Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The Astros must have a very good deal now (relative to other teams around the league).  Otherwise, why extend so early and lose the optionality in the future?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

The Astros must have a very good deal now (relative to other teams around the league).  Otherwise, why extend so early and lose the optionality in the future?

 

 

 

One reason: Construction prices aren’t getting any cheaper. Considering the locations and ballpark designs (roof included), $250 million paid to construct Minute Maid in 97-00 looks like a bargain compared to the 1 billion dollar price tag Arlington will be footing for Globe Life Field. 

 

In addition to his restaurants and land owning nearby (block 161), Crane and the Astros say they have more renovations planned for Minute Maid Park.

 

Jim Crane on potential future changes to Minute Maid Park

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1016409147510853632?s=21

 

Reid Ryan: "Our goal is every single year we try to add something substantial to the Minute Maid Park experience."

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1016420968863076353?s=21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 8:00 PM, tigereye said:

 

I believe Crane’s end game is similar to the deal the Rockies just got. As part of a deal to extend their Coors Field lease for 30 years, they’ll get to develop a block across the street with a team HOF, restaurant, retail, entertainment & residential components. It’s similar to what the Cardinals have done with Ballpark Village, the Braves with The Battery, and what the Rangers will be doing with Texas Live. 

 

Note: The Rockies will be doing this all on one city block, which is similar in size to block 161 that Crane has here. 

 

 

 

Buried in the Chronicle’s article is the first mention of a ballpark village in downtown. The reroute is brought up but Crane already owns property on block 161.

 

Quote

Rerouting U.S. 59 and Interstate 45 below grade on the stadium's southwest side could open areas for a possible ballpark village, Ryan indicated.

 

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-plans-future-improvements-Minute-Maid-Park-13061261.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in 50 years if/when they have to tear down and rebuild, most likely there won’t be available land. I wonder what they’ll do, where they’ll go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lockmat said:

So in 50 years if/when they have to tear down and rebuild, most likely there won’t be available land. I wonder what they’ll do, where they’ll go.

We don’t have to tear down and rebuild... look at Fenway and Wrigley. I’m hoping Minute Maid becomes like those historic stadiums one day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pablog said:

We don’t have to tear down and rebuild... look at Fenway and Wrigley. I’m hoping Minute Maid becomes like those historic stadiums one day. 

 

I hope you’re right. Primarily because I don’t want tax payers paying for another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lockmat said:

So in 50 years if/when they have to tear down and rebuild, most likely there won’t be available land. I wonder what they’ll do, where they’ll go.

 

No where. As previously stated, keep Minute Maid and renovate. Or if a new ballpark is a must, since there might not be a better site available by then, demolish MMP and build a new ballpark on the same site. (which would require the Astros playing elsewhere during construction. Tottenham & Chelsea are utilizing these methods to create their new stadiums on the same site.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First let me say I love the Astros and Minute Maid Park. With that said, if they could demolish Yankee stadium they can demolish anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 0:01 AM, pablog said:

We don’t have to tear down and rebuild... look at Fenway and Wrigley. I’m hoping Minute Maid becomes like those historic stadiums one day. 

 

I am by no means a baseball stadium expert, but I've been to a few.

 

MMP has a feel when you walk through the doors (especially onto the concourse behind left field). It's a hum, and it feels like baseball. I got that feel at Wrigley, I got that feel at a few other parks I've been to. The Astrodome never had that. 

 

It doesn't feel like a 20 year old stadium, and I hope it continues to feel like baseball.

 

On 7/10/2018 at 0:16 AM, lockmat said:

 

I hope you’re right. Primarily because I don’t want tax payers paying for another one.

 

I too would be quite happy to not have to pay for another stadium.

 

That being said, there is an amount of money that these teams bring into the city. 

 

traveling fans bring money and pay taxes.

the stadium naming rights is worth millions (Minute Maid paid $100 million for their 20 year deal when Enron flaked).

 

not to mention civic recognition. I wonder how many people decided to move to a new town because of what they saw of the town through one of the sporting events they attended? 

 

I don't like it, and I will grumble, but the economics make sense. So long as the team doesn't get you to pay for upgrades on the current stadium, then leaves 5 years later because they really wanted a new stadium. - I still don't understand why anyone who lives in Houston would ever cheer for the Titans.

Edited by samagon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, samagon said:

I still don't understand why anyone who lives in Houston would ever cheer for the Titans.

 

Is that really a thing? Given how widely despised Bud Adams was for uprooting the Oilers and decamping to Tennessee, I can't imagine any real Houstonian doing anything other than spitting whenever they speak of the Titans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 3:58 PM, mkultra25 said:

 

Is that really a thing? Given how widely despised Bud Adams was for uprooting the Oilers and decamping to Tennessee, I can't imagine any real Houstonian doing anything other than spitting whenever they speak of the Titans. 

it was, I think most fans are now texans fans.

 

I had friends who cheered for the titans, their explanation was that the players were still oilers. It was a silly excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, samagon said:

it was, I think most fans are now texans fans.

 

I had friends who cheered for the titans, their explanation was that the players were still oilers. It was a silly excuse.

 

I rooted for the Titans until we have got the Texans, but if I'm honest, there's still a tiny piece of my heart that is still with the Titans, very tiny. I was a kid when they moved and Bud Adams didn't mean anything to me, I was a fan of the team. If you're best friend moves to another city do you stop being their friend? 'course not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lockmat said:

 

I rooted for the Titans until we have got the Texans, but if I'm honest, there's still a tiny piece of my heart that is still with the Titans, very tiny. I was a kid when they moved and Bud Adams didn't mean anything to me, I was a fan of the team. If you're best friend moves to another city do you stop being their friend? 'course not.

 

I think that is the difference. I was not an adult, I was only barely out of high school. 

 

what I saw was the guy threw a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted and took his ball to a different town. Do I want to maintain that relationship? Nah.

 

what I think most adults saw was that not only did he throw a tantrum, but he had just held the city hostage to make major improvements to his stadium that didn't seem to benefit anyone else. when they said no, he decided to take his ball to another town. I guess some people were okay maintaining that relationship though.

 

anyway, 'stros moving on to the next series :) woowoo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samagon said:

 

I think that is the difference. I was not an adult, I was only barely out of high school. 

 

what I saw was the guy threw a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted and took his ball to a different town. Do I want to maintain that relationship? Nah.

 

what I think most adults saw was that not only did he throw a tantrum, but he had just held the city hostage to make major improvements to his stadium that didn't seem to benefit anyone else. when they said no, he decided to take his ball to another town. I guess some people were okay maintaining that relationship though.

 

anyway, 'stros moving on to the next series :) woowoo!

 

Houston: Bud Adams moves the Oilers to Tennessee, and a lot of people remain fans.

 

Baltimore: Bob Irsay moves the Colts to Indianapolis, and, well, people are still steamed many years after the fact.

 

irsay.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can't find anything to link yet, but Channel 13 just announced the Astros have bought the land adjacent to Minute Maid park (where the blue house and train are currently located) for $17 million.  They didn't say what is was going to be used for - it seemed like their teleprompter went off or something as they kind of babbled the last few comments - they did mention Hilton Americas was involved

 

New topic here:  

 

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate to get the opportunity to watch my second "NO HITTER" this year. Love the Astros.

BTBJ06B.png

EqMRImG.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...