Bamboo Structures

http://www.archdaily.com/797080/adaptable-bamboo-geodesic-domes-win-the-buckminster-fuller-challenge-student-category-2016

People are getting really innovative with the usages, needs and designs of various materials.

This isn't the first time I have ever heard of this, but the above article goes to show that this isn't a passing fad.

Will there come a day when this material is integrated into others?

• 1 month later...

I could see Bamboo utilized in smaller scale structures for sure. But right now, none of the building codes in the US that I'm aware of have any specifications on Bamboo structures. I would imagine the governing body would be the wood council. Their code, "National Design Specification" right now doesnt have any specs that I'm aware of on Bamboo structures. The wood council probably has a vested interest in keeping it that way. So in order for there to be "wider" spread bamboo construction here in the States, Engineers and marketing groups associated with bamboo construction would have to set up their own code specifications and convince regulatory bodies to adopt it. --- Those things take time. 

Even then, once they adopt it, they'd have the monumental task of convincing thousands of structural engineers to learn the material. 

Cool stuff though. 

Archived