Mab

403 West Gray

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

A blurb about Braun's redevelopment of 403 W Gray in Houston Chronicle last month:

The company also is developing plans for a new 4,300-square-foot retail center next to the former Byzantio restaurant at 403 W. Gray. A Braun Enterprises partnership bought the building and an adjacent parcel from the family that owned the restaurant.

It has leased the former Byzantio space for a pub to be called Ship & Shield, from the owners of Kelvin Arms in Rice Village.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Deal-of-the-Week-Even-in-Houston-old-can-become-10594701.php?t=933286c8cd438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

From the More Coming to Midtown thread:

On 10/17/2016 at 8:35 AM, terra002 said:

Also noticed a new sign up at Byzantio. Its called Ship and Shield. It will be a viking themed restaurant and bar... 

More about Ship & Shield at 403 W Gray (next door to the retail building going up in the lot next door) from CultureMap:

Although many new restaurants fit into the general designation of New American — that is, they serve regionally-inspired dishes made with locally-sourced ingredients — some new restaurants come from a different perspective. A restaurant that’s set to open on the border of Midtown and Montrose wants to give diners something totally different: a taste of the 10th century.

Meet Ship & Shield. Located in former home of Byzantio, Ship & Shield takes its inspiration from Viking cuisine and culture. Table tops are decorated to look like Viking shields, and the bar is a Viking ship.

Owner Hans Gerner is the Houston hospitality industry veteran who established Hans’ Bier Haus and currently owns popular Scottish pub The Kelvin Arms in Rice Village. Gerner tells CultureMap that, having already mined the German side of his heritage to open Hans’, he wanted to represent the Norwegian side for his next project.

“Norwegian, I was thinking, what can I do with that? The TV show Vikings, I was really into the first couple seasons, and it just clicked. I could really do something with that,” Gerner says.

After doing some research to confirm that he had developed an original idea for a restaurant — his searches mostly turned up places in Scandinavia and bars devoted to the Minnesota Vikings — Gerner began the search for the right spot. He found it in the space on West Gray that will soon be a neighbor to a new, 4,300-square foot retail center from local developer Braun Enterprises.

Gerner envisions Ship & Shield as an intimate, candlelit venue where friends can gather over shared meals centered around wild game. Two, 10-person feast tables will be at the heart of the experience. Diners will have options like a caribou rib rack, a bone-in turkey breast, and a whole tenderloin. On the side, metal kettles holding dishes like sauteed cabbage with dried cranberries and lamb bacon.

Wild boar, venison, and elk will also have places on the menu. Seafood options will be Norwegian-style fish like trout and salmon. At lunch, look for items like a bison burgers and wild boar sandwiches. Gerner has even developed some Viking-inspired bar snacks.

“We have a take on a Scottish egg,” he says. “We wrap a hard-boiled egg in smoked salmon, bread it, and fry it. It’s called the Odin’s eye.”

Serving ware and cutlery will have a rustic look. A place setting on one of the tables featured a two-tong fork. Beverage options will include mead, Icelandic wine, and Mikkeller beer from Denmark.

Thankfully, Gerner has opted not to go full Medieval Times with Ship & Shield. Servers will wear normal uniforms instead of Viking-inspired tunics, and the bar has a couple of TVs to allow patrons to keep track of their favorite teams.

People like to complain every time another steakhouse or burger joint opens. With Ship & Shield, Houstonians are being given the chance to support something totally different. Given Gerner’s track record of success, maybe the time is right for such an unexpected option.   

MigzRKN.jpg

8Jbhvys.jpg

s8GbO9Q.jpg

OvfZ5hu.jpg

• Like 1

From Houston Business Journal today:

The development company [Braun Enterprises], which has become well-known for acquiring older Heights-area properties and flipping them into viable retail developments, is building a 4,316-square-foot retail property at 311 West Gray Street near Midtown, Braun's Zach Wolf told the Houston Business Journal. Braun's already leased the property to three tenants – Feather & Fur Animal Hospital, Asian Stir Fry and Ship & Shield, a Viking-themed bar and pub currently at 403 West Gray St.

...Asian Stir Fry is the same restaurant group behind Viet's Express at 8057 Kirby Drive in the Texas Medical Center.

The development at 311 West Gray Street should deliver in six to eight months, Wolf said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/08/17/exclusive-braun-beefs-up-portfolio-with-midtown.html

There's a vacancy here now. Ship & Shield has closed at 403 W Gray.

From Facebook:

Due to the lack of revenue as a result of Hurricane Harvey, Ship & Shield has had to close its doors.

Thank you so much for your patronage and your kind reviews (95% of which were 5 stars!)

We gave it our best shot and I’m sure most people understand the difficulty of operating and maintaining a successful restaurant—I truly believed in the concept but circumstances just did not fall our way. I’m sorry to those of you that loved and believed in the theme as much as I did…perhaps someday we can try again!

https://www.facebook.com/shipandshield/posts/530815370607553

mollusk    1,678

Going back to one of the earlier posts, the owner mentioned doing some research and only finding Viking restaurants in Norway or devoted to the Minnesota football team.   Perhaps there is a reason for that... maybe one similar to why you can get Mexican food (or something called Mexican food) all over the country, but Canadian restaurants are rarely if ever found outside Canada.

mkultra25    605
4 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Going back to one of the earlier posts, the owner mentioned doing some research and only finding Viking restaurants in Norway or devoted to the Minnesota football team.   Perhaps there is a reason for that... maybe one similar to why you can get Mexican food (or something called Mexican food) all over the country, but Canadian restaurants are rarely if ever found outside Canada.

There's only so much you can do with maple syrup and poutine.

• Haha 2

ADCS    343

Went there a couple of times. Biggest issue was that the price points were a bit high for what you were getting. Paying $40-$60 a person for an entree and a drink or two is a bit excessive when you're experimenting with a place.

Purdueenginerd    767
On 12/8/2017 at 2:30 PM, mkultra25 said:

There's only so much you can do with maple syrup and poutine.

I visited Montreal in November. Thats how I felt about the food. How many Poutine places can I visit in a weekend? Good, but the rest of the culinary experience was either familiar with american cuisine or an influx of french quisine. Off-topic, I know... but Montreal is a good city to visit. 

• Like 1

Nate99    6,336

Customers should have been issued swords and told to plunder their food from the Asian place next door.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 3:13 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

There's a vacancy here now. Ship & Shield has closed at 403 W Gray.

From Facebook:

Due to the lack of revenue as a result of Hurricane Harvey, Ship & Shield has had to close its doors.

Thank you so much for your patronage and your kind reviews (95% of which were 5 stars!)

We gave it our best shot and I’m sure most people understand the difficulty of operating and maintaining a successful restaurant—I truly believed in the concept but circumstances just did not fall our way. I’m sorry to those of you that loved and believed in the theme as much as I did…perhaps someday we can try again!

https://www.facebook.com/shipandshield/posts/530815370607553

Vacancy filled.

From CultureMap:

The owners of Cedars Bakery will open a new restaurant in the space at 403 W. Gray that was formerly Byzantio and briefly Viking-themed restaurant Ship & Shield. Dubbed Cedars Tapas Bar, the new restaurant will serve a variety of Mediterranean-inspired small plates for lunch, brunch, and dinner.

Owner Sam Assi tells CultureMap that his annual trips to Lebanon inspired the new concept, which he intends to be a step up in terms of quality and presentation from the mostly cafeteria-style Mediterranean restaurants that have become popular across the city. The concept expands on the reputation Cedars has built over 20 years for its freshly baked pita bread and Lebanese dishes.

“Basically, [we want] to make it more like a tapas place in terms of high quality food and the presentation of food,” Assi says. “I want the place to be somewhere people can hang out with a couple friends and enjoy their time, basically.”

While the menu is still a work in progress, Assi says it will offer dishes influenced by Lebanese, Greek, Turkish, and even Spanish cuisine. He says he’s specifically excited about mini-lamb chops that he thinks will be a signature item.

Other plans include a creating a lounge atmosphere with a DJ on Friday and Saturday nights and a champagne brunch with an all-day happy hour on Sundays. The restaurant will offer a full range of beer, wine, and spirits.

Local developer Braun Enterprises leased the building to Cedars, which will share parking with its development next door that includes a veterinary clinic and a quick serve Vietnamese restaurant. Leasing director Zach Wolf tells CultureMap that they’re looking forward to working with the Assi family.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-28-18-cedars-tapas-bar-montrose-restaurant-sam-assi-braun-enterprises/

skwatra    371

new building at 311 W Gray is mostly complete. Saw a permit on the west part with "Me'lange Restaurant" on it. Doesn't sound like an Asian Stir Fry as the site plan said. No signs on the east side for the pet hospital. Looks like they are just getting ready for build-out of the interior.