Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this on ABC13 and came to right about but you beat me to it yes its true! And I am very mad! Now Houston doesn't have any theme park. Sixflags has addmitted to not caring about the park because that never upgraded it. The Sixflags brand is Texas born, now I don't even know them anymore, Sixflags has changed.

Mabe this will be good for Houston. People will notice that the city of Houston has no theme park with rides, and they will build something even better.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050912/126098.html?.v=1

I'm not the least bit surprised by this news. Six Flags for years has done almost nothing to update the park or promote it outside the Houston area. And this summer it seems as if they've barely even advertised it at all. Even when we went there when I was a kid in the 1980s it wasn't all that great, and it was a lot better maintained then than now.

I'd rather see a different company come in and build a really good theme park if we have to have one, rather than what we have now.

I hope some cheap million or billionaire don't buy it and keep it them same. It would be good if someone announces a new park for Houston on I-10 near Katy or something. That would be nice. And then Astroworld can be torn down, or it could stay open (as long as its fixed up) and Houston could have 2 theme parks.

I think it actually does a few things.

One, everyone agrees the land where it currently is, is just not enough to have a first rate park. It probably is for the best long term that it get torn down and I know the residential areas are actually growing in really close to Astroworld. Astroworld is somewhat of an eyesore off of 610.

Hopefully, someone will be able to put in a new first rate park in an area where there is sufficient land to grow and expand. I don't know if it was that all the rides were terrible, just not well maintained, marketed, etc.

Also, I think this might strengthen the Astrodome convention idea. If you have an indoor attraction there, now it is the only attraction there, nothing else to compete against.

As for a new park, you know the Tilman's of the world are probably excited. They know they have the chance to be the only player in town. Tilman is probably bidding on the land for where Nasa is as we speak to make Kemah north (just kidding).

Also, I think this might strengthen the Astrodome convention idea.  If you have an indoor attraction there, now it is the only attraction there, nothing else to compete against.

Not likely seeing as the park was an ammenity close by to attract people to the hotel. Now that is one less reason to stay at the astrodome hotel. Seeing as it is being marketed as real estate and not a theme park it will probably become something with medical offices and possibly residential. I hope it is a good development whatever they build. Especially with its proximity to the rail line.

About a month ago, I saw Tilman Fertitta on Channel 11's Saturday morning news and he mentioned something about considering purchasing some land in the Dallas area and/or possibly San Antonio for a possible theme park.
I was just kidding, by the way. He he. Would it surprise anyone, though?

And I don't know if this is just coincidence or not, but the Disney theme park talks have started up again, so who knows.

Talks for Houston or Texas in general? Because if any city in Texas gets a new theme park, especially a Disney theme park, everyone knows it'll go to ... Midland.

Wow! Just today I was looking at a flyer for Astroworld's Scout Day in October. I wasn't really interested in taking the kids (both Scouts) to Astroworld, but now that it's closing, I suppose we'll have to go just to take some photos and say good-bye to a Houston institution. Bummer for all the kids, though...

I wonder what this will do to the proposed Astrodome Convention Center/Hotel redevelopment? Does this actually help the redevelopment? It seems to me that it gives more options for the redevelopment plan, and takes away some parking pressure.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the Astroworld property.

And on a side note, where does Houston's next theme park get built? My guess is down 288 between 610 and Beltway 8. Tons of cheap, available land there, and it's relatively central to Houston. Not to mention the fact that its close to the old Astroworld location; people are used to driving to the South Loop to go to the local theme park.

I think if a theme park tries to go any other direction they would be forced far outside of "central" Houston, thereby reducing the number of people willing to drive out to the park. How many Woodlands residents would look forward to driving out to Sealy to go to a theme park (or vice versa)? How willing are you to drive from Clear Lake up to the Woodlands, or out to Tomball, or out to Richmond/Rosenberg? Cause that's about how far out a theme park would have to go on any highway other than 288.

I wonder what this will do to the proposed Astrodome Convention Center/Hotel redevelopment?  Does this actually help the redevelopment?  It seems to me that it gives more options for the redevelopment plan, and takes away some parking pressure.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the Astroworld property. 

And on a side note, where does Houston's next theme park get built?  My guess is down 288 between 610 and Beltway 8.  Tons of cheap, available land there, and it's relatively central to Houston.  Not to mention the fact that its close to the old Astroworld location; people are used to driving to the South Loop to go to the local theme park. 

I think if a theme park tries to go any other direction they would be forced far outside of "central" Houston, thereby reducing the number of people willing to drive out to the park.  How many Woodlands residents would look forward to driving out to Sealy to go to a theme park (or vice versa)?  How willing are you to drive from Clear Lake up to the Woodlands, or out to Tomball, or out to Richmond/Rosenberg?  Cause that's about how far out a theme park would have to go on any highway other than 288.

I think thats a great place for a new park. or between Houston and Katy. I like the Idea of the 288 one. with all of the tall trees in that area, It could cover up the park making it less of an eyesore.

I didn't know there was an old astroworld up there. Where was it exactly?

This plot could have an ENORMOUS development potential; we may be able to squeeze in a massive mixed use development on this site a-la Dallas Victory. The location is great, as it is relatively close to the TMC, rail etc. The surrounding area is mostly big box stores/car dealerships and such, but, due to its location relative to several key points, it may be worth developing something big here.

In the below image, note the rail line, as well as the large parcels of land located nearby...

areamap4bb.jpg