Co-Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart At 1111 St. Joseph Parkway

Montrose1100

Here's the Cathedral Guadalupe in Dallas which is an interesting building in the Arts District. They recently completed the bell tower after 100 years and it makes a big impact on the skyline now.

cath_twr.jpg

http://www.cathedralguadalupe.org

I'm pretty sure that is the cathedral renowned architect (my fav) Nicholas J. Clayton designed over 100 years ago. He made a major impact in Galveston, look it up. :P

• 4 weeks later...
If I'm not mistaken they are being brought in from Italy or Spain? I wish I knew where and which saints/statues will be brought in. I hope they are as neat as Michaelangelo works ala white marble. :rolleyes:

i believe they are italian and the saints' names were mentioned in the story as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice pictures, but as I suspected, the dome is hardly visible on street level because its too shallow.

I hope they paint the interior of the dome with murals as in most Catholic churches/cathedrals.

On a seperate note, there is nothing worse than someone painting over existing murals anywhere. The older church over by Navigation (Our Lady of Guadalupe) was ruined when they hastily covered the cherubs and heaven scene above the alter. :wacko: I can only assume they did not have the funds to have a professional come and restore. Sad situation to say the least. Now its all just a dull lifeless dome. I know its just cosmetic but jeez.

I am also happy that this new church decided to build that bellfry ot tower after all. :P

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they paint the interior of the dome with murals as in most Catholic churches/cathedrals.

I would hope so too. The interior the LA Cathedral is very awe inspiring with its couple of murals. BUT, i wonder if they are going to keep with a more stark Romanesque theme of just alabaster made starker by the height of the dome. Time will tell. Maybe a modern day Michelangelo will crop up and be commissioned. Then visitors could go and watch him (or her.....but being a Catholic church...probably a him) while on a scaffold.

m.

SacredHeart-01-MED.JPGProgress at New Co-Cathedral

Key Liturgical Art Pieces in Place

(Houston) Two major statues are now in place in the new Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart currently under construction in Downtown Houston. Workers completed installation of the statue of Mary of the Immaculate Conception in the West transept of the cathedral (today) on June 28th. The statue depicting the co-cathedral

• 3 weeks later...

^^^ Beautiful. Is the background in the Cathedral or just a background to display the statues??

I cannot wait to view this Cathedral once it is completed.

Does anyone know- Will visitors be able to view the inside even if they are not attending Mass?

Larger cathedrals in NY, Chi-Town and LA (along with the plethora in Europe) allow visitors to quietly and

reverantly walk around the nave and narthex areas even though they are not worshiping.

m. B)

^^^ Beautiful. Is the background in the Cathedral or just a background to display the statues??

I cannot wait to view this Cathedral once it is completed.

Does anyone know- Will visitors be able to view the inside even if they are not attending Mass?

Larger cathedrals in NY, Chi-Town and LA (along with the plethora in Europe) allow visitors to quietly and

reverantly walk around the nave and narthex areas even though they are not worshiping.

m. B)

I'm sure they wont mind curious onlookers, its perfectly natural that people are wanting to view once completed. I am sure clergy is expecting a normal than usual crowd for the first year maybe.

I did pass by on Pierce elevated and glanced at yesterday and the bell tower is coming along fine. I could see dare-devil (pardon the pun) construction dudes on the tower working away.

PS, say Hi to N. Hollywood for me,

I'm sure they wont mind curious onlookers, its perfectly natural that people are wanting to view once completed. I am sure clergy is expecting a normal than usual crowd for the first year maybe.

I did pass by on Pierce elevated and glanced at yesterday and the bell tower is coming along fine. I could see dare-devil (pardon the pun) construction dudes on the tower working away.

PS, say Hi to N. Hollywood for me,

Will do Vertigo58. If ever in LA, you wouldn't believe the changes made in that area. TWO highrise condos, about 5 blocks of new townhomes and higher end apts., a NOHO Commons with about everything you could imagine, the new Orange Line which stretches the entire Valley, and an up and coming movie theatre complex. i was considering moving from that area (until i move back here), but with all the new development, i am staying put.

m. B)

• 1 month later...
The bell tower has been topped off. It has a similar gold cross to the dome's.

Has anyone heard any news coverage or updates as of late? Good Lord (no pun intended) what in the bleep is taking them so long to complete?

Sistene Chapel didn't take this long. Kidding :blush:

Just getting a bit impatient.

and the angels sing...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard any news coverage or updates as of late? Good Lord (no pun intended) what in the bleep is taking them so long to complete?

Sistene Chapel didn't take this long. Kidding :blush:

Just getting a bit impatient.

and the angels sing...

I caught the news in the recent diocese newsletter, it will be open in April 2008.

http://www.diocese-gal-hou.org/newsevents....thedralSchedule

The dedication/consecration activities will begin with First Vespers, on the evening of Tuesday, April 1, 2008. Second Vespers will take place Wednesday, April 2, the evening after the Mass of Dedication/Consecration.

While these first three events will be by invitation only, the general public will be invited to get its first look at the completed worship space that week beginning with guided tours, which will begin April 2 in the afternoon.

Daily Mass, which is open to the public, will begin to be celebrated the following day, Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 7 a.m.

Edited by Nate99

• 4 weeks later...

I must say the bell tower did the trick. I was not feeling the modern aroma this place was giving off, but the tower made for a nice addition. Atleast it looked nice when going to classes this morning and looking at it from the Pierce elevated. By the way whatever happened to the mixed use the Cathedral Gateway that was suppose to be next door on the Downtown Transit Center station? Insiders?

I must say the bell tower did the trick. I was not feeling the modern aroma this place was giving off, but the tower made for a nice addition. Atleast it looked nice when going to classes this morning and looking at it from the Pierce elevated. By the way whatever happened to the mixed use the Cathedral Gateway that was suppose to be next door on the Downtown Transit Center station? Insiders?

What was Cathedral Gateway again? Never heard of it.

Pearly Gates sounds more appropriate! :P

What was Cathedral Gateway again? Never heard of it.

I believe it was all part of the Downtown Development Framework 2025 as a community around the new cathedral. I even believe there were plans to create a diagnol street in downtown where the cathedral would dead end the street at the end. If I am not mistaken I believe Cathedral Gateway was propsed by Morris Architects.

Edited by WesternGulf

Yeah, and I believe it was called Cathedral Square

That actually has a real good sound to it.

Does anyone know if this new cathedral will be fully tiled or will some parts have like red velvet/burgundy carpet? I think the best thing to do is check the link and or just go park and walk up and see up front whats the status of completion. :)

• 2 weeks later...
That actually has a real good sound to it.

Does anyone know if this new cathedral will be fully tiled or will some parts have like red velvet/burgundy carpet? I think the best thing to do is check the link and or just go park and walk up and see up front whats the status of completion. :)

No carpet, all stone. And it is full-size dimensional mud-set stone, no tile.

• 3 months later...