new bike paths around town

4 hours ago, gmac said:

You seem to be unclear on the whole "jogging" concept. Most runners I know (hundreds) really prefer to have long, uninterrupted stretches to run on. Stopping every hundred yards kind of defeats the purpose. But hey, whatever kills downtown, I'm all for it.

Downtown is thriving so...

8 hours ago, gmac said:

You seem to be unclear on the whole "jogging" concept. Most runners I know (hundreds) really prefer to have long, uninterrupted stretches to run on. Stopping every hundred yards kind of defeats the purpose. But hey, whatever kills downtown, I'm all for it.

This is just confusing. Of course joggers prefer uninterrupted stretches, but that doesn't stop them from running on Heights Boulevard, or on city streets in every densely populated city in the world. Beyond that, this really seems like it's intended as an expanded sidewalk/ pedestrian promenade first and a potential jogging path second. It will be more convenient if you live nearby than going down to Rice or up to the bayou, though those are both better in terms of uninterrupted stretches.

As for your last sentence, I have no idea what's going on there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

This is just confusing. Of course joggers prefer uninterrupted stretches, but that doesn't stop them from running on Heights Boulevard, or on city streets in every densely populated city in the world. Beyond that, this really seems like it's intended as an expanded sidewalk/ pedestrian promenade first and a potential jogging path second. It will be more convenient if you live nearby than going down to Rice or up to the bayou, though those are both better in terms of uninterrupted stretches.

As for your last sentence, I have no idea what's going on there.

And that's also why a city has parks. They're intended to supply all residents with an area for full uninterrupted recreation. Idk how this would kill downtown at all. If anything developers would build all along it. This would make Main St Houston's premiere avenue. 

the joggers that run through downtown already have to stop at every light, so what's the difference?

the idea behind a pedestrian corridor is not to satisfy fun runners, it's to make an area more pedestrian friendly, so it seems to be a bit of a weird discussion?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Downtown is thriving so...

Take away the tens of millions of dollars in tax breaks and subsidies, and it likely wouldn't be.

You guys all seem to have hard-ons for downtown to be Manhattan Southwest. I would like to see it fade away into being just another part of Houston.

We will never agree, so I will leave it at that.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, gmac said:

Take away the tens of millions of dollars in tax breaks and subsidies, and it likely wouldn't be.

You guys all seem to have hard-ons for downtown to be Manhattan Southwest. I would like to see it fade away into being just another part of Houston.

We will never agree, so I will leave it at that.

Umm duh it's called investing. You think NY just came to be? Fade away how? The neighborhood was dead for almost 30 years. That wasn't enough for you? If this is such a downer for you then why the hell are you in a forum dedicated to seeing Houston grow? I never call people names but you sir are a moron 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The neighborhood wasn't entirely dead - it had the most office square footage of any neighborhood.  Toyota Center, Minute Maid, and the DLI are all public subsidy programs that helped revitalize it, but there's been a lot of normal public projects in it (improving parks, streets, and transportation) as well as a lot of private investments.  Now we are seeing the start of non-subsidized residential downtown (the apartments north of MMP that were just proposed are almost for sure not part of the DLI), as well as places opening more throughout downtown.  You could argue that spending so much on downtown is bad, but it is the center of the city, and has been since 1837.  Makes sense that if you're going to invest some public money, put it where it's accessible by a lot of people and improves the core of the city.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Umm duh it's called investing. You think NY just came to be? Fade away how? The neighborhood was dead for almost 30 years. That wasn't enough for you? If this is such a downer for you then why the hell are you in a forum dedicated to seeing Houston grow? I never call people names but you sir are a moron 

You're a liar, apparently, since you did just call me a name.

Look, I know you probably are deeply in love with your idea of a perfect "downtown" filled with soaring skyscrapers, etc. It's also possible for others, i.e. me, to prefer development to go in another direction. Architecture isn't just about BIG buildings. I find great joy in a perfectly designed farmhouse and well-thought-out neighborhood of affordable homes.

I wish the city government had spent as much money on revitalizing areas where poor people could still afford to live, but that's never going to happen when developers are the ones keeping the politicians' pockets lined with cash.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, gmac said:

Look, I know you probably are deeply in love with your idea of a perfect "downtown" filled with soaring skyscrapers, etc. It's also possible for others, i.e. me, to prefer development to go in another direction. Architecture isn't just about BIG buildings. I find great joy in a perfectly designed farmhouse and well-thought-out neighborhood of affordable homes.

I wish the city government had spent as much money on revitalizing areas where poor people could still afford to live, but that's never going to happen when developers are the ones keeping the politicians' pockets lined with cash.

Good job keeping up with the times. That kind of stuff has been going on for a while now all over the globe. If you want to protest, do it outside this forum.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, gmac said:

He’s right. I’m rich and live near downtown. I sure appreciate all the tax money making my property worth more. All those incentives go to rich developers who build luxury apartments

for the non-poor people. If we can get more rich people living downtown the property values will

go up more. It’s a win-win for rich people.

Rich people pay almost all the tax though so we deserve to reap more benefits.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Good job keeping up with the times. That kind of stuff has been going on for a while now all over the globe. If you want to protest, do it outside this forum.

Who is protesting? I'm just disagreeing with you, because I think you're wrong.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I made a post in the downtown master development thread about Babgy being redeveloped with off-street two-way dedicated bike lanes. This is a part of the Houston Bike Plan. Construction start summer 2019 completion Summer 2021. : https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32179-theater-district-master-plan/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-582387

I also made a post about a new bikeway that will be created on Patterson running from Buffalo Bayou to White Oak Bayou via Patterson Street. Combination of sharrows/on-street un-protected and on-street protected. Construction start 1Q19 completion 3Q19. Funding source is CIP Funds.  https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/44494-new-bikeway-to-be-created-on-patterson-in-rice-military/?tab=comments#comment-582095

Lyons avenue near Saint Arnold brewery currently having on-street painted bike lanes updated. New curbs in sections. Will head into downtown from there. 

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I find it funny how before the bike plan was approved, many opponents of the plan used the argument about funding and to see the city dedicate funds to see this bike plan happen is really great.

Honestly, it's been a drop in the bucket. The Patterson project is the first project to my knowledge that will actually use the $1.1 million in annual CIP funds that the city has allocated (in 2 years I guess?). Bagby project is mostly TIRZ funds I believe. 

The $10 million from the county and then forcing the city to start the associated projects by April has been genius. God bless Rodney Ellis. With that being said, it sounds like planning is having a hard time of getting it done even in that timeline. 

Real change will take time, but our urban core needs some radical redevelopment. 

13 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Honestly, it's been a drop in the bucket. The Patterson project is the first project to my knowledge that will actually use the $1.1 million in annual CIP funds that the city has allocated (in 2 years I guess?). Bagby project is mostly TIRZ funds I believe. 

The $10 million from the county and then forcing the city to start the associated projects by April has been genius. God bless Rodney Ellis. With that being said, it sounds like planning is having a hard time of getting it done even in that timeline. 

Real change will take time, but our urban core needs some radical redevelopment. 

Oh really? Do you have info on what issues the city is facing?

21 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Oh really? Do you have info on what issues the city is facing?

In terms of implementing the bike plan?

I think that they don't want to commit any extra funding (more than the $1 mil and change annually) and are planning on using the normal schedule of road construction/replacement to implement more bike and pedestrian friendly infrastructure.

Edited by wilcal

New signage for the Houston Bikeways went up near Saint Arnold in the last few days:

https://twitter.com/JamesLLlamas/status/1073211750374408192

This section is being re-striped (to a wider range) and having curbs replaced and no parking signs installed along entire route.

It's currently not illegal to park in a bike lane unless there is a corresponding no parking sign (rolleyes X infinity)

They've made big strides with this project in the last few weeks. They're going to be doing Lyons from Jensen all of the way to McKee. Hardy and McKee will eventually have dedicated bike infrastructure to head into downtown. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, august948 said:

So, Ellis mentions they got 19 miles done.  Is that just part of the 50 or is that all that the city and county were able to accomplish?

That’s a good question. Maybe he meant that out of the 50 miles 19 are finished, not that the rest won’t be done.