Leveling the foundation of a townhouse

Monday

My townhome is the 4th home in a row of 8. It was built in 1968. I believe the foundation needs re-leveling (doors starting to stick, small cracks in wall, etc.) Is this a difficult process due to not being a "single" home? About what kind of cost should I expect? My home is two story approx. 1800 sq ft. 

• 1 month later...

Is it a common slab/attached townhouse? If so, you're in for some work. I used to own an end townhouse and our inspector warned us that to ever level the foundation if issues occurred... all neighbors should be involved. Basically, raising one end can disrupt the other end 4 homes away... and everyone in between is along for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like it could be a complicated process. I think your first step should be finding out if it is a shared attachment so that you know if you can do the job alone or you need to consult with your neighbors before moving forward.

On 9/19/2016 at 2:41 PM, Monday said:

My townhome is the 4th home in a row of 8. It was built in 1968. I believe the foundation needs re-leveling (doors starting to stick, small cracks in wall, etc.) Is this a difficult process due to not being a "single" home? About what kind of cost should I expect? My home is two story approx. 1800 sq ft. 

If it's a town-home in a row of 8 then  I imagine they are all physically connected. That being the case, they all have the same foundation. That being the case, there is no leveling of the foundation under your home without effecting all the others. Especially if you're smack dab in the middle.

Injecting new concrete into the old is the only thing I can think of. There is a science to determining where and how much to inject, but I really don't know if that is applicable to your situation. Contact a concrete restoration company maybe?

Archived