Westbury Square Developments

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the pictures, I have not been in the neighborhood since 1977, really. the last time I was on the "square" was probably about 1975.

Why it started down is a mystery to me, it has all the elements of "new urbansim" (see my comments in the wikopedia discussion of the square). Hippies loitered in the square from about 1967 on, so thats not the reason. But when cargo houston went down, that seemed to be the beggining of the end. The specialty shops lasted till sometime in the 1970s. I heard that some company bought the square a few years after the townhouses were added. They supposedly put in a theater, or were going to put on in. I believe the story was that the company was owned by the chinese import store, which used to face the central fountain, now apparently the home depot lumber place. It seemed retail sails began lagging in the mid 70s, and possibly it was competition with the newly created Galleria?

One problem I think was that there was not enough to do. ie needed more restaraunts with a variety of prices, and more entertainment venues. It seemed the main reason to go to the square was atmosphere and to purchase specialty retail items. I used to make sand candles with scents from the scent shop, and wax supplies from the candle shop. I bought classic San Francisco rock concert posters at Cargo within weeks of famous concerts. A;sp bought blacklight posters at the Electric Paisley, and I became a black light artist myself, painting a number of bedroom murals for friends in Westbury.Also Indian prints beadspreads, paper mache tiffany lamps. What was missing was a book store and a large record shop.

The westbury centerrette (sic) sign may be the oldest surviving thing in westbury. I am sure it is the original and I expect the center predates the square and certainly the weingartens plaza. The trampoline place was the last building on the side facing away from belfort but near chimney rock.

sadly the conoco that was replaced by the now abandoned exxon was a classic modern style station, with a tile mural on front, a streamlined carport, it was one of the best pieces of architecture around, and deserved preservation status.

Unfortunately, WS suffered from a common malady in the Seventies, (in Houston,) white flight. As a few people of color began to buy in Westbury, there was a mass exodus to move further out. This was (and maybe still is?)a weird ritual in Houston. You can find many neighborhoods and subdivisions that suffered from this. I never quite understood the panic mentality but I was very aware of it's existence.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have started a gallery of historical maps and aerial photographs of Westbury. I will add to it when I get a chance. To see it, go to my page, click the gallery tab, the buttons at the top will let you zoom in, see comments (none except mine yet) and download.

• 2 weeks later...

white flight is why Houston is the way it is now....

They run, build, only to run again leaving behind massive empty tracts of real estate from South Park to Pearland

HISD built schools to accomodate white flight but those schools sit empty now and the reason why the district is what it is...

Fort Bend, Aldine, Spring branch, etc. is/ha gone thru the same...

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Thought you'd all like to see these old photos of Norris of Houston and the World's Largest Barber Shop:

I'm still looking for old photos of his earlier shops, especially the one in Westbury Square.  The 1962 and 1963 city directories list his shop as #653 which some maps locate on the alley north/behind the curved building with the Cargo store (where the new Home Depot service road cuts through).  I've seen some old photos of the square before the curved building was built so maybe his shop was demolished early on.  Current numbers on the stores would put it in the alley to the left after passing through the entry arch, but they skip 653 between 651 and 659, so maybe those spaces (apartments now) were renovated over the years and one unit was combined with 653.  If anyone remembers, please let me know :)

Thank you,

Spencer

***If anybody is still visiting this site and has access to the Westbury60.jpg picture that has been mentioned on this site and the Plane Crash in Meyerland site, could you please post the picture again.***

Is this the photo you're talking about?   http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=2490

Edited by FilioScotia

• 2 months later...

***If anybody is still visiting this site and has access to the Westbury60.jpg picture that has been mentioned on this site and the Plane Crash in Meyerland site, could you please post the picture again.***

Is this the photo you're talking about?   http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=2490

It probably is.. But the original is a higher resolution.  Which is this one..

You should be able to click on this one to see full res. Well, maybe not after

posting it..

This is the full res link..

http://home.comcast.net/~disk300/westbury.jpg

westbury.jpg

Edited by nm5k
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, WS suffered from a common malady in the Seventies, (in Houston,) white flight. As a few people of color began to buy in Westbury, there was a mass exodus to move further out. This was (and maybe still is?)a weird ritual in Houston. You can find many neighborhoods and subdivisions that suffered from this. I never quite understood the panic mentality but I was very aware of it's existence.

In fact, one of the first cases tried under the fair housing act was on Arboles street in about 1969-1971. A realty company told a neighborhood group that if they did not pool their money and buy a house, a black family would close on it the next day. They purchased it and were subsequently sued for discriminatory housing practices. 

• 1 year later...

UPDATE

The Westbury Centerette, the Exxon ruins, and the strip mall next to Autozone are history now.  The teardown started about 2 weeks ago and they have already hauled off the waste.  Now they are breaking up the pavement to go down to soil that has not seen daylight in over 50 years so I assume they will start building soon.  In other words, this is not just a tear down and leave it looking ghetto with the foundation and parking lot still there kind of deal.  

These were taken yesterday March 30, 2015 facing southwest on Cedarhurst at Moonlight.  The laundry place was right at the corner in photo 1 and the Exxon used to be behind the middle tree in the row of 3 in photo 2.  

image1_zpskw4hdayn.jpg

image2_zps1znoffky.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on Westbury Square and Centerette

The link below is to one of the signs that appeared on Friday afternoon on W. Bellfort. Al Antonini is attempting a spec development on the land currently occupied by Westbury Square's shell. Becky Edmondson, WCC President, told me yesterday she had lunch with him on Thursday and learned of his plans. I didn't count the number of residences he proposes. Becky did tell me the plan is to make it a gated community. There's not a whole lot of information available about the project. Hopefully this week at the Civic Club meeting someone will have some details. I do know there is strong opposition by a number of folks in Westbury to this type of development. Why has never been made clear to me. I've owned a house less than a mile from the Square and welcome this type of development as long as it is in the say $400-700K range. Yeah I know I'm a snob, but since home prices are now approaching the $500K range in Westbury I don't see a reason to let lesser priced residences be built. I'll post updates as I learn anything.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNJP0MLluoZRUfmb6fPF7Vwd1FIxs-uNpWoi6zVyxVCUQocTdvq_KhxflcjT4ZMVw/photo/AF1QipPED9-aUsWfRCqcBQtFXi8hyF5w8OVh-akRZQns?key=QS1lYVB5dTJSalpQcHVxR2xIQm9IYVlJeWhjU2xR

On the subject of the Centerette demolition. Yes it is gone and the land is cleared off. Now the problem is nothing is planned to be built there. The land owner says LA Fitness will not be built there and they are looking for something to replace those plans. In my opinion they went about it all wrong. You've got 3 major problems still with that land. 1) Autozone and Pizza Hut make it a weird shape, 2) cell tower, 3) access is weird as well. If they had planned to demo the PH and AZ and move them into the ground floor of the parking garage that would have made so much more sense. And if the owner and civic club had worked wiht the COH and redone the intersection at Chimney Rock the current right turn lane could have been melded into the land to make it a less weird shape. 

It's frustrating as a 20+ year resident to see a lack of imagination on anyone's part to solve issues like Westbury Square and the Centerette land.

• 3 weeks later...

In a few weeks there will be no sign that the highly over-rated and overly lamented Westbury Square ever existed. Good riddance. The Houston Business Journal says townhouses are going up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2015/07/westbury-square-to-be-demolished-in-30-days.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_houston+%28Houston+Business+Journal%29

Edited by FilioScotia

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally being demoed today

12472406_1031561910199448_87817434491039

From Westbury Houston facebook group 

Mods, can this be moved to going up? 

Also, the sign on the property states that only 30 lots remain, although this could be a sales tactic... 

773e64311516d6558b92dde34b5b5a72.jpg.max

e84140a18f89bffca629c3f8e69c0357.jpg.max

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 5

Next to an old home depot and a strip center containing a dominos and a 99 cent store? This is the height of luxury! Actually on second thought given what's adjacent to it, how much are the lots going to be worth? It might be a great value for being so close to town.

Edited by curbur

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2009 at 11:51 AM, aggieengineer said:

Ahh, it's a small world indeed. I vividly remember the trip to see the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto monument. I remember Kimberly too. I'm pretty sure her dad was a state senator, last name Ogg. If you remember Steven and Susan, send me a PM sometime. My wife and I are going to take a trip down there this fall and get some pictures before it's all gone.

The Kimberly u r referring to is now the present Harris County District Attorney since elected in 2016

• 2 years later...
17 minutes ago, AREJAY said:

The reporters don't seem to be aware of Antonini's long history as an absentee landlord and the related issues that have arisen in the past. Perhaps they haven't lived here that long, but even a cursory Google search would have revealed plenty of, uh, interesting results, such as:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Landlord-reports-to-prison-2047235.php

https://feldman.law/news/city-does-not-owe-antonini/

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/this-blows-6575538

http://swamplot.com/midtowns-redone-central-square-plaza-now-looking-to-lure-tenants-to-its-ground-floor/2018-03-12/