say "probably a park" is a bit of a stretch. Let's agree to say that the park is a solid wishful idea at this point.

Edited by samagon

24 minutes ago, samagon said:

sorry for the double reply, but (as hard as this is to believe) I know for a fact that elements of the eado management group weren't even aware this was a thing until last year.

and given our cities current budgetary issues, to say "probably a park" is a bit of a stretch. Let's agree to say that the park is a solid wishful idea at this point.

Nope.  Can't agree to that.  This park will happen.  You can bet money on it.

34 minutes ago, samagon said:

If the freeway changes were something that were happening overnight this would certainly be the only effect, but as the freeway construction will likely last longer than the 290 construction? Businesses will be affected negatively by the ongoing construction.

But hey, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

The entire project might take as long as the 290 project, but there will probably not be ongoing construction on the 1+ miles bordering Midtown for 7 years.  Plus, especially in that segment, it's quite a different type of project.  I would imagine they will maintain through capacity and access pretty much all the time in this area.  I don't see any reason the area should be that greatly affected.

20 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The only issue I have is that TXDOT has said that they are not planning on providing necessary support columns for a park ontop of the deck. If that is true, I dont know how we will be able to add the extra load of millions of pounds of dirt on top of this structure. We would need to go back to the foundation and re-build the whole thing. Then you risk damaging the new road and causing a major issue. 

So TxDot is going to build a deck, but not a park?  Why, so the freeway can have a roof?

45 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The only issue I have is that TXDOT has said that they are not planning on providing necessary support columns for a park ontop of the deck. If that is true, I dont know how we will be able to add the extra load of millions of pounds of dirt on top of this structure. We would need to go back to the foundation and re-build the whole thing. Then you risk damaging the new road and causing a major issue. 

I'm pretty sure TXDOT has never said they do not plan on building support columns adequate to support a cap.  They have only said building the cap with green space on top would require outside (non-TXDOT) funding. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I'm pretty sure TXDOT has never said they are not planning to provide support columns adequate to support a deck.  They have only said that building the decks and green space on top of the decks will require outside (non-TXDOT) funding.

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

So TxDot is going to build a deck, but not a park?  Why, so the freeway can have a roof?

No.  Pretty sure TXDoT is building neither the deck nor the park.

From a meeting with TXDOT at St. Arnolds Brewery, they said that they were NOT providing the Deck. Later, there were some clarifications that they WOULD provide a deck. So, its not totally clear. However, they cannot provide necessary support without a design for a deck. This will cause some issues later on if more vertical supports with Piles are required to support this deck. In the end, i doubt it will happen. Houston will settle on another 59 submerged Freeway. 

On 6/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, Mr.Clean19 said:

From a meeting with TXDOT at St. Arnolds Brewery, they said that they were NOT providing the Deck. Later, there were some clarifications that they WOULD provide a deck. So, its not totally clear. However, they cannot provide necessary support without a design for a deck. This will cause some issues later on if more vertical supports with Piles are required to support this deck. In the end, i doubt it will happen. Houston will settle on another 59 submerged Freeway. 

If I understand correctly, TXDOT will provide the deck but not the Park. It's the park that must come from private funding. The freeway within the inner loop is expected to have an additional 2 areas with decks, over at the museum district and around 45 and main.

Lets say that they do provide the deck. How much load do they design the deck for? Who is liable if the deck collapses after the park is built ontop of the deck? There are too many unknowns for an Engineer to put their stamp on that drawing.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Lets say that they do provide the deck. How much load do they design the deck for? Who is liable if the deck collapses after the park is built ontop of the deck? There are too many unknowns for an Engineer to put their stamp on that drawing.

LOL   I think they'll be able to figure it out.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:50 AM, LS27 said:

If I understand correctly, TXDOT will provide the deck but not the Park. It's the park that must come from private funding. 

After speaking with a few people associated with the planning for this project, that is my takeaway as well. The actual structure of the cap itself is part of the project regardless, but other funding sources are needed to develop the cap into a park or something similar.

17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

That's not how design, engineering, and contracting work. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

That's not how design, engineering, and contracting work. 

Something tells me you don't have a clue about how these things work.  

On 6/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, Houston19514 said:

On 6/20/2018 at 2:20 PM, Houston19514 said:

I'm pretty sure TXDOT has never said they are not planning to provide support columns adequate to support a deck.  They have only said that building the decks and green space on top of the decks will require outside (non-TXDOT) funding.

23 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

54 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Something tells me you don't have a clue about how these things work.  

From your astounding level of optimism with no proof, I think it is you that doesn't have a clue about how these things work.

4 hours ago, samagon said:

From your astounding level of optimism with no proof, I think it is you that doesn't have a clue about how these things work.

We shall see... 

The wait and see approach doesn't work to well in the planning environment. I'm happy that Houston has some insight but without details I still rely on the "Trust yet Verify" approach. There are just too many unknowns and the east end is getting too screwed in this andevour to blindly trust that TXDOT and the city of Houston will fund the development of a park on the shadowy side of GRB. And yes, I did say TXDOT and Houston because both will need to incorporate this into their design and funding. (Structural and Landscaping) 

3 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The wait and see approach doesn't work to well in the planning environment. I'm happy that Houston has some insight but without details I still rely on the "Trust yet Verify" approach. There are just too many unknowns and the east end is getting too screwed in this andevour to blindly trust that TXDOT and the city of Houston will fund the development of a park on the shadowy side of GRB. And yes, I did say TXDOT and Houston because both will need to incorporate this into their design and funding. (Structural and Landscaping) 

LOL  Of course, no one has suggested that TXDOT or the City of Houston should wait and see.  Only that we on this forum will have to wait and see who is or is not clueless.

1 hour ago, HoustonMidtown said:

That didn't take long - Burgr Hous is already closed - For Lease signs up in front of the entrance

Humorous 

9 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

That didn't take long - Burgr Hous is already closed - For Lease signs up in front of the entrance

This can’t be true..... its been open maybe....  2 months?  The website is still active and doesn’t mention a closing.  Pictures?

Man that's rough - to spend that kind of money on a build-out and close up that quickly. Very unfortunate for them. Whoever takes over this space will get a great looking restaurant with very minimal out of pocket costs.

Wow ... that's gotta be a record for the least amount of time a restaurant was open.  I live around the corner and only went once ... the food itself was good but the service was not ... figured it was just growing pains. 

wow.

sounds like they didn't take into account they'd need 6-9 months of operating expenses, and only had enough for a build? or they spent their operating expense budget on cost overruns of the build? either way, that's quite an expense, and a strongly worded note by the landlord.

From the article

Burgr Hous owner Brian Jordan is a former civil engineer who told KHOU 11 shortly after opening that he left his career after 22 years because he was tired of it, and had no restaurant experience aside from eating in “thousands” of restaurants but decided to give restaurant ownership a try.

I guess when you eat in a restaurant you don't have to pay rent, so he forgot that part.

20 hours ago, samagon said:

wow.

sounds like they didn't take into account they'd need 6-9 months of operating expenses, and only had enough for a build? or they spent their operating expense budget on cost overruns of the build? either way, that's quite an expense, and a strongly worded note by the landlord.

Just a standard eviction notice