Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHh yes. Would you believe that the original DIsneyworld was set ot be in Houston? For some reason city council didn't approve of it and it went to Orland Flordia.

Yes this loss is gonna hit Houston hard. We have no major tourist attractions now. Lost tons of jobs. People are gonna be completly bored now. Sad the are gonna make it into Office or retail space. They ought to make this cool activity or entertainment center there.

Ahh yes Houston needed somethingbetter. Astroworld didn't rank high when it comes to the nations theme parks. You've got Cedar Point and even Majic Mountain. WHoever get's it is gonna inherit alot of space.

Only question is where to put the new park. I say Katy, I-45 and Gulf Freeway,near I-45 and 1960 or the Northeast corner of Beltway 8.

I was gonna say that big open pasture in Sugarland but the residents probrably wouldn't approve. Then there's the problem of would any company put in such an investment to build a park in Houston. We're often left out on many many things.

Yeah, the JSC and Space Center Houston, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Ballet, Houston Symphony, Butterfly Museum, MFA, CAM, Menil...I HATE this city...all that culture crap...give me a duble wide n a peece of ass n i'll be happy. Give me Plastic...it's the new Britney... :lol:

B)

Guest Plastic

Now that it's closed what do you think they should od with it. They're taking the rides apart so whoever buys it on't get a whole amusement park. I've heard they are gonna use it for office or retail.

I think the most logical use is as follows:

Strip of land along freeway (30%): strip malls and pad sites (restaurant, most likely)

Southwest section (40%): additional surface parking for Reliant complex

Southeast section (30%): apartment-style housing with easy access to the light rail, possibly with some retail mixed in

This scenario would necessitate that the bridge over Loop 610 is retained to connect to the parking zone. I don't think that is a problem if the property is developed piecemeal. But if a developer wants to implement a comprehensive plan, the developer will probably want to get rid of the bridge and that would likely preclude a parking area. However, parking patrons could still potentially cross at Kirby.

I think we had a thread somewhere about the buyer. I think the proposal was for some sort of mixed-used concept. I understand you point about the parking, but I doubt that would happen unless the county pays the developer for it or if the developer builds some parking to charge for events.

Why would you make parking in the southwest corner, I'd put it in the northwest.

The land along the freeway is valuable for commercial development and its most economic use is not for parking. Further back, away from the freeway, land is less valuable and parking could be a viable use.

I'm envisioning that the Livestock show and Rodeo organization would buy the property to be used for parking.

I saw the thread about a mixed-use development, but my impression is that it was just speculation and possibly wishful thinking. If there is a plan in the works, then I suppose my idea is wrong. I would definitely like to see a mixed use development, but I'm a little skeptical the area can support it. I do see a need for more parking, a demand for commercial development along the freeway, and demand for some housing near the light rail station.

I really hope they at least do something good with the rail line frontage....Mixed use, perhaps. Also, maybe a parking garage, or something, for Reliant, or whatever.

I really hope they at least do something good with the rail line frontage....Mixed use, perhaps. Also, maybe a parking garage, or something, for Reliant, or whatever.

Why does everyone want additional parking for Reliant? I thought there was sufficient parking already, with the lots around the stadium and the lots across Kirby that stretch all the way over to Main...

Am I missing something? Is there insufficient parking at Reliant Stadium?

Anyhow, my 2-cents is that development of the Astroworld property will be coordinated with the redevelopment of the Astrodome.

It will probably turn into a Perry Homes subdivision --- one of their new "urban" developments. Ideally it should become a high density neighborhood with a good smattering of retail, along with office space. Perhaps a large "park" could span the freeway allowing access to the Reliant Complex. Either way they need only provide parking for themselves Relaint has plenty of parking! If anything the Reliant Complex should construct a couple multi-story parking facilities, so their outlying lots wont be needed.

It will probably turn into a Perry Homes subdivision --- one of their new "urban" developments. Ideally it should become a high density neighborhood with a good smattering of retail, along with office space. Perhaps a large "park" could span the freeway allowing access to the Reliant Complex. Either way they need only provide parking for themselves Relaint has plenty of parking! If anything the Reliant Complex should construct a couple multi-story parking facilities, so their outlying lots wont be needed.

Parking would be an issue. One reason A-World is closing, is because Reliant Park wouldn't renue the Parking contract. There has to be something going on at Reliant Park for them not to, perhaps a bigger picture?

Guest Plastic
Parking would be an issue. One reason A-World is closing, is because Reliant Park wouldn't renue the Parking contract. There has to be something going on at Reliant Park for them not to, perhaps a bigger picture?

Why they be so anul and do something like that?

Why they be so anul and do something like that?

Future developement in the Reliant Park? I am not sure. But they didn't renue the lease, leading Astroworld with no parking. So, six flags decided to close this park, (because) what park would you pick to close? Hm, texas already has 3, oh well Houston's won't have parking, and we can't afford to build a parking lot.

My degree wasn't in any kind of business. But I guess that there is a logical reason why Astroworld was closed down. I guess that the nearest amusement park we can now go to is in San Antonio.

The Six Flags in Dallas is alot better then San Antonio. They not only have alot more rides, but better ones! :)

Perhaps the former Astroworld property could become a municipally owned park and exhibition center along the lines of Hemisfair Plaza in San Antonio and/or Fair Park in Dallas. Deconstruct the amusement park and construct an Olympic staging area.