Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

I read an article that said that Six Flags over Texas is getting alot of new rides and many of them are comming from AstroWorld.

According to an article in the Dallas Morning News, Six Flags Arlington is getting 10 new attractions but only two are coming from Astroworld.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n2.e1d6c26.html

I'm assuming the Rocket Ship is the Looping Starship. The "Sidewinder" sounds like the simple, classic amusement ride which has several pinwheels spinning on a main rotating wheel. I don't know what it was called as Astroworld.

So, I'm wondering what will become of the newer, better rides, like the Serial Thriller, Batman, or Viper. It seems like those rides weren't ready for the scrap heap. Maybe they were high-maintenance.

Six Flags on the fast track for expansion

Arlington: 10 attractions to debut in March mark park's greatest addition

07:48 AM CST on Friday, November 11, 2005

By SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News

Six Flags Over Texas will open its season in March with 10 new rides

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to an article in the Dallas Morning News, Six Flags Arlington is getting 10 new attractions but only two are coming from Astroworld.

Sidewinder is the Runaway Rickshaws.

Rock N Rocket is the Looping Starship

Edited by gnu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like Houston just got kicked, spit at, and then robbed - followed by the arrogant display of the plunder for all to see - without the least consideration or regard for the feelings of the victim. I hope the children of Dallas enjoy the loot. Meanwhile, my daughters have repeatedly asked me: “why can’t we go to Astroworld again Daddy?”

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like Houston just got kicked, spit at, and then robbed - followed by the arrogant display of the plunder for all to see - without the least consideration or regard for the feelings of the victim. I hope the children of Dallas enjoy the loot. Meanwhile, my daughters have repeatedly asked me: “why can’t we go to Astroworld again Daddy?”

I hope Houston gets a really big theme park with all new cutting edge stuff that would make all other cities and there theme parks look at Houston and its new theme park.

I remember back in the early 90's there was a rumor that Walt Disney was thinking about putting a theme park West or Northwest of Houston but didn't think the economy could support two parks. Does anyone else remember this? or was I dreaming.

I remember back in the early 90's there was a rumor that Walt Disney was thinking about putting a theme park West or Northwest of Houston but didn't think the economy could support two parks. Does anyone else remember this? or was I dreaming.

Thats been a rumor since the 70s. Infact, everyone I've talked to about Astroworld is like "Don't worry, There building a disney world in Katy/Woodlands/Huntsville/Galveston...

• 2 weeks later...

New-ish guy here, first post and all. Been reading/following this forum for about a year now, great place.

Anyway, not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but I was browsing through the demolition photos on www.oldastroworld.com.

Anyone find it really creepy that they've left the tall raggedy ghosts up from fright-fest on the etrance? Gives me the heeby-jeeby's!

• 2 weeks later...
More traffic jams. It's already a nightmare along 610 feeder road.

And as far as "communities" being there, who would want to live at that busy exchange?

The only reason there are traffic jams along the 610 feeder road in that area is that TxDOT has been shutting down various lanes and various exits to rebuild the feeder for the last few months (or year now?)

Every time I drive through there on the feeder (which is several times a week), it's totally different than the last time I was there...different lanes open, can I get on the freeway at this entrance, do I have to keep going to the next entrance, ooops my exit is closed...you get the picture.

There aren't any busy interchanges in that stretch of the South Loop as far as I can see. The only time the area really becomes a hassle is when the Texans are playing...and with the way the played last year and the resulting small crowds, traffic wasn't even a hassle on those days.

I think there are plenty of people who want to live in a safe, affordable close-in area like that between Fannin and Kirby.

That being said, I would expect commercial frontage, hopefully something high-profile to match the Reliant Stadium and whatever they're going to do with the Dome, with some residential behind it.

Doesn't Wildcat Golf Course back up to the Astroworld property? I know it touches Holmes Road back there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Either way, they will need some new roads to get in and out.

Before, everyone who used this area parked across 610. That helped manage traffic.

That funky curve where Loop 610 E loops under 288 is a road to nowhere. And trying to leave and get to 610 W will be problematic.

Kirby N. under 610 can be a disaster.

More than likely the space will get a couple of Fertita's restaurants and some mini-storage place. More of the same sprawl the Houston is famous for.

I would be extremely disappointed if they put something suburban like that that close to DT. Though I wouldn't put it past some developers trying to make a quick buck.

I would be extremely disappointed if they put something suburban like that that close to DT. Though I wouldn't put it past some developers trying to make a quick buck.

I don't think they would. I honestly can't think what developers would put over that land? Perhaps a giant car dealership? Kinda like that dealership that bought that Holiday Inn by the Marq-e and tore it down.

• Like 1

I don't think they would. I honestly can't think what developers would put over that land? Perhaps a giant car dealership? Kinda like that dealership that bought that Holiday Inn by the Marq-e and tore it down.

I think that the buyers can find something better to do with a 110-acre parcel of land adjacent to a major freeway than put a car dealership.

That location is terrible. It worked well since Astroworld only need one entrance and exit.

And the noise for 610 can be very annoying.

The location is anything BUT terrible! It's bounded by an interstate highway (610), three major thoroughfares (Kirby, Bellfort and Fannin) AND it's got light rail running along one side! Access-wise, it's a developer's dream!

As for noise, I live several hundred feet from 288 (I can see the traffic on 288 from my upstairs windows) and it's never once annoyed me. I do hear 288 on occasion when I'm working in the yard (when I'm thinking about it), but 99% of the time, your mind just tunes it out, just like living near an airport or railroad (except that the noise is nowhere near as loud as those). You cannot hear it inside the house. Besides, I'm sure that any residential portion of the development would be sitting behind the commercial that will front on 610. Noise will not be any more of an issue than any other commercial development on any other freeway.

My personal opinion is that for the price this land will go for, you're going to see a pretty nice development here...probably similar to Meyerland Plaza, with the addition of residential.

And judging by the responses on here, a lot of folks will be surprised. A car dealership? Really? :blink: