When Will Commuter Rail Arrive?

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I don't really see why we need light rail What Houston needs is commuter. Screw the Main line only city lines we need are down Westheimer and 1960.

Thsi commuter rail sound good except the locomotives are ugly and they cross exsistig roads and higyways. If we could get a way from the streets and the tracks not to cross eachother we would have a perfect rail plan.

WHAT? :blink:

^^ What he said.

How can commuter rail function without light/heavy rail in the city? Or do you assume these people will just transfer to a bus.

Also regarding

"Thsi commuter rail sound good except the locomotives are ugly and they cross exsistig roads and higyways. If we could get a way from the streets and the tracks not to cross eachother we would have a perfect rail plan."

Do you somehow know the plans and models of vehicles they are using? I sure hope you don't work for metro. Also seriously read your post before posting. It lets you fix your grammar and spelling mistakes.

Well most commuter rail engines aren't attractive. That the one thing I like about Light Rail.

They way I see it, the should lay some railline in the middle of each freeway and run it to the edg eof the city. Have 3-4 stops on it, some extra ones in the cases like Greenway Plaza and NASA. Each route would take off from dowtown and let off at a major transit hub at 610, The Belt, HWY6/1960, and the far subrurbs.

There sould be 2 routes, an express route that goes to all the stops and a Park and Ride route that goes from 1 stop straigh to Downtown.

There also be connections to the airports and any Amtrak or hi speed rail stations. That's one mistake Metro made witht he light rail. They go a major line going Main St. and no stop adjacent to the Greyhound station. I tell ya, this city needs to learn geometry.

Well most commuter rail engines aren't attractive. That the one thing I like about Light Rail.

They way I see it, the should lay some railline in the middle of each freeway and run it to the edg eof the city. Have 3-4 stops on it, some extra ones in the cases like Greenway Plaza and NASA. Each route would take off from dowtown and let off at a major transit hub at 610, The Belt, HWY6/1960, and the far subrurbs.

There sould be 2 routes, an express route that goes to all the stops and a Park and Ride route that goes from 1 stop straigh to Downtown.

There also be connections to the airports and any Amtrak or hi speed rail stations. That's one mistake Metro made witht he light rail. They go a major line going  Main St. and no stop adjacent to the Greyhound station. I tell ya, this city needs to learn geometry.

geometry? Ok Plastic please explain..... :blink:

Commuter rail engines can be attractive if you have ever been to southern Cali San Diego has really cool looking ones and so does LA.

• 2 years later...

The findings from a “Regional Commuter Rail Connectivity Study” were presented at the Livable Houston Initiative meeting on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC). The study has been submitted to H-GAC for consideration. This important study will have a profound effect on the the future of the Houston region.

This study was presented by Sam Lott of Kimley-Horn & Assoc, the project consultants. Lott described the philosophies driving the study and the methodology for choosing the Baseline System Plan. There was also an open session for questions and comments.

http://www.vimeo.com/1266170

If there are plans to re-use the existing rail line along Hwy-3... all I have to say is that I will not be on that train. I was stopped near the intersection of Hwy-3 and Clear Lake City Blvd with the train passing right in front of me. It was traveling, probably 25 to 30 mph and it was rocking, big time. I looked closer at the track and you could see what appeared to be a one-inch+ deflection at one of the rail ties, every time a wheel went over that spot. This resulted in about a 6-inch sway/rock at the top of the rail cars. If you were riding on that train, you'd be hitting heads with the person next to you. If the train were traveling any faster, there would have been a derailment... with a "GA TX" boxcar slamming right into my little tin can of a car.

They're going to have to do a lot of track work along Hwy-3 before you put people on that line.

When doing these studies, they consult a lot of different people and organizations. They know the need to base the lines according to major employment centers and residential areas that will use them. But my question is, do they consult development companies that play a major role in creating what our city is and is becoming? I would think that they'd know almost just as well as anyone else what direction the population and employment centers are going. Sure they are just a small piece to the puzzle, but I think it's worth getting their perspective as well. Anyone know if they do or not?

If there are plans to re-use the existing rail line along Hwy-3... all I have to say is that I will not be on that train. I was stopped near the intersection of Hwy-3 and Clear Lake City Blvd with the train passing right in front of me. It was traveling, probably 25 to 30 mph and it was rocking, big time. I looked closer at the track and you could see what appeared to be a one-inch+ deflection at one of the rail ties, every time a wheel went over that spot. This resulted in about a 6-inch sway/rock at the top of the rail cars. If you were riding on that train, you'd be hitting heads with the person next to you. If the train were traveling any faster, there would have been a derailment... with a "GA TX" boxcar slamming right into my little tin can of a car.

They're going to have to do a lot of track work along Hwy-3 before you put people on that line.

The old GH&H track along Texas 3 is not a high priority for UPRR. BNSF has upgraded it's tracks to Galveston along Texas 6 and are now able to travel 55mph from the causeway to all points north. UPRR is behind the times, and is probably just milking the line as long as they can until they have to make major improvements or abandon it. The real estate itself is probably worth more than the future freight dollars.

UPRR is behind the times, and is probably just milking the line as long as they can until they have to make major improvements or abandon it.

Or maybe they know that they can get the entity who wants to use the line for commuter rail service to pay for the upgrades.

Didn't some congressmen or counselmen want to put commuter rail along the RR tracks that go next to 290 when they first talked about rail and METRO said no, that they wanted light rail instead?

Actually, it was The (dis)Honorable Tom Delay and he was opposed to LRT in Houston. BUT if we built a connection to his Sugarland (which just HAPPENS to be his district....oh...the coincidences...) he would open up the purse strings.

Didn't some congressmen or counselmen want to put commuter rail along the RR tracks that go next to 290 when they first talked about rail and METRO said no, that they wanted light rail instead?

No. Metro always wanted commuter rail there.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this item that a reader posted in the forum over at Intermodality

Looks like the US90 route has definitely been greenlighted by Metro.

There is both a Metro presentation that mentions a LRT transit corridor from Fannin to Old Main and a link to a MTFP amendment requesting a street reclassification for W. Belfort in this location.

This proposed MTFP amendment for the TCS designation is being requested for this segment of

W. Bellfort because it is the only portion where existing street right‐of‐way will be needed to

accommodate a proposed commuter‐like LRT extension of the existing Red Line from Fannin to

the Sam Houston Parkway, generally along the north side of the Union Pacific railroad line

adjacent to US 90A. The proposed addition of an LRT within the current alignment of W.

Bellfort will not result in the reduction of the number of vehicular travel lanes. METRO will

acquire additional adjacent street right‐of‐way along the north side of existing W. Bellfort to

provide for the necessary expansion of right‐of‐way to accommodate the same number of

vehicular lanes as currently exist (2 lanes in each direction for a total of 4 lanes). Additionally,

there will be no reduction in lane width.

Full request letter to the City from the firm representing Metro.

Check out this item that a reader posted in the forum over at Intermodality

There is both a Metro presentation that mentions a LRT transit corridor from Fannin to Old Main and a link to a MTFP amendment requesting a street reclassification for W. Belfort in this location.

Full request letter to the City from the firm representing Metro.

This doesn't sound like commuter rail at all, just the extension of the Red Line, westward.

No

This proposed MTFP amendment for the TCS designation is being requested for this segment of

W. Bellfort because it is the only portion where existing street right‐of‐way will be needed to

accommodate a proposed commuter‐like LRT extension of the existing Red Line

the MTFP is the plan put together yearly. here's 2007's. it is used by the city to reserve row for the COH. depending on how growth happens, streets are built/widened/etc which fill in more of the grid, etc. METRO just wants to ensure row is reserved, hence the petition.

Archived