Linux anyone?

I was advised to start using the Linux operating system rather than my current Windows and  I would like to find out more about how it works. Are there any other Linux system users here? What is the best way to learn about this system and implement it? 

Thanks for the reply. I've heard a thing or two about Ubuntu. I guess it's one of the more popular distros. I will certainly make a point of checking it out and see if it might improve my laptop experience for work and online gaming. 

You may want to check out Linux Mint as well as Ubuntu. Since you mentioned it, you should be aware that gaming is not one of Linux's strong points. 

Lots of opinions out there regarding distros - here's a recent piece among many others:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/best-linux-distro-five-we-recommend-1090058

One of the good things about Linux is that many distros can be run from a bootable CD or flash drive, so it's really easy to try them out without having to perform an OS install on your computer. 

If you really want to learn it (and are worried about messing something up), you can buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and practice loading and configuring it. For $40 you'll have a tiny Linux computer that can do a lot of cool things.

8 hours ago, Cookiie said:

That raspberry PI3 gismo seems like something that might help me out a lot. I'm also trying to learn more about Linux and how to make the transition from Windows to Linux operating system. Thanks for sharing that info.

The Pi requires you to assemble it as well... so it's not a "ready to go" computer. You'll screw the motherboard into a tiny case, put the SD card in, and load the OS. It's a fun little project just know what you're buying.

On 10/23/2016 at 10:22 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

There are a lot of different "flavors" of Unix available (I'm assuming you are talking for PC use - not corporate/server).....the only one I am familiar with is Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com)

Check out their website and you can learn about it.

Unix is not Linux. Borrowed concepts but entirely it's own thing. Example: Linux cannot lock the doors on the Raptors.

On 11/1/2016 at 8:40 PM, Esther said:

I'm a totally tech-challenged noob to Linux and when you start getting all techy like that then you lose me. I know I'll learn all the technical jargon soon enough, but it's very frustrating in the beginning. 

Try Linux Mint. It's by far the most Windows-like Linux currently (as far as it's desktop graphic/user interface).

Archived