Co-Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart At 1111 St. Joseph Parkway

Montrose1100

Are you referring to the Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral in downtown?

If so, I believe they are still raising funds for it.  They put an outline on the ground to show how big it will be.

I think the bell tower has been taken off the plan to save costs.

The BIG cathedral? It was so pretty! Well I am glad someone has some news on it...

• 4 months later...

Ah, but it is!

Jan. 31, 2005, 6:46AM

CELEBRATION BY THE FAITHFUL

'A beautiful edifice for downtown'

Archdiocese blesses the site of $32 million house of worship

By RICHARD VARA

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Despite overcast skies and chilling winds, more than 1,200 Roman Catholic clergy and laity turned out Sunday to celebrate a ground blessing for a new $32 million cathedral for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.

The event was celebrated with choirs, a brass ensemble and a colorful procession of robed clergy, altar servers and teens carrying banners.

Work is scheduled to begin immediately on the 1,820-seat cathedral, with completion in 28 months.

"I am so grateful that so many of you are here to ask God, with me, to place his particular blessing upon this square block upon which will be built the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart," Archbishop Joseph A. Fiorenza said.

The cold weather forced a change in the ceremony, which had been planned primarily for the outdoors at the new cathedral site between San Jacinto and Fannin, facing St. Joseph Parkway.

Instead, most of the service was held inside the current co-cathedral, a smaller facility built as a parish church.

Plans for the cathedral were announced in 2001.

Fiorenza said Sunday that he had hoped to be dedicating the cathedral at this time but acknowledged that several events during the four-year capital campaign had intervened and forced a downsizing ofplans.

Link to Chonicle story

Jan. 31, 2005, 6:46AM

CELEBRATION BY THE FAITHFUL

'A beautiful edifice for downtown'

Archdiocese blesses the site of $32 million house of worship

By RICHARD VARA

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Despite overcast skies and chilling winds, more than 1,200 Roman Catholic clergy and laity turned out Sunday to celebrate a ground blessing for a new $32 million cathedral for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.

ADVERTISEMENT

The event was celebrated with choirs, a brass ensemble and a colorful procession of robed clergy, altar servers and teens carrying banners.

Work is scheduled to begin immediately on the 1,820-seat cathedral, with completion in 28 months.

"I am so grateful that so many of you are here to ask God, with me, to place his particular blessing upon this square block upon which will be built the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart," Archbishop Joseph A. Fiorenza said.

The cold weather forced a change in the ceremony, which had been planned primarily for the outdoors at the new cathedral site between San Jacinto and Fannin, facing St. Joseph Parkway.

Instead, most of the service was held inside the current co-cathedral, a smaller facility built as a parish church.

Plans for the cathedral were announced in 2001.

Fiorenza said Sunday that he had hoped to be dedicating the cathedral at this time but acknowledged that several events during the four-year capital campaign had intervened and forced a downsizing ofplans.

"First came Sept. 11, a terrible blow to this country and to our hearts," Fiorenza said. "Then there was the collapse of Enron and other large companies based in Houston. The economy began to go south.

"We had to face the terrible tragedy in the church of the clerical sexual abuse of minors."

Despite the problems, the capital campaign, which is in its final year, collected $76 million, the bishop said.

He said the campaign was also to support improvements to St. Mary's Seminary and for contributions to Catholic inner-city schools.

Fiorenza said he has launched another campaign to raise about $8 million for furnishings and an endowment for the new cathedral.

"It will have a quality of light and space that makes it a sacred space,"said Scott Ziegler of Ziegler Cooper Architects. He said the cathedral will have the size and capacity that invokes a sense of spirituality in its exterior and interior.

The limestone and marble building will include stained glass and be topped by a metal-domed roof. A free-standing bell tower will reach 140 feet in height.

Original plans for an underground crypt have been scrapped. The cathedral also was originally planned to have a capacity of nearly 2,200.

"It is going to be a beautiful edifice for downtown and will contribute to making Houston a city of God," said Brother Jim Barrette, director of the secretariat for pastoral and educational ministries for the archdiocese.

"It will be very beautiful and majestic in a way a cathedral should be," Barrette said.

richard.vara@chron.com

What was the original capacity for this thing anway?

I'm glad it's getting built, but for once I wish a major project in this city would swing for the fences in terms of architecture. I suppose the design's pleasant enough, but nothing more. It looks far from memorable, and it will probably remain unknown outside of the city. Time and time again, the kinds of major projects that other cities use to make architectural statements in Houston end up as just, well, mediocre. My Hall of Shame in that regard includes the Wortham, Hobby Center, MFAH addition, and now this thing. Houston used to be thought of as a leader in modern architecture. What happened? For someone who loves architecture, this city sure gets depressing sometimes.

Wow, 28 months to complete! This is going to be some building. I hope the city follows through on their idea to build a diagonal boulevard that runs from the Cathedral to the convention center. Diagonal boulevards always elicit interesting architecture by necessity (Flatiron Building).

I'm glad it's getting built, but for once I wish a major project in this city would swing for the fences in terms of architecture.  I suppose the design's pleasant enough, but nothing more.  It looks far from memorable, and it will probably remain unknown outside of the city.  Time and time again, the kinds of major projects that other cities use to make architectural statements in Houston end up as just, well, mediocre.  My Hall of Shame in that regard includes the Wortham, Hobby Center, MFAH addition, and now this thing.  Houston used to be thought of as a leader in modern architecture.  What happened?  For someone who loves architecture, this city sure gets depressing sometimes.

Why did they scale it back? And what the hell does the mayor think he's doing? Instead of focusing on towing ppls cars he should be working on making downtown more livable....

Wow, 28 months to complete! This is going to be some building. I hope the city follows through on their idea to build a diagonal boulevard that runs from the Cathedral to the convention center. Diagonal boulevards always elicit interesting architecture by necessity (Flatiron Building).

That diagonal street will never happen. Not only will the city bungle all of its finances but most of the drivers here will end up crashing into each other. Forget it dude...

I'm so happy that this is being built. I grew up in South Lousiaiana were cathedrals and catholic churches were the center of the city. In my home town of about 30,000 we had a co-Cathedral like Houston. We shared the head of the diocese with a neighboring town. The cathedral in our city was designed to be very old looking with many influences of french cathedrals. A strange coincidence that the cathedral in my home town and the one in Houston are both St. Joseph.

I like the italian style that the one being build in Houston will carry with the bell tower off to the side.

The new building seems to have a lot of modern touches. This offends some people, but i like it. It helps bring the church into modern times. In 100 or 200 years from now it will be old and a classic too.

It is scaled back because of a lack of funding and support.

It really isn't a great time for the Catholic Church right now, especially when trying to raise money in light of the HUGE settlement payments being made to all the victims in the child molestation cases.

It's really that simple.

Top Ten Changes Made for Downsized Cathedral

10. Pews to be made of particle-board and veneer.

9. Chalices will feature unbreakable "flexi-stem" technology by Rubbermaid.

8. No Brita for Holy Water.

7. Pipe organ plans scrapped in favor of Kawasaki XL9000 "Symphony in One" keyboard.

6. Stained glass designs changed from Gothic to Minimalist.

5. Expensive, closed-in confessionals abandoned for contemporary "open air" booth format.

4. Contract for "fruit of the vine" awarded to Franzia.

3. Multiple dipping bowls for Holy Water scrapped in favor of one central, "mingle and meet" location.

2. Standard portrait of Pope John Paul II not ordered; odds on pontiff's health apparently lose out against 28 month construction period.

1. Air conditioning systems to be turned off on confession nights. The word from the bishop: "Make 'em sweat."

Top Ten Changes Made for Downsized Cathedral

10. Pews to be made of particle-board and veneer.

9. Chalices will feature unbreakable "flexi-stem" technology by Rubbermaid.

8. No Brita for Holy Water.

7. Pipe organ plans scrapped in favor of Kawasaki XL9000 "Symphony in One" keyboard.

6. Stained glass designs changed from Gothic to Minimalist.

5. Expensive, closed-in confessionals abandoned for contemporary "open air" booth format.

4. Contract for "fruit of the vine" awarded to Franzia.

3. Multiple dipping bowls for Holy Water scrapped in favor of one central, "mingle and meet" location.

2. Standard portrait of Pope John Paul II not ordered; odds on pontiff's health apparently lose out against 28 month construction period.

1. Air conditioning systems to be turned off on confession nights.  The word from the bishop: "Make 'em sweat."

sniggle snort. :lol:

• 2 months later...