Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

GREAT! that's just what we need. That'll be just one more thing that Houston will be lacking. I sure hope they build another park. SOON. Because sorry to say but you can't go to any major city and not have a major theme park. Then the city will be like one big Colorado Springs, big and boring!!!

I'm not happy about this at all!!! :(

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT! that's just what we need. That'll be just one more thing that Houston will be lacking. I sure hope they build another park. SOON. Because sorry to say but you can't go to any major city and not have a major theme park. Then the city will be like one big Colorado Springs, big and boring!!!

I'm not happy about this at all!!!  :(

Yeah, like that big, boring cultural wasteland Manhattan.

B)

Mabe its for the best in the longrun that they close. The themepark looked out of place there anyways. The batman ride was just thrown togeather with stuff from a junkyard scattered everywhere. Six Flags never cared about Houston and now we all have proff. Now that land can be transferd into a new urban center and I am pretty sure that between now and sometime in 2006, we will here about a new theme park proposal in the Houston area.

Who would you guys rather see in Houston? A Anheuser-Busch, Universal studios, or Paramount?

It is sad to see all the "Astroworld sucks, I'm glad its closing" sentiment on this board. Yes, Six Flags let Astroworld go. They didn't maintain it and they didn't market it. However, this is bad for Houston.

First of all, 1500+ jobs are lost. Secondly, shouldn't we be asking why, in the 10th largest market in the US, they ignored one of their properties? Why are parks in places like Buffalo, St. Louis, and Oklahoma City remaining open? The real estate value of the property is only half the story. The US just doesn't view Houston as a place that people want to come visit. Disney here??!! Get real. Unfortunately, there will never be another major theme park bulit in Houston unless someone with local interests does it--and that's doubtful as well.

Sad, very sad.

I don't think Astroworld closing is the sign people don't want to visit Houston. You said it yourself, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Oklahoma City still have them. Do you hear people running down the streets saying they can't wait to visit those cities because of their theme park? I didn't even know they had one.

I agree Houston needs one, and hopefully a new one will be built eventually. But if you look at what is needed to have a great park, the current site was just not going to get it done. Too small, bad parking, no attention paid to the park. Look at Cedar Point and Great Adventure New Jersey. Neither is in the middle of the city and both are considered among the best in the country. They have more land and more space. And those parks do attract attention nationally because they are great parks. But you can't expect a sub par park to compete and Astroworld is just not set up for greatness.

What is Sesame St.?  I know it is a show, but is it an amusement park.  And I hope they don't build a disney park near downtown.  This is one of those times LT. AWACS old saying "they should have built this DT" does not apply.  Plus the land would be too expensive, they would just take the smart move and build further out.  Not to mention you need to get these people to sell their homes. 

Unless the Supreme court finds that they aren't as proffitable as disney. ;) j/k

Seasame Street is an amusement park somewhere near Philadelphia its the only park based on Sesame Street in America.....

Here's a new article from MSNBC:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9325841/

This person predicts other Six Flags parks will eventually follow.

I read that article earlier on another site. I wonder what will happen to the one in New Orleans?

I know I'm going to drive myself crazy waiting to here an announcment about a new theme park development in the Houston area.

Like many others I saw this day coming.

I just got back from leave(will eventually post pics) Spent it in the UK. We went to Blackpool for a day. We went to this little amusement park across the street from the seawall there. It was a bit crammed and run down(in some places)but it was great. There were rollercoasters and plenty of other rides for everyone. Along the outside perimeter were restruants and shops where people could shop and eat then cross the street to the seawall. Admission was free into the park (rides weren't) so people could go in and out of the gates as they pleased. There was a tram(light rail) along the seawall, so people could park and then ride or walk along the wall. There was plenty pedestrian traffic.

Now that Astroworld is closing I would like Houston to still have some form of amusement park nearby. If not within the city limits at least in Galveston.

Like many others I saw this day coming.

I just got back from leave(will eventually post pics) Spent it in the UK. We went to Blackpool for a day. We went to this little amusement park across the street from the seawall there. It was a bit crammed and  run down(in some places)but it was great. There were rollercoasters and plenty of other rides for everyone. Along the outside perimeter were restruants and shops where people could shop and eat then cross the street to the seawall. Admission was free into the park (rides weren't) so people could go in and out of the gates as they pleased. There was a tram(light rail) along the seawall, so people could park and then ride or walk along the wall. There was plenty pedestrian traffic. 

Now that Astroworld is closing I would like Houston to still have some form of amusement park nearby. If not within the city limits at least in Galveston.

Was that Blackpool Pleasure Beach? I was there a couple of years ago and thought it was OK.

I'm sure were I was in your shoes, anyplace for leave would be a relief from the tough job you have. Good luck to you!

B)

What city should get the new theme park?

Maybe we should make a poll on this. Possible choices include:

* Galveston

* Houston city limits (anywhere within the Houston city limits)

* League City

* Pearland

* Sugar Land/Missouri City

* Katy

* Northern Harris County (not including Houston city limits)

* Montgomery County

Was that Blackpool Pleasure Beach? I was there a couple of years ago and thought it was OK.

I'm sure were I was in your shoes, anyplace for leave would be a relief from the tough job you have. Good luck to you!

B)

Yeah it was.....the park itself was alright,(like I said the park was a bit run down in some areas). What I liked was the location, heavy pedestrian traffic,the new redone seawall, and the shops.