Christ Church Cathedral At 1117 Texas Ave.

Sunstar

Funny, that lot is out my window and I never saw it. Yes, Christ Church is building a combination parking garage and office space. Price tag said to be about $18 million. No idea if there will be any retail space, but they did push out a few businesses, including Palace Boot Shop, in order to clear the lot for building.

• 1 year later...
A recent example is the Christ Church Cathedral addition on Texas. It is a great example of for-profit architecture that exceeds long-term design, style and cost-effectiveness for a non-profit.

My mother-in-law was here 2 weeks ago and we walked from Main down Texas to MMP. Now she hasn't been exposed to alot of design in her 67 years outside of Milam and Hemphill but I was taken aback when she stopped midway in the block and looked up at the trellis. Then she started to explain to us how pleasant it was to walk under this shaded trellis and how beautiful yet inexpensive it must have been to contruct in the overall scheme of the design Then she commented on the structure and it's windows and how energy efficient it must be and how great it was that the church had the buisness and esthetic sense to choose a beautiful and lasting yet cost effective design that included parking, office and green space.

So yes, Velvet: you are correct. Houston is a captive of mediocre design. It's a quick-fix for the shortsighted which has unfortunatly become the hallmark for developers/investors/architects. It seems the days of long-term planning that not only benefits the developer but the public which he/she relys on have past.

Yeah but the church is not a good example, the pope approved it because it was mediocre, as they desire them to be all over the country. There was a great explination of this on the thread for the cathedral.

Yeah but the church is not a good example, the pope approved it because it was mediocre, as they desire them to be all over the country. There was a great explination of this on the thread for the cathedral.

That's the first I've heard of a church policy that cathedrals should be "mediocre."

:huh:

Agreed. To me, 5 Houston Center looks like a giant pair of French doors.

5HoustonCenter-002.jpg

Brilliant.

Wrong denomination, wrong location, wrong "explination," Lucy. :P

Wrong denomination, wrong location, wrong "explination," Lucy. :P

I know that the church that was brought up was not the one he meant, but it's clear that he was talking about the Catholic Church, and I don't see where he's coming from. Tell me what institution has done more for Western architecture than the Catholic Church.

By the way, that's not an architectural committee, that's Bishop Fiorenza and Pope John Paul II. I guess the late pontiff was too busy trying to bring peace to nations and understanding to the religions of the world to improve the design of Houston's co-cathedral so the local architecture camp could be more pleased.

Could you imagine what would happen if people on here were ridiculing the design of a mosque or a Buddhist temple, and putting quotes in the mouths of the leaders of their respective faiths? They would probably be banned in a heartbeat.

It's the message of today's multicultural world... be tolerant and respectful of all religions, EXCEPT Christianity.

Could you imagine what would happen if people on here were ridiculing the design of a mosque or a Buddhist temple, and putting quotes in the mouths of the leaders of their respective faiths? They would probably be banned in a heartbeat.

It's the message of today's multicultural world... be tolerant and respectful of all religions, EXCEPT Christianity.

As many on here like to say...BINGO

That's actually funny. The Caption comment that is, which didn't for some reason post.

Edited by lockmat

Tell me what institution has done more for Western architecture than the Catholic Church.

Amen.

I guess the late pontiff was too busy trying to bring peace to nations and understanding to the religions of the world to improve the design of Houston's co-cathedral so the local architecture camp could be more pleased.

Amen

And for those who think the church wants mediocre buildings, please see the official guidelines from the US Conference of Bishops:

http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/livingstones.shtml#chapteroneb

Churches, therefore, must be places "suited to sacred celebrations," "dignified," and beautiful. Their suitability for worship is determined by their ability through the architectural design of space and the application of artistic gifts to embody God's initiative and the community's faithful response. Church buildings and the religious artworks that beautify them are forms of worship themselves and both inspire and reflect the prayer of the community as well as the inner life of grace.

The church building is a sign and reminder of the immanence and transcendence of God

hmmm......so you agree with him but think the caption is funny? :wacko:

I agree with him that in general, he's correct. I however, am not easily offended. The comment was harmless and nothing against Christianity was said. So, it's funny :)

Well, since the editor doesn't have a ban on death threats, I can't imagine him having a problem with ridiculing any building of any kind.

Well, since the editor doesn't have a ban on death threats, I can't imagine him having a problem with ridiculing any building of any kind.

nice...

:angry2: Geez I say the wrong church and all of a sudden that translates into "The Catholic religion has done NOTHING for architecture"!

I didn't know we had so many old washer women on here.

nice...

:angry2: Geez I say the wrong church and all of a sudden that translates into "The Catholic religion has done NOTHING for architecture"!

I didn't know we had so many old washer women on here.

You said the Catholic Church desires churches to be mediocre all over the country. All I said to you was that that was the first I had heard of such a policy. I guess that makes me an old washer woman. :blink:

Could you imagine what would happen if people on here were ridiculing the design of a co-Cathedral?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...hp?showtopic=36 post #22

Another atheist here. I'm equally cynical about all religions, mystic beliefs, and superstitions. I don't single out christianity any more than it deserves for being the dominant form of magical thinking in this country. :)

Edited by Ian Rees

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Christ Church Cathedral At 1117 Texas Ave.