new bike paths around town

As the bike plan gets adopted and starts gaining steam, it will be good to have a place where we can note what streets have legitimate bike paths (some sort of buffer between car paths and bicycle paths). Even without the bike plan in effect, there are new bike paths being added all the time.

There's an extension of the Columbia Tap Trail on Walker from Dowling to Hutchins. Both directions of cycling are on the same side of the road.

On Calhoun from OST to Brayes bayou there's a lane on each side of the road for cyclists.

Edited by samagon

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, samagon said:

I didn't take photos, but on Polk from ADLA to St Emanuel they have removed a westbound traffic lane, and are marking for a painted bike lane.

Now they need to provide a way to get from Lamar bike lane to this new bike lane.

This is great!  If they can now connect to the trails already in EaDo (yes, I typed it) then someone could ride from (for instance) Shepherd drive to Herman park all on bike trails, correct? Or, Herman to the heights?

2 hours ago, samagon said:

indeed, with the polk street bike path they will double the amount of on street comfort bike paths this city has! 

;)

I get the sarcasm. I'm talking about the trail connections as well. I think things are starting to pick up steam with Houstonians using their bikes to get around. It's becoming common place inside the loop. 

• 3 months later...

I took my bike with big tires out this past weekend, and decided instead of taking the columbia tap all the way around to the soccer stadium and around the north side of the GRB to get through downtown that I would turn on polk and take the new bike lane into town. 

I'm glad I decided to do it on my 29er rather than my road bike, or my fixed. While slapping down a coat of paint, and having the lane separators in place is a step up from what it was. this is all they did, east of 59 the westbound lane was a sad state. I weep for anyone attempting to use this 'comfort bike lane' with skinny tires.

I guess they didn't want to spend that much money considering if 45 is realigned to this side of downtown, polk won't even be there as a freeway cross street. so this bike path is planned as a short term kind of thing.

once you get past 59 though, there is a complete solution for getting safely from one side of downtown to the other on a bike. great start.

Edited by samagon

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I didn't want to make a new topic. The county commissioner, the mayor, Metro, Houston Parks and Rec and a few other groups announced today that in the next 12 months, starting today the city will add 50 miles of high comfort bike lanes on city streets. 50 MILES!!!

Do you have any links or a map of these proposed bike lanes?

41 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Do you have any links or a map of these proposed bike lanes?

No sorry, it was just an announcement today I watched on Facebook so I don't have any further details. BUT the county commissioner was very clear that they are going to work, and I quote, "feverishly" to get this done in a year and it will all be done by independent contractors. I was impressed by the commissioner because he practices what he preaches. He rides his bike everywhere. What I found a bit ironic, is with all the naysayers regarding the approved bike plan a few months back, they are using that as a guide for this. Those critics questioned everything about the plan, mostly funding but they can't say a damn thing now.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2018/04/16/279564/houston-wants-to-build-50-miles-of-new-bike-lanes/

The City of Houston plans to add 50 miles of bike lanes over the next year.

Harris County Precinct 1 Commissioner Rodney Ellis and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner made the announcement on Monday, next to the Lamar Street bike lane close to City Hall.

Ellis is pledging $10 million of Precinct 1 funds to be used by the City for the project within one year. That is in addition to $5.5 million from the City itself.

Houston has to compete with cities like New York and San Francisco, Ellis said.

“Great cities more and more defined by the ability to have multi-modal means of transportation,” he said. “And that includes walking and riding bikes.”

The offer is “use it or lose it” – that is, if the Houston City Council doesn’t move forward on the projects within the next 12 months, the money will be used for other purposes.

Houston planning director Patrick Walsh said the hope is to get additional partners on board to expand the project beyond Harris County Precinct 1.

Ellis also recently teamed up with the City to improve streets near the University of Houston and Texas Southern University.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I’ve always thought the entire stretch of Main, from Buffalo Bayou to Wheeler, should be a pedestrian thoroughfare. As ongoing development has shown, there’s a lot of potential along this corridor. Linking all of this together, from the bars of 300 block all the way to Mid Main and the upcoming Innovation District could further stimulate this area, especially with the multifamily developments occurring in South Downtown & Midtown. And furthermore, while there’s an East-West bike lane on Lamar, there’s an absence of a North-South bike lane through Downtown Houston. Option A could be the best way to fulfill that need. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, gmac said:

Main as a pedestrian/jogger/biker path, exclusively? Ooooooookay. Only 30 or so cross streets to navigate. That's gonna be one helluva joggus interruptus.

You mean, like it is for drivers now? And  it’s not like the Lamar bike lane doesn’t have to deal with Downtown cross streets either. The roadway lanes on Main are barely being used for vehicular traffic. With all the multifamily developments going up along the corridor, repurposing Main as a pedestrian/bike route might make more sense and better serve the area than what’s currently there. 

Edited by tigereye

2 hours ago, tigereye said:

You mean, like it is for drivers now? And  it’s not like the Lamar bike lane doesn’t have to deal with Downtown cross streets either. The roadway lanes on Main are barely being used for vehicular traffic. With all the multifamily developments going up along the corridor, repurposing Main as a pedestrian/bike route might make more sense and better serve the area than what’s currently there. 

You seem to be unclear on the whole "jogging" concept. Most runners I know (hundreds) really prefer to have long, uninterrupted stretches to run on. Stopping every hundred yards kind of defeats the purpose. But hey, whatever kills downtown, I'm all for it.

• Confused 1