Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think the Astroworld site should be the site of a Houston Olympic Village. There is already a pedestrian crosswalk to Reliant Park, and the rail line would go right next to it.

They can be some nice apartments to live in afterwards.

I think the Astroworld site should be the site of a Houston Olympic Village. There is already a pedestrian crosswalk to Reliant Park, and the rail line would go right next to it.

They can be some nice apartments to live in afterwards.

Great Idea. Lets keep an $80 million piece of porperty in waiting for an olympics we do not even have.

Houston needs something like Kemah all outdoor but for the over 21 crowd. Build some lakes, fountains, ect... Some clubs, shopping boutiques, movies, bars, food, outdoor activities, outdoor concerts with local bands and a FREE big act every month venders, street performers, events, plenty of seating. Boat rides bike and walking trails ect... HELLO HOUSTON!!!

we have the walking trails downtown, we (had) the weekly outdoor happy hour thing (does that still go on?). i think the things you mentioned went over better in the burbs (woodlands, kemah).

as far as venders, concerts, and so on, it happens, but there's so much red tape

Edited by sevfiv

Houston needs something like Kemah all outdoor but for the over 21 crowd. Build some lakes, fountains, ect... Some clubs, shopping boutiques, movies, bars, food, outdoor activities, outdoor concerts with local bands and a FREE big act every month venders, street performers, events, plenty of seating. Boat rides bike and walking trails ect... HELLO HOUSTON!!!

Between the downtown park and Pavilions, I think we'll have that pretty much wrapped up. Even the boat rides are not out of the question if the wharf at Allen's Landing is used. I envision the Astroworld tract as more residentially-focused; something that feeds the TMC.

It would just be a nice piece of land to present. Nothing is happening on it now.

Hey Trae,

In the "Houston 2012" project a couple of years ago, the Olympic Village was planned to be set up between UH and TSU. After the Olympics, the Olympic Village would become residential housing for UH and TSU.

Many of the sporting events were to be held at UH...I think the UH Natatorium was to be used for the Olympic swimming and diving events.

DSC02547.jpg

I agree. Houston needs something like Kemah, or the Woodlands. Matter in fact, I was at Kemah this pass weekend and talking about packed. That entertainment would do some good near downtown, or the old Astroworld plot.

What about just putting a broadwalk (something like Kemah's) and build a State-of-the-art Soccer Stadium together? All in one complex.

• 4 months later...
A billboard at nearby Mike Calvert Toyota reads, "The park is gone. We've got the rides now."

Ah yes, reminds me of the Neiman Marcus banners that said something of "survival of the fitess", when Town and Country mall got torn down.

Dynamic Image of banner

Very "puny" of them.

Edited by Pumapayam

• 1 month later...

AstroWorld site's transformation surges ahead

Group seeks city designation to aid in acreage's development

The investment group is planning a mixed-use transit-oriented development for the former theme park land. It would include high-density residential units, offices, shops and a hotel.

Part of the plan includes a proposal to reroute the light rail line through the property.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4484877.html

This is excellent news!

I'm rather curious as to HOW they plan on rerouting the trail.

You have several thousand people parking in the south lot (can anyone get figures on this? One time I estimated 3 thousand cars parked at noon on a weekday, but that was just a rough count) and it would not be cool for them to cross the street to board the rail on private land.

I would suspect that it would probably be easier if they simply had an overhead crossing to the rail unless they want to close off Fannin at Belfort, which I don't think is going to happen.

• 4 months later...

From GlobeSt.com:

Last updated: May 24, 2007 06:45pm

AstroWorld Owner Buys Neighboring Business Park

By Amy Wolff Sorter

HOUSTON-A local developer has obtained $15.4 million in financing for the acquisition and improvements of Interchange Business Park. The 296,000-sf complex's purchase was financed by GE Real Estate as part of its push into Houston.

Angel-McIver LP acquired the class B, eight-building Interchange Business Park from a German company, operating as Interchange Center LP. More importantly from the buyer's point of view is that the park at 8820-30 Interchange Dr. is adjacent to the 109-acre Six Flags AstroWorld site that Angel-McIver bought about a year ago.

"That's the reason we liked the deal," explains Lance Wright, regional director of GE Real Estate's North American Lending. "It's next to the Medical Center and they own the big site." He says Angel-McIver is planning a mixed-use development on the site so "this property is a complement to that development."

This is a 20.2-acre acquisition. ...not insignificant.

• 2 months later...
The $$$ We can find clever thinking...Not in this town(at least not real estate)

Hilarious!

Last I heard they were going to build a huge commercial developement of some sort, but guess it was put on hold as usual.

This is just a suggestion but maybe a huge Rail Station Pitstop could be built there? I mean the rail stops at Reliant anyway right? That could be like a big Grand Central Station type circle or something.

Just a thought everyone don't freakout like usual. Peace!

As much as i miss AW, I would like to see a Jillians/Dave and busters type place there. Angel Mciver said final plans were due out on the 1st of aug. I haven't found anything. The "transportation hub" deal they have drawn up is LAME. The traffic lights around the area are poorly timed.

They should put 500 Billboards up and lease them out!

How about a high tech HD Drive In?

It would not take up too much room!

Just a Thought!

I love the idea. Unfortunately, in todays society Drive Ins would not work without hardcore security. Too bad/sad that the bad apples outnumber the good in these cases. That was one of the main reasons AW was closed. Too many reports of trouble in paradise.