First Unsignalized Dutch Style Intersection In Texas

It looks like Davis, California beat the first U.S. Dutch intersection to the punch [link] but it looks like a non-signalized variant that allows bicycle lanes to fully interface with other bike lanes on the cross streets, is live in College Station, Texas, on a street that I myself did bike on when I went back to my rental place in Eastgate. The paint is luminescent and glows at night due to the solar energy from the day. The intersection itself is relatively low-traffic (the roads at Texas A&M are designed to be antagonistic to non-bus vehicular traffic, forcing traffic onto the roads that line the perimeter of the campus) but I think it's still kind of neat that they managed to export the intersection to Texas. Wonder if Houston will see one soon...

http://today.tamu.edu/2016/10/04/first-in-u-s-dutch-style-unsignalized-intersection-installed-at-tamu/

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2016 at 2:45 PM, IronTiger said:

It looks like Davis, California beat the first U.S. Dutch intersection to the punch [link] but it looks like a non-signalized variant that allows bicycle lanes to fully interface with other bike lanes on the cross streets, is live in College Station, Texas, on a street that I myself did bike on when I went back to my rental place in Eastgate. The paint is luminescent and glows at night due to the solar energy from the day. The intersection itself is relatively low-traffic (the roads at Texas A&M are designed to be antagonistic to non-bus vehicular traffic, forcing traffic onto the roads that line the perimeter of the campus) but I think it's still kind of neat that they managed to export the intersection to Texas. Wonder if Houston will see one soon...

http://today.tamu.edu/2016/10/04/first-in-u-s-dutch-style-unsignalized-intersection-installed-at-tamu/

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. It looks like a regular intersection with some fancy paint in on half the pedestrian crossing on the half that bikes tend to use anyways.

I cringe when I think of how much money was wasted on this fancy paint job meanwhile people pay 1.75 every few miles because we apparently can't afford to build roads.

6 hours ago, VinnyVincent said:

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. It looks like a regular intersection with some fancy paint in on half the pedestrian crossing on the half that bikes tend to use anyways.

I cringe when I think of how much money was wasted on this fancy paint job meanwhile people pay 1.75 every few miles because we apparently can't afford to build roads.

I only pay $1.50, due to my special relationship with HCTRA. And no, we can't afford to build big freeways without tolls right now, since there's no way to raise the taxes necessary to do so.

• The title was changed to First Unsignalized Dutch Style Intersection In Texas

Archived