Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

i will say that i know of a few folks totally saddened by the closing. the metrorail made it easier to get down there and my kiddo actually mowed lawns to save for his season pass and is really wild about rollercoasters (whether the water near them smells like "piss" or not, i guess).

i think the deterioration there up to this point just makes them selling it off, just more sad. remember the sleigh ride, excalibur, marvel mcfey?

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/photos/Hist...l-Photos?page=1

i am wondering why some folks in this thread keep thinking that disney would be interested in building a park here -- forgive me if that is a naive question. i guess they did just open a park in china...

http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20050912-032305-2724r.htm

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This pic just brought back memories, I remember this at AstroWorld I think in the late 80s or early 90's when I was a kid. I remember the part that goes up and down as being much bigger though. It use to go very slowly up to the top so you could look out and see all of Houston. I still have pictures my parents took from going to the top. what ever happened to it?

hofheinz.jpg

The picture is not working but some of you know what I am talking about. It was kind of like the dungen drop, only it did not move that fast.

here is a link to the picture: http://www.sixflagshouston.com/photos/Hist...Photos/hofheinz

Why doen't anyone mention Adventure Bay as one of Houston's water parks? http://www.adventurebay.com/

Doesn't Houston have:

Splash Town

Water World- Soon to be closed along with AstroWorld

Adventure Bay

Soon to come:Shliterbahn

Nasa

Kemah Boardwalk

Also what about theme park in Houston called The Reef? Does that still exist?

Mush2a.jpg

And I think there was or still is a theme park called Captin Hooks or something like that.

What city should get the new theme park?

Maybe we should make a poll on this. Possible choices include:

* Galveston

* Houston city limits (anywhere within the Houston city limits)

* League City

* Pearland

* Sugar Land/Missouri City

* Katy

* Northern Harris County (not including Houston city limits)

* Montgomery County

Houston all the way Baby!

What city should get the new theme park?

Maybe we should make a poll on this. Possible choices include:

* Galveston

* Houston city limits (anywhere within the Houston city limits)

* League City

* Pearland

* Sugar Land/Missouri City

* Katy

* Northern Harris County (not including Houston city limits)

* Montgomery County

is Mongomery County a city?

Sugar Land/Richmond? Missouri City would probably not allow such a park, due to their new stricter development guidelines. If anything, we'd see a new park waaay out.

But, hey, if you wanna see someplace Disney-Ish, just go over to Market Street, in The Woodlands. ;)

Yeah, like that big, boring cultural wasteland Manhattan.

B)

(the above in reply to a major city not having an amusement park)

Never heard of Coney Island? True, it's in Brooklyn, but still you can reach it by rail fairly easily.

An advantage Astroworld had that cannot be duplicated (at this time) is its accessability to both motorists and public transportation riders. As an aside, I read somewhere that part of the reason amusement parks prospered at the turn of the 20th century was that electric companies had excess generating capacity on Saturday nights and Sundays, when factories were closed. What better way to generate income during these times than to put a well-lit amusement park at the end of an electric trolley line? They were accessable to and well attended by people of all economic classes.

The socioeconomic forces which once made modestly priced amusement parks common have changed. People who can afford to do so would rather take their families on weekend trips to a modern mega-amusement park. And those who can't afford to do that probably aren't going to spend enough at a second-rate local park to make it worthwhile.

I'm not optimistic about another park taking AstroWorld's place.

This pic just brought back memories, I remember this at AstroWorld I think in the late 80s or early 90's when I was a kid. I remember the part that goes up and down as being much bigger though. It use to go very slowly up to the top so you could look out and see all of Houston. I still have pictures my parents took from going to the top. what ever happened to it?

hofheinz.jpg

The picture is not working but some of you know what I am talking about. It was kind of like the dungen drop, only it did not move that fast.

here is a link to the picture: http://www.sixflagshouston.com/photos/Hist...Photos/hofheinz

Astroneedle was deconstructed a few years ago due to foundation problems, it had been in the park for thirty years since opening day. Originally the plan was to send to the Mexico City park but alas this never happened and the tubes of the ride have rusted and rotted in "the boneyard" next to employee parking. From the Texas Cyclone lift hill you can see pieces of the ride off to the right.

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/rides/viewride.php?id=53

dbigtex56:

I'm not optimistic about another park taking AstroWorld's place.

I want to disagree, but deep down inside, I don't think so either. I so badly hope that I'm wrong. Disney coming here, I don't see that as a reality. I've heard those rumors are false anyway. If we get anything, I think it'll come from someone locally; someone with strong ties to the city. Yo, Fertitta! Maybe Tilman will start a chain of parks with the flagship being right here in Houston. Let's get something going.

I want to disagree, but deep down inside, I don't think so either. I so badly hope that I'm wrong. Disney coming here, I don't see that as a reality. I've heard those rumors are false anyway. If we get anything, I think it'll come from someone locally; someone with strong ties to the city. Yo, Fertitta! Maybe Tilman will start a chain of parks with the flagship being right here in Houston. Let's get something going.

I keep on hearing "Tilman", Who or what is Tilma?

Ken Hoffman was just on the radio and he said there were also rumors of downtown joint project with Disney and George Lucas. I'm sure they amount to nothing. No telling how old the rumor is anyway. Though he didn't elaborate as to why, but Ken Hoffman didn't seem that optimistic about another theme park, either.

This is making me go crazy! I want to here something now about a new theme park! Give me a news paper article, a TV conference or something. I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!

The wheels of change move slowly. Be patient.

I'm always amazed at how many people don't realize that real estate developments take years of feasibility study, financial structuring, engineering and architectural design and then contruction before you see a finished product. It often takes years before you see a blade of dirt turned on a property. There is a lot of planning and thought and effort that has to go into a project.

Six Flags, Inc stock has a very positive buy position. It probably is dumping Astroworld because it's more run down than worth fixing, the land is a cash cow and attendance just isn't up to their quotas. Apparently it's a drag on the company and as we all know, the stock holders come first.

B)

Six Flags, Inc stock has a very positive buy position. It probably is dumping Astroworld because it's more run down than worth fixing, the land is a cash cow and attendance just isn't up to their quotas. Apparently it's a drag on the company and as we all know, the stock holders come first.

B)

Why would thet expect attendence to be up to their quotas? They haven't placed a decent ride in the part since Serial Thirller!

"No, but I said "Montgomery County" since The Woodlands isn't incorporated.

Incorporated? Does that mean it isn't part of The Houston Metropolitan Area?"

No.. it means that...

There is no mayor of "The Woodlands"

The police are Montgomery County Police

and pretty much the municipality IS the county, minus the private services provided for by the planned community.

An overview of the area.

astro_2.jpg

I didn't realize how small Astroworld really was compared to the Reliant Complex.

I thought if they spruced up Astroworld, it would have been a major boost for the upcoming Astrodome Hotel. I'd say the theme park would do SO much better if it were privately run, and I still think if it were revitalized by a new private owner, it could still be a major success.

It would suck to have to go to San Antonio or Dallas to go to a quality theme park. We definately need something built or revitalized quick in Houston while our land prices are at what they are.

Why would thet expect attendence to be up to their quotas? They haven't placed a decent ride in the part since Serial Thirller!

By the way, this is the EXACT reason why Astroworld is at where it is today. Astroworld itself has great potential. The current Six Flags executives suck for their lack of quality. If they had any, they would have shown it with Astroworld; the longest running theme park in their chain.

Isn't Splashtown owned by Six Flags, too? Does this mean we lose our two only theme parks? WTF?

Developers Line up for 109-Acre AstroWorld Closing

By Amy Wolff Sorter

Last updated: September 14, 2005 08:58am

HOUSTON-While the announced year-end closing of Six Flags Inc.'s AstroWorld theme park is likely to disappoint the visitors who flock there to experience everything from Looney Tunes to thrill rides, the Greater Houston real estate community is gearing up for what sources point out could be an extremely interesting redevelopment and repositioning.

for the rest of the article: http://www.globest.com/news/370_370/houston/138215-1.html