new bike paths around town

15 hours ago, august948 said:

So, Ellis mentions they got 19 miles done.  Is that just part of the 50 or is that all that the city and county were able to accomplish?

Those 19 miles are just part of the new facilities. There will be an announcement in the next couple weeks (there are 7 days, 6 hours and change left on the Build 50 clock) and I think people will be pleased ;) .

Edited by Alec
  • Like 2

Also:

The Build 50 Challenge is a campaign developed by BikeHouston and issued to the City of Houston, Harris County, Metro, Houston Parks Board, and others to build 50 miles of on and off street bikeways in 12 months (or by May 2019).

Every line on the map under the “Build 50 Challenge” tab is apart of the Build 50 Challenge. As a part of the challenge, these projects need to be completed or under construction by May 1, 2019 to be counted. Most of these projects are being funded by Precinct 1 with the agreement that the city will lose the $10 million commitment if they don’t spend it by the end of the challenge. Watch Mayor Sylvester Turner and County Commissioner Ellis commit to the challenge here.

1 hour ago, Alec said:

Those 19 miles are just part of the new facilities. There will be an announcement in the next couple weeks (there are 7 days, 6 hours and change left on the Build 50 clock) and I think people will be pleased ;) .

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what is announced. 

I would assume we are looking at:

1) Start of construction of a chunk of Third Ward network.

2) Start of construction of Austin Corridor.

3) Announcement of designs of remaining third ward network (Gray/Polk)

4) Start of construction of MLK portion.

5) The closing of the north side of Main Street and conversion to bike/pedestrian usage only a la Las Ramblas in Barcelona (ok maybe not this one, but a man can dream). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Is that truck driving in the bike lane? I saw a car driving on the lanes near McKee

You have to cross the bike lane to turn right onto Houston Ave from White Oak.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 2:48 PM, wilcal said:

Houston @ White Oak got green paint and armadillos Saturday morning, completing the project right there. Looks great!

J1cjAzC.jpg

tMFz5cU.jpg

Does anyone know what entity was behind this project? Any links online?

On 6/5/2019 at 3:21 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Is that truck driving in the bike lane? I saw a car driving on the lanes near McKee

He was actually parked there, but I believe they were part of the crew putting the finishing touches on construction.

22 minutes ago, Triton said:

Does anyone know what entity was behind this project? Any links online?

It's a Memorial Heights Redevelopment Authority (TIRZ) project. A recent update PDF from Jones Carter

They have some coverage on their site here

And they actually link to my blog post about it here 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Wait what? Their putting a bike path next to the redline? Is this...real life? Huge news if true. 

Main in downtown and Midtown is basically a sharrow, but man people can still be assholes despite being stuck on a one lane road going 30mph. 

edit: @wilcal what is this sorcery? 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

10 hours ago, cspwal said:

Where is that?

Sign appears to be at Cavalcade @ AIrline.

18 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Wait what? Their putting a bike path next to the redline? Is this...real life? Huge news if true. 

Main in downtown and Midtown is basically a sharrow, but man people can still be assholes despite being stuck on a one lane road going 30mph. 

edit: @wilcal what is this sorcery? 

Don't get too excited, I remember reading something about this before and along the red line it's sidewalk improvements only. 

I did find this PDF from the a public meeting held in June 2018

The TLDR is this from Airline to Irvington

UUQ3AXW.png

• Like 1

It's Airline and W Cavalcade. I live right next to the intersection. They shrunk the medians by about 2 feet on either side to fit a new bike lane. I'm excited about the new sidewalks!

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Sign appears to be at Cavalcade @ AIrline.

Don't get too excited, I remember reading something about this before and along the red line it's sidewalk improvements only. 

I did find this PDF from the a public meeting held in June 2018

The TLDR is this from Airline to Irvington

UUQ3AXW.png

It is only to Irvington, which makes no sense to me because just another 150 ft away they could actually connect it to the Red Line and the the rest of the W Cavalcade going west needs to be done in the same manner. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

The buffer is great for planting trees, which calm traffic and make walking or cycling more pleasant (that whole shade thing).

Yeah but it also makes for muddier sidewalks and no connection to the street. Post Oak and parts of Westheimer are what Houston sidewalks should be throughout the entire city. imo

23 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's Airline and W Cavalcade. I live right next to the intersection. They shrunk the medians by about 2 feet on either side to fit a new bike lane. I'm excited about the new sidewalks!

It is only to Irvington, which makes no sense to me because just another 150 ft away they could actually connect it to the Red Line and the the rest of the W Cavalcade going west needs to be done in the same manner. 

??  It says it goes from Airline to Irvington.  Going from Airline to Irvington on Cavalcade will necessarily intersect with the Red Line, right at Cavalcade Station.

• Like 1

Looks like Hutchins is getting done really quick:

Not the biggest fan of Hutchin's development, but its 100% better than the old bike lanes like the ones in East downtown/Wesleyan.

And this shows that Cleburne is going to be done sooner than later: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/February-News-and-Updates.html?soid=1118751441959&aid=v8XUCwq_TFI

So from Hermann park you can take either Caroline or La Branch (both have generally slow traffic, easy to be on the road with cars), take a right on Cleburne, take Hutchins to Gray and then access East Downtown via the Columbia Tap. On mostly high-comfort bike lanes. Thats amazing considering where Houston was 10 years ago. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

So from Hermann park you can take either Caroline or La Branch (both have generally slow traffic, easy to be on the road with cars), take a right on Cleburne, take Hutchins to Gray and then access East Downtown via the Columbia Tap. On mostly high-comfort bike lanes. Thats amazing considering where Houston was 10 years ago. 

From Hermann Park you can (for a long time now) go south and access Brays Bayou and get straight to Columbia Tap to get to East downtown. What I am hoping is doable is getting from Hermann Park to northeast Midtown (Bagby and Gray) direct quickly and safely. I've taken Caroline and Austin before, but haven't attempted Gray since they added the bike path. How far south does that extend?