Learning to code

I have just started learning how to code, and so far it's really been challenging for me. I know it's just this initial hurdle that I have to get past, and once I get the basic terminology down, it will all become easier and clearer, but it can really get frustrating. Anyone else learning or planning to learn how to code in the near future?

I have learnt all the basics, but I haven't started on my 'advanced' class yet. I'm just taking a break for now. It's pretty interesting and fun once you get the hang of it, and pretty soon I know you'll be having fun writing little snippets of code yourself. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know, the thought keeps coming to me. It's not so much that I want to learn how to code so I can make a website though. I just want to know more about the technical side of the internet, and how much more technical can you get besides coding? (Don't answer that :lol:)

I'm sure it's just like anything else to a point. It can seem overbearing at first, but once you get into it more it gets easier.

Scratch is a good pace to start. It's designed for kids, but it's a drag and drop interface to build events that help you learn how to think. There's a free download.

Python looks pretty good for more advanced work, and there are tons of resources available. Python is free.

You can download free personal versions of Microsoft Visual Studio, which gives you access to VB.net, C#, C++ and other mainstream languages.

For the internet, learning the basics of networking is more important than coding.

• 4 months later...

Take classes or even online classes. On iTunes and roku you can find college classes on programming. You can watch the lectures then do the assignments. They usually have a class website that you can get some of the supporting information. Stanford for one has classes you can see from entry level to more advanced. You won't have access to the professor/instructor/GA but it's a big help. Many universities have them available online. 

Oh wow, never saw this thread. Well, I am actually a software developer (at a real estate corporation) !

I mean, there are so many options for first best languages to learn but I would imagine among the best are likely Java, C#, Python, or Swift, all high-level languages. But they all have their own general applications. Swift is by Apple and caters to Apple development. C# caters to more Windows based development and this is the language I use day to day, though with .Net Core and Xamarin, C# is surprisingly branching out to other environments like Mac and Linux. I haven't done Python before but I've been told it's very easy to get a hold of and plenty of jobs hire for it too.

I think your best bet would be to get a Pluralsight subscription... I know there are plenty of ways to get free trials. Pluralsight has over 5000 different courses and tons of material on anything from software architecture to security to languages to even 3D modeling. New courses drop almost every weekday. Quite honestly it's the best investment I've ever made in that subscription. Also, check out /r/programming on Reddit. It's a really popular subreddit and you get to understand what developers are talking about nowadays and some of the headaches developers face.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. If I can't answer it, I am sure I can find someone who can.

Archived