Sign in to follow this  
trymahjong

Lower Westheimer traffic Corridor Study

Thats really not long from now when we think about it. I know Harvey caused a lot of havoc on the city but this will get done. My bigger concern was page 13. So how can we push to have the sidewalk ordinance amended to apply penalties to property owners for poorly maintained sidewalks? That would solve a lot of issues involving sidewalks in this city. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

A little uturn concerning owners being responsible for sidewalk repair in front of their houses.........

I think that sidewalk repair in Historical  Districts is a complicated issue. It is down right difficult to get home owners to repair those side walk presently. How should that be addressed?  Why not offer a COH tax incentive if Property owners can produce a more walkable  side walk?

That seems like an odd way to phrase it but here is my reasoning: I will use Avondale as an example since many people have contact with the crap sidewalks while visiting our bars and restaurants. First off COH requires it chooses the contractor. A house on my block was charged  &7k for sidewalk replacement ( + he did newdrive way from sidewalk to street).........an eye opener to many here who are retired, on a fixed income with no additional revenue. That  piece of property had no historic trees (Avondale was treeless in 1907 when developed, some trees here are 100 years old) I have personally heard  COH state ( Yup I want sidewalk repair also  and that is the question I usually ask at those pesky town hall meetings:/)that trees should be removed in order to “ properly” repair  sidewalks.  The overwhelming sentiment here in Avondale is to protect our 100 year old tree canopy! There is a cadre of volunteers that check for permits when ever a tree is likely to be cut down by developer- whether a “good” or “trash” tree)So what to do? Everyone wants wheelchairs and strollers to be able to use sidewalks. 

A few owners have “ thought outside the box” One homeowner built a boardwalk of sorts over the roots of the tree. A law office laid charming pavers over the tree roots.

As far as I know, no one specifically asked permission from COH— Nor has COH filed any violations against them. Result nice walkable sidewalks.

so why not a have a City tax incentive, maybe more of those types of fixes might be possible.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Everyone wants wheelchairs and strollers to be able to use sidewalks. 

Heck, I am getting older ..... how about walkers? LOL

I know Chicago has had the same dilemma with wondering who pays for sidewalk repairs. The city of Chicago does offer to pay for half of the repairs as an incentive to keep them in good shape which is said to be a really popular program among property owners. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3