Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um its just an amusement park

Not any more. Now it's 100+ acres of urban blight along the freeway. That is something Houston really needs right now. And when the land becomes a hodgepile of ugly tin buildings or a giant parking lot, I'm sure Houston's quality of life will be much better than when it was a place of joy.

AstroWorld was a special place to some of us. Expect some people to get a little emotional over a photo like that. I mean, at least they could have left some of the more mature trees standing. Not only did Six Flags take the park away but they are making sure they leave Houston as ugly as possible.

That is sad. All those memories I have had there. Oh well, hopefully some mixed-used development goes there. Maybe mid-rise condos and shopping.

I wouldn't want a car dealership or Walmart to go there(although the Walmart could be huge considering they don't need parking because they can use Reliant's parking. Then cover the walkway).

Those f*cking bastards didn't even leave a tree standing. I hope the people responsible for this burn in hell.

Think I counted about three trees left standing.

(although the Walmart could be huge considering they don't need parking because they can use Reliant's parking. Then cover the walkway).

Would you pay $8 - $12 just to park for a Wal-Mart? That's what the city charges to enter these lots.

8-12 not to mention hauling a bunch of crap over the freeway - nope

I will beat that a Wal Mart does go there. But they will try to make Houstonians feel better by saying it will be like no other because it will be urban and everyone will enjoy the nail shop, cleaners, oil change center, brake center, CVS, payless, CiCi's Pizza, urban shopping center.

We need somebody with REAL VISION to do something radical...like build the World's First THREE-STORY WHATABURGER!!!!

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Three stories of juicy 100% beef with all the fixins, just the way I like it. We could OUT-WHATABURGER Corpus Christi's Whataburger-by-the-Bay! We'll all look south at their little 6,000 sf Whataburger and laugh! Oh how we'll laugh!!! a-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

whataburger.JPG

this message brought to you by "Citizens for a No. 1 with Jalapenos and a Dr. Pepper"

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

Good news! AstroWorld is still here. I sent for a Houston spring '06 visitor's guide from the official visitor's bureau (because I enjoy doing so) and included in the packet was a coupon book for area attractions. Imagine my surprise when I opened it to find an AstroWorld coupon and it doesn't expire until September '06! It seems we've all taken a detour to the Twilight Zone and are stuck in a parallel Houston. We need to get back to real Houston and support AstroWorld before its destruction becomes a reality.

Something else interesting is there's a letter from Bill White in the guide and he mentions our theme parks.

That was all written before they knew it was closing down. If I had the power of the mayor of Houston, I would be meeting with entertanment companies like Six Flags, Universal, Paramount, Knotts Berry Farms, and Disney to try to get them to build in Houston. Mabe he already is. Mabe Telman Ferttita is building his own.

Edited by citykid09

it really sucks seeing astroworld gone.I hated the place honestly but thay let it go.where eals coulde u see a bigcity like houston on top of a rollercoaster. i thoguth it was a badass place just shou;da expanded.somemore there was a lota land back there behind them.but what do i know im just 19

it really sucks seeing astroworld gone.I hated the place honestly but thay let it go.where eals coulde u see a bigcity like houston on top of a rollercoaster. i thoguth it was a badass place just shou;da expanded.somemore there was a lota land back there behind them.but what do i know im just 19

It did give a great view of Houston, especially the Dungen drop. I wish they would have atleast kept it open until someother company built a new one.

Yes, but he said parks. Besides, this is the spring '06 issue. Seems it wouldn't have been much of a problem to edit something like that out. It was actually kind of depressing to read and then think about that picture posted above.

. If I had the power of the mayor of Houston, I would be meeting with entertanment companies like Six Flags, Universal, Paramount, Knotts Berry Farms, and Disney to try to get them to build in Houston. Mabe he already is. Mabe Telman Ferttita is building his own.

It would be nice to know something was brewing. Some sort of talks at least.

Its going to be a really good day when we see on the front of the Chronicle and top story on all news and radio stations that Houston is getting a new theme park.

Doubt anything will be built within Houston. Land is cheaper outside the loop. Bill White had his chance to negotiate with Six Flags, though in fairness there wasn't much he could do if Six Flags had their mind made up that Astroworld gets the slash 'n burn to help pay $2 billion in debt. Didn't help relations much that Six Flags decided to sue the city over the parking situation.

Doubt anything will be built within Houston. Land is cheaper outside the loop. Bill White had his chance to negotiate with Six Flags, though in fairness there wasn't much he could do if Six Flags had their mind made up that Astroworld gets the slash 'n burn to help pay $2 billion in debt. Didn't help relations much that Six Flags decided to sue the city over the parking situation.

I know it most likley won't be in Houston's city limits, When I say Houston, I mean the metro as a whloe. The closes I would like to see one is in North west Houston along the Sam Houston tollway.

http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=c2825ff782517bab

Looks as if at least the palm trees were saved and purchased by a local golf course.

i am happy to see that...

but what about the other trees?

it was such a large amount , i'm sure they found a dollar

to be made from that too. with their debt, i'm sure they

or the demo company found some way to benefit.

Realisticly: A large mixed-use development with bad copies of bad architecture. Lots of parking lots and box stores. More crap.

I think you just nailed it.

I wouldn't want this site to be a park, though. It is too well-located and too unique. Doesn't having a whole bunch of vacant land right there go kind of counter to the whole reasoning of spending gobs of cash on light rail? What would have been the point?

• 2 weeks later...