Sign in to follow this  
jbird

remembering city of bellaire

my parents moved into new house across from Feld Park in 1947....Gordan Elementary was still a rice field...when it opened

u had to walk along a board walk to keep dry after a rain. Mom could look out kitchen window..toward Bellaire Blvd and see the

buses...for us boys, riding bikes to Teas Nursery was an adventure...like going out to the country. This was baby boom time so on our 

one block street there must have been at least 75 kids....easy to get up several baseball or football teams to play at Feld Park or to

organize "gangs" for building Christmas tree forts.....lots of good memories of old Bellaire.....lucky enough to raise a couple of kids

later on in what was "The City of Homes"............

• Like 1

Thanks for posting those two images.  I love looking at old images like those.  It seems to me that one of those Images (the first) is older than the second, just from the loom of the cars?  I'm sure that the folks that know all about vintage cars will pipe in....

The newest cars in the top one are '47 or '48 (kinda hard to tell on either of them) - a Dodge or DeSoto at the front left, and a Buick Sedanette on the right.  The bottom picture is likely from late '57 or very early '58 - there are a couple '57 Chevies and a '57 Ford, and the monster with the strange black roof profile is a '58 Lincoln. 

The first picture in on Cedar street looking east toward Rice. the building on the far left across the street from the Conoco sign is still standing today.

The second picture if the Bellaire circle Shopping Center at 5300-5317Bissonnet

• Like 1

Some more Bellaire pictures. The first picture is the A&P on Bissonnet between Rice and Cedar About where the HEB is now located. The second is Madding's Drug store at the Bellaire Triangle.

Bellaire A&P store.jpg

Bellaire triangle Maddings Drugs.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/9/2016 at 4:43 PM, Michelle C said:

I have some pictures of old Bellaire from the 50's.

Bellaire Cedar street looking east toward Rice.jpg

Bellaire Circle Shopping Center 5300-5317 Bissonnet.jpg

I believe you could fit a Prius in the trunks of some of those cars in the second picture.  Ahh... the good old days.  :P

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 8:22 PM, spiderroller said:

Wow.  I had no idea there was any other Valians location beyond the one on Main.

There was also on on Shepard Dr. just south of I believe Alabama.

Looking for someone to refresh my memory. Im trying to remember a cafeteria that was in the Bellaire Shopping Center on Bellaire Blvd. It was a family name, not Luby's Wyatt's or Piccadilly..........I want to say it started with an 'S'....or possibly an 'A'....

1 hour ago, kajunteddy said:

Looking for someone to refresh my memory. Im trying to remember a cafeteria that was in the Bellaire Shopping Center on Bellaire Blvd. It was a family name, not Luby's Wyatt's or Piccadilly..........I want to say it started with an 'S'....or possibly an 'A'....

Allbritton's. They were a local, family-owned cafeteria that had several locations in Houston, including the one you remember at 3835 Bellaire Blvd. The last remaining one was on Waugh and closed in 1996. 

More info from a Chron article at the top of this page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30502755@N06/