Original Mid Century Modern Home for Sale

Nancy Tropoli

The home Arthur Moss built and lived in will be for sale soon.  His widow, Dorothy, lived in the home, never changing a thing, until August, 2011.  The young couple who bought the home only renovated the master bathroom, but the home is otherwise intact - even down to the apricot colored oven, built in record player and light fixtures.  Arthur Moss was a noted Houston organic mid century modern architect whose works include the Penguin Arms apartments and the Triton 101 Apartments.  I wish someone who appreciates the style would consider buying this home to preserve it.  The address is 2903 Freshmeadows Drive In Briarmeadows.  My name is Nancy Tropoli, 713-591-1955.  Please call if you'd like to tour this gem of Houston mid century modern architecture before it's sold and "modernized".

Nancy,

Dorothy Moss's obituary says that she was the widow of Linwood F. Moss, and county records (HCAD, Harris County Clerk) for the Freshmeadows property do show a Linwood F. Moss with no mention of Arthur P. Moss.  Arthur Moss was the brother of Philemon (Pete) and Manuel Moss.  Is there something that I'm missing here?  Do you know something we don't?

When I represented the current owners when they were buying the home, we were told that the owner was the widow of Arthur Moss, the architect.  Since Arthur died awhile back, I never knew him, although I did know his brother, Phil, because the family is of Greek descent.  I do know that Arthur had a home in Riverbend that I didn't think was habitable; Phil's widow still lives in their home in Briarbend, so having a home in Briarmeadow made sense to me.  I have no idea if Linwood Moss was a cousin of Arthur, Phil and Manuel but will ask.  The current owners have the plans, and I asked them to check to see who designed the home when I saw your post.  Anthony Cannata was the architect for 2903 Freshmeadows.  I apologize for the misinformation I relied on and am very embarrassed.  The fact remains that this home is a still wonderful virtually unchanged example of mid century architecture, although not designed by a noted architect.  I am so sorry for my mistake.

Archived