Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

I love the idea. Unfortunately, in todays society Drive Ins would not work without hardcore security. Too bad/sad that the bad apples outnumber the good in these cases. That was one of the main reasons AW was closed. Too many reports of trouble in paradise.

Google the REAL reason AW was closed.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What tha hell???

Six Flags went and tore down Astroworld and this property has been just sitting vacant ever since!

Typical Houston lame-o planning.

I love the idea. Unfortunately, in todays society Drive Ins would not work without hardcore security. Too bad/sad that the bad apples outnumber the good in these cases. That was one of the main reasons AW was closed. Too many reports of trouble in paradise.

Say WHAT?

*ahem* The Show-Boat Drive in has been operating out near Tomball for a while now and to my knowledge they have not had any problems with regard to security.

I've driven across town to see films there and I HIGHLY recommend it!

What tha hell???

Six Flags went and tore down Astroworld and this property has been just sitting vacant ever since!

Typical Houston lame-o planning.

Say WHAT?

*ahem* The Show-Boat Drive in has been operating out near Tomball for a while now and to my knowledge they have not had any problems with regard to security.

I've driven across town to see films there and I HIGHLY recommend it!

where is it?

Just curious, exactly who do you consider to be at fault here? Or is it just the fault of the Houston area in general?

It's everybody's fault! Nah, mostly it's Six Flags' fault for closing my beloved Astroworld!

Bastards. Now all we have is a boring and vacant lot!

:angry2::wacko:

Anyway, it's Houston's fault for not promoting development of the property...and no, putting an Earl Sheibs or a car dealership or apartment complex there ain't gonna cut it! We need something fun and exciting.

At the very least they could put a SUPER Original Timmy Chans there! Bee-otches!

So, that's what I say. So let it be written, so let it be done! :lol:

Edited by Disastro

Anyway, it's Houston's fault for not promoting development of the property...and no, putting an Earl Sheibs or a car dealership or apartment complex there ain't gonna cut it! We need something fun and exciting.

The purist in me would like to say that the City of Houston shouldn't show favoritism by promoting one tract of land over all others, I know that's not realistic or even a good idea (e.g., see BallparkatUnionStationEnronFieldAstrosFieldMinuteMaidPark, Discovery Green, or the proposed Dynamo Stadium.) Some tracts should be promoted for development over others.

So, I do have to agree with you that in some ways, the City of Houston could do more to promote development of the Astroworld tract. It's in a very good location, very visible. But it's not real high on the priority list right now compared to some other things.

I would bet that you'll hear something on the Astroworld tract once a plan is firmed up with the potential Astrodome convention center/hotel.

At the very least they could put a SUPER Original Timmy Chans there! Bee-otches!

At this time, I can't comment on that. Anything you are hearing at this point in time is just rumor. ;)

where is it?

Follow the link...

http://www.theshowboatdrivein.com/

They show those old intermission clips during the intermission... B)

The purist in me would like to say that the City of Houston shouldn't show favoritism by promoting one tract of land over all others, I know that's not realistic or even a good idea (e.g., see BallparkatUnionStationEnronFieldAstrosFieldMinuteMaidPark, Discovery Green, or the proposed Dynamo Stadium.) Some tracts should be promoted for development over others.

So, I do have to agree with you that in some ways, the City of Houston could do more to promote development of the Astroworld tract. It's in a very good location, very visible. But it's not real high on the priority list right now compared to some other things.

I would bet that you'll hear something on the Astroworld tract once a plan is firmed up with the potential Astrodome convention center/hotel.

At this time, I can't comment on that. Anything you are hearing at this point in time is just rumor. ;)

Yeah, definitely the Astrodome is higher priority...and rightfully so. :)

Do you have an insider connection with the new owners of the site? Is the new owner not planning something? And if not, then what evidence do you have that the City and the owner have not already talked about development?

Even if City involvement were desirable and necessary, do you really suspect that they'd make a big publicity event out of a back-room deal with a single land owner?

Impatience is a poor excuse for ill-informed bellyaching.

Do you have an insider connection with the new owners of the site? Is the new owner not planning something? And if not, then what evidence do you have that the City and the owner have not already talked about development?

Even if City involvement were desirable and necessary, do you really suspect that they'd make a big publicity event out of a back-room deal with a single land owner?

Impatience is a poor excuse for ill-informed bellyaching.

Oh blah-blah-blah!

1.) Why are you flaming me over this? and 2.) Where is your almighty "evidence" that anything is being done to develop the site?

So far, anything I've offered up on this topic is about as substantial as what you have...which is to say: nothing.

Pffft!

Edited by Disastro

I think one section of the barbed wire fence around the tract has fallen over....need to get me a metal detector and go on an Astroworld archaeological dig...

I noticed that too! I want to take my dog over there! I wonder if I would get in trouble for trespassing!

That's it! A huge Dog Park! Astroworld Plot has found it's calling!

1.) Why are you flaming me over this? and 2.) Where is your almighty "evidence" that anything is being done to develop the site?

I haven't made a claim that anything is or is not happening here. I'm only disputing the claim that you've made on account of that you're drawing conclusions contingent upon you knowing something that you apparently don't.

I haven't made a claim that anything is or is not happening here. I'm only disputing the claim that you've made on account of that you're drawing conclusions contingent upon you knowing something that you apparently don't.

Who appointed you arbiter of what one knows and doesn't?

Be gone, troll!

I found an old book called Houston at a salvage place in old Galveston this past weekend. It had a big section of Astroworld and the Astrodome dated about 1970.

Must have had about 10-20 pages of nice color photos. All original rides and characters frolicking about. Its just hard to imagine that it is now a memory. Thouroughly depressing it is old mates. :(

http://www.oldastroworld.com/

mmvfeyshow.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

I was wondering if anyone has heard about the latest on the developement of the old Six Flags Land that was purchased by a development company. I read somewhere that it was going to be a mixed use development but I've seen nothing and was wondering if something's changed. Any updates would be appreciated. I live near the area.

Cindy

• 3 months later...
I was wondering if anyone has heard about the latest on the developement of the old Six Flags Land that was purchased by a development company. I read somewhere that it was going to be a mixed use development but I've seen nothing and was wondering if something's changed. Any updates would be appreciated. I live near the area.

Cindy

Passed through the 610 South area the other day, noticed that several car dealership lots were closed down, but not the one that borders the old Astroworld lot, on Kirby. My guess is the land is soaring in price. New construction in recent years is booming, compared to years past.

How bizarre must it look to an outsider, who never saw Astroworld, coming to Houston and seeing that empty pedestrian bridge to an empty lot full of weeds?

And in that old AW pic - the second one from the left, between the mouse and the rabbit - what the hell is that supposed to be?