Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

I hate to see more sprawl with a giant park facility out towards Katy (I'd imagine somewhere around the US99 area?). The same for the Woodlands, Kingwood/Humble, or Sugarland/Rosenberg area.

I could only see another park in that void area along US288 between I610 & BW8. It would still be inside the belt - and you know that this area is going to end up as housing anyway.

This brings up the subject however, of who should build?

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was glad to finally see news that Astroworld was being sold. It has been an eyesore for years now so good riddance is what I say. I would love to see a city park in it's place. A pool, baseball and soccer fields, a jogging track, lots of trees for picnics in the shade. What an asset that would be for the growing residential population in the area. You can build a tacky amusment park anywhere. But a first class city park-that's a rare opportunity.

B)

Talks for Houston or Texas in general? Because if any city in Texas gets a new theme park, especially a Disney theme park, everyone knows it'll go to ... Midland.

Well I've heard a couple of locations, but I have heard only in the Houston area, so it could be anywhere. But the locations I have heard are in Sealy and in Katy.

Thanks for the links. I am surprised the value went down in '05 seeing as how the med center seems to keep expanding south.

And Pineda do you really think it will be a parking lot or park and ride? I mean with the area booming along with the TMC expanding, and being adjacent to the rail line I can't see it going to waste as a parking lot. I am sure a developer will want in on the action. History may prove me wrong, but I hope not.

I'm not sure where to put this note, but Six Flags has decided to shut down Astroworld and sell the property.

Apparently the land is worth more than the amusement park.

WOW is about time, I always thought Astroworld was dirty and boring, I acctualy bought me a 04 season pass and used it twise. I think it was Viper that had a little pond with dirty GREEN water, the water on every ride smelled like piss and the rides where dirty and most of them sucked even the "new" Diablo Falls wich is too small. Most of the rides where broke or wherent open. I remenber last year I saw a Nemo and Sponge Bob stuffed animal as a prize in the arcade and I thought to my self "isn't this suposed to be a Looney Tunes park" and they weren't even the real thing they were boleged LOL. I'm not happy nor sad about this.

It'll be REAL NICE if another park opens up specially a DISNEY Park , Sea World , or a Sesame Street (I think there's one close to Philly). Just imagen DISNEY in Houston I think it'll be a good choice 3rd coast Disney WOW. I wonder what the would call it maybe Disney Universe LMAO. The impact it'll have on Houston, I think it should be built near downtown or uptown maybe near downtown they could tear down those rundown houses.

Just my thoughts

One think ill miss Dungen Drop and SWAT......

It'll be REAL NICE if another park opens up specially a DISNEY Park , Sea World , or a Sesame Street (I think there's one close to Philly). Just imagen DISNEY in Houston I think it'll be a good choice 3rd coast Disney WOW. I wonder what the would call it maybe Disney Universe LMAO. The impact it'll have on Houston, I think it should be built near downtown or uptown maybe near downtown they could tear down those rundown houses.

What is Sesame St.? I know it is a show, but is it an amusement park. And I hope they don't build a disney park near downtown. This is one of those times LT. AWACS old saying "they should have built this DT" does not apply. Plus the land would be too expensive, they would just take the smart move and build further out. Not to mention you need to get these people to sell their homes.

Unless the Supreme court finds that they aren't as proffitable as disney. ;) j/k

I was glad to finally see news that Astroworld was being sold. It has been an eyesore for years now so good riddance is what I say. I would love to see a city park in it's place. A pool, baseball and soccer fields, a jogging track, lots of trees for picnics in the shade. What an asset that would be for the growing residential population in the area. You can build a tacky amusment park anywhere. But a first class city park-that's a rare opportunity.

B)

Bravo! nmainguy. Your idea doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell here in Houston, of course, but I like it. I think pineda's right: it'll be a parking lot for Reliant City, er, Park. Or a Super WalMart.

In the below image, note the rail line, as well as the large parcels of land located nearby...

areamap4bb.jpg

Looking at the lefthand ariel image, have y'all ever ever noticed the symmetry of the whole 'Astrodomain' complex, both North and South of the Loop? (at least it was symmetric before they built that monstrosity next door to the Dome ...) The two complexes line up down the middle!

This was intentional from what I've read, a master-planned entertainment complex, if you will, complete with parking accomodations for both. I recall some reference to the Champs d'Elysse in Paris as inspiration for it, but I've never seen that so am not sure.

As far as Astroworld goes, I got the distinct impression from the Ch. 11 story last night that the property would be sold to residential real estate developers ... surprise!

I also would guess it's highly unlikely that another theme park would ever be built there ...

It is sad to see all the "Astroworld sucks, I'm glad its closing" sentiment on this board. Yes, Six Flags let Astroworld go. They didn't maintain it and they didn't market it. However, this is bad for Houston.

First of all, 1500+ jobs are lost. Secondly, shouldn't we be asking why, in the 10th largest market in the US, they ignored one of their properties? Why are parks in places like Buffalo, St. Louis, and Oklahoma City remaining open? The real estate value of the property is only half the story. The US just doesn't view Houston as a place that people want to come visit. Disney here??!! Get real. Unfortunately, there will never be another major theme park bulit in Houston unless someone with local interests does it--and that's doubtful as well.

Sad, very sad.

The Chronicle siad today that another theme park operator is likley to build in a Houston suburb now that this has happened.
I read that, too.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3351145

After AstroWorld closes, an investor will likely build an amusement park in the Houston-area suburbs, some said.

"There is strong market in Houston for this type of facility," Eckels said.

This was intentional from what I've read, a master-planned entertainment complex, if you will, complete with parking accomodations for both.  I recall some reference to the Champs d'Elysse in Paris as inspiration for it, but I've never seen that so am not sure.

this is the avenue des champs