Preston Retail Square

Mab

Interesting. I always thought this little parking lot should get something put there. That would be a nice upstairs restaraunt/bar/patio concept.

Hope this gets built..... but where will they then put the Houston Inspired mural???

3 hours ago, Nole23 said:

Interesting. I always thought this little parking lot should get something put there. That would be a nice upstairs restaraunt/bar/patio concept.

Hope this gets built..... but where will they then put the Houston Inspired mural???

On the big white wall of the Marriot Marquis!

On 10/22/2016 at 8:40 AM, Nole23 said:

It looks like they want to permanently incorporate it into the building

I thought nothing would ever get built here, just because of the small size and the historic district.  Glad to be wrong

THERE YA GO! INFILL!

I used to think that the downtown renewal will be fully realized when three parking lots have disappeared: Texas/Main/Capitol/Fannin, Preston/Travis/Prairie/Milam, and Main/Preston/Fannin/Prairie. By that mark, we're about halfway there. But another measure of success is when these little one-off parking lots start disappearing and getting replaced with retail. That shows that, finally, retail is considered more profitable than parking, that pedestrians are a more vital economic element than parked cars.

Kennedy Corner lot - you're next.

59 minutes ago, bobruss said:

No its next to Trebeards and the Majestic rental hall

Read the quote in the comment that my comment was in answer to. It is not the property that is the subject of this thread, but a different property that I am predicting/hoping will be next to go.

5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Read the quote in the comment that my comment was in answer to. It is not the property that is the subject of this thread, but a different property that I am predicting/hoping will be next to go.

Sorry I was confused. 

9 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I'm curious though. Is the lot next to La Carafe and the lot next to Trebeards the same size?

Treebeard's is a bit bigger. The Kennedy Corner lot doesn't seem large enough to use for parking, and appears to be just fenced off. It is small, but it is bigger than La Carafe. It will have to get to the point where rent for such a small space can justify construction costs and entrepreneurial profit (15-25%). Probably profit will have to be on the high side since the money involved is so small. Houston developers aren't really in the business of doing small.

There's also that restaurant patio with the clock tower catty-cornered from this lot that would be a good retail space once land value gets to be too high for a patio. The real opportunity though is the northeast corner of this intersection, where you have the Hotel Icon garage and the mosque parking lot, totaling half a block. Would be a great place for a highrise, with the Icon parking negotiated into a new highrise garage. But the mosque might be a tough negotiator.

Interesting little project. With Aris and MST nearby, they should have some steady customers that want something other than CVS.

What's the status of the red brick building on this block that faces Main?  After Mia Bella left, I haven't seen anyone going in or out of the place.

• The title was changed to Preston Retail Square

Archived