Sexuality Trends

west20th

If you are a lefthanded male you are three times as likely to be gay as righties. Deaf males are far more likely to be gay than the general population. Blind males are far less likely to be gay. And of course, the arts seem to have a larger percentage of gay males. I really make no conclusions and have no theories as to the above trends. I just find them curious. Any one have any ideas/opinions as to why this may be? Don't know of any trends that relate to lesbians. If you do, please share.

I really can't remember the exact sources for the above trends. I just remember reading about these studies and have always wondered about this.

I've been Ayn Randed, nearly branded

Communist 'cause I'm left handed,

That's the hand I use, well,

Never mind.

"A Simple Desultory Philippic", Simon & Garfunkel

Being left-handed and a male homosexual, I tend to notice those qualities in others - and yes, it seems I spot a lot more lefties in gay bars than in the populance at large. Purely empirical observation.

LOL.  I'm not going to lie though.  Everytime I see someone writing with their left hand that does go through my mind.  :lol:

I'm left handed. :angry:

Seriously I am. I know quite a few lefties also in my family who aren't gay.

If there is any truth to that "theory" it may hold true to females also.... one of my cousins is bi. Her friend is also a lefty and bi. Oh crap... just remembered another female I know (who is actually in the next room) that is also left handed and she is bi-curious.

I'm left handed.  :angry:

If there is any truth to that "theory" it may hold true to females also.... one of my cousins is bi. Her friend is also a lefty and bi. Oh crap... just remembered another female I know (who is actually in the next room) that is also left handed and she is bi-curious.

Even though left handers tend to be gay at a higher percentage then the general population the majority of left handers are still straight. So no need to change hands for all you straight lefties out there.

I'm right handed and can hear and am gay. I also am the oldest child in my family, but there's research that indicates that first-borns are much less likely to be gay than people with older siblings. There's also some finger-length study that compares relative lengths of certain fingers on the hands but I didn't fit that one either when it came out.

Anyway, these things are always interesting, but in the words of one of my favorite psychology professors, "correlation does not imply causation."

I'm right handed and can hear and am gay. I also am the oldest child in my family, but there's research that indicates that first-borns are much less likely to be gay than people with older siblings. There's also some finger-length study that compares relative lengths of certain fingers on the hands but I didn't fit that one either when it came out.

Anyway, these things are always interesting, but in the words of one of my favorite psychology professors, "correlation does not imply causation."

The "trends" are basically trivia. Interesting but there is not much you can do with them. If you went by these trends you would be generalizing and that is never good because there are always many exceptions to any rule. For example I know plenty of gay men who are righthanded, not artistic and have no fashion sense. "Hoschmos" as Barney Frank calls them. ;)

Even though left handers tend to be gay at a higher percentage then the general population the majority of left handers are still straight. So no need to change hands for all you straight lefties out there.

Thanks for the reassurance, westy. I hardly slept last night after reading the initial post, because my right hand is utterly useless. :P

Thanks for the reassurance, westy.  I hardly slept last night after reading the initial post, because my right hand is utterly useless.  :P

That reminds me of a time when I was with a woman. She made me feel good. I asked her if she played tennis. She said that she didn't. I told her that I asked her that because she had a good backhand.

The "trends" are basically trivia. Interesting but there is not much you can do with them. If you went by these trends you would be generalizing and that is never good because there are always many exceptions to any rule. For example I know plenty of gay men who are righthanded, not artistic and have no fashion sense. "Hoschmos" as Barney Frank calls them. ;)

:lol:

B)

I'm left handed.  :angry:

Has she also considered experimenting with ambidexterity? ;)

Archived