Jump to content

The Plant At Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg


Recommended Posts

Drove by today. They are making progress on the buildout of the last storefront along Sampson, nearest to Harrisburg. They've also added a sliding window to the wall facing the front patio of How to Survive.

I assume this particular suite will be the permanent location of Giant Leap? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Drove by today. They are making progress on the buildout of the last storefront along Sampson, nearest to Harrisburg. They've also added a sliding window to the wall facing the front patio of How to Survive.

I assume this particular suite will be the permanent location of Giant Leap? 

A while ago (probably >1 year), there was a little Giant Leap placard on the door farthest from Harrisburg, closest to the back parking lot along Sampson. I also vaguely recall seeing something (maybe an Instagram story) suggesting the storefront closest to Harrisburg might be Popston

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, linearmovement said:

A while ago (probably >1 year), there was a little Giant Leap placard on the door farthest from Harrisburg, closest to the back parking lot along Sampson. I also vaguely recall seeing something (maybe an Instagram story) suggesting the storefront closest to Harrisburg might be Popston

I've noticed that the Giant Leap placard has been variably placed in different locations along Sampson. I assume it was initially put there just to remind passersby that they would be moving there shortly. I did not give much thought to where exactly it might have been placed, but your observation is consistent with that. 

Of course, for the last several months it has been in front of How to Survive, since they have been operating out of that suite. It seems to be an arrangement that is working for both entities for now, so I'm not sure Giant Leap is in any rush to move out. The ongoing buildout being the suite for Popston would make sense in that context. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Was taking a virtual walk down Harrisburg and noticed "Fly Fly Pizza" is listed as a tenant. Looks like there's also a Fly Fly Pizza in Dallas? Either way, excited for some food in the area.

Was hoping this was going to be the location of Angie's brick and mortar they've been alluding to.. Still holding out hope.

Also confusing.. Popston is set to occupy Ste B so this could be logged in error.


image.png.5b58bb3a066b8417f12582620125f79d.png

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Was just googling Fly Fly Pizza and it appears to be open right now and would let me submit an order on Uber Eats if anyone wants to try.

Looks like 8" pizzas start at $5 and it is all vegan. 

Also, their yelp page lists hours of 9am-midnight and they were listed as being updated a few hours ago.

Kind of tempted to order one for pickup and see what is up. 

 

Edit: going to try placing an order. We'll see what happens. It said if I need help to call the restaurant at 832-263-1738

Edit2: Found an incomplete site of their captured by archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20210225124706/https://flyflypizza.com/

Edit3: still no order confirmation and it's been like 6 or 7 minutes, so I'm guessing no one is home lol

Edit4: They cancelled it and they are showing as unavailable now. Clearly not ready yet, but that is kind of what I expected. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Finally a permit for a 3k sqft coffee shop/retail buildout that will be Giant Leap. I heard through the grapevine that it will likely manifest as something other than "Giant Leap", still coffee shop but perhaps more upscale like a cafe.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ljchou said:

Finally a permit for a 3k sqft coffee shop/retail buildout that will be Giant Leap. I heard through the grapevine that it will likely manifest as something other than "Giant Leap", still coffee shop but perhaps more upscale like a cafe.

I remember hearing way back when that Giant Leap was planning for the new space to include a draft beer program; I hope it also includes a kitchen with café-type food (sandwiches, salads, etc). The neighborhood could desperately use it.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to The Plant At Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg
On 6/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, ljchou said:

Confirmed that Giant Leap location will be Cafe Louie, a mix of giant leap and Angie’s. So excited for this

 

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I saw the Cafe Louie post and that was pretty exciting on its own, but putting it in Giant Leap is absolutely perfect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Eh, it may be a little silly but these are definitely the going rates for this type of barber shop these days. I've been to several in the city - Cutthroat, East End, Bison, Argyle - and these prices are pretty standard. It's definitely a luxury.

I've been going to Argyle League for years for the simple reason (besides good haircuts) that they know how to keep a schedule. I know that my appointment will start on time and 45 mins later I'll be on my way.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bich Nga was the best cut for the price inside the loop. I tried about half a dozen before trying it out. Sammie is great, but she is usually in high demand. The other ladies are good as well. I think the price was like $12 for a male cut. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, mkultra25 said:

I have yet to be convinced that the haircut one gets at a "craft" barbershop justifies the price premium over the haircut one gets at any number of old-school, no-frills barbershops. To each his own.

I work in Greenspoint and go to a barber where only one guy speaks English (not complaining, just pointing it out). They did a really nice high fade and beard trim. I thought I was going to have to shell out +$60.00. Freaking $20.00! I was shocked, but then remembered they had bars on the window, loud Spanish disco music, and not an IPA or cold brew in sight. Kind of miss living closer to Harwin in that respect. Westheimer is littered with good barbers that don't charge gentrification prices.

Anyway, Ambrose Barber on Milby is decent, but prepare to spend 2-3 hours there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I work in Greenspoint and go to a barber where only one guy speaks English (not complaining, just pointing it out). They did a really nice high fade and beard trim. I thought I was going to have to shell out +$60.00. Freaking $20.00! I was shocked, but then remembered they had bars on the window, loud Spanish disco music, and not an IPA or cold brew in sight. Kind of miss living closer to Harwin in that respect. Westheimer is littered with good barbers that don't charge gentrification prices.

Anyway, Ambrose Barber on Milby is decent, but prepare to spend 2-3 hours there.

That sounds like the place I took my dad to earlier this year for the first visit he'd had to a barbershop since the pandemic started (not the first haircut, as my wife had cut his hair a couple of times in the interim). On Greens Road in the same strip center as Brown Sugar's BBQ, and the barber on duty there only spoke Spanish. Don't recall if they had bars on the window but they did have loud music and a pool table in the front of the shop. I think for a basic haircut it was around $15 including tip. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

That sounds like the place I took my dad to earlier this year for the first visit he'd had to a barbershop since the pandemic started (not the first haircut, as my wife had cut his hair a couple of times in the interim). On Greens Road in the same strip center as Brown Sugar's BBQ, and the barber on duty there only spoke Spanish. Don't recall if they had bars on the window but they did have loud music and a pool table in the front of the shop. I think for a basic haircut it was around $15 including tip. 

I may have to check that place out. I go to 45 Barber Shop next to... not sure, just a bit further down 45. They always play country music after I walk in, and I want to tell them to keep it on the Spanish club music. 

Anyway, I'm surprised we don't have more of these in our hood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 11:20 AM, ljchou said:

Micro-grocer going in at The Plant. "Little Red Box". If you live in the neighborhood or frequent the area, Jeff Kaplan posted a survey he's asking those that would patron the store to fill out.



His post:

"Hi all! Will y’all please consider taking a min to fill this survey out? https://forms.gle/ian1LWxUYwQQWdhv6 Little Red Box is a micro-grocer distribution retail concept that will launch in the 2nd Ward at the Plant (Harrisburg and Sampson), we are hoping in the next several weeks.. aiming to provide cleaner food to an under-served community that currently find themselves in “food desert” in the middle of the Covid crisis. By providing grocery delivery and/or nearby grocery pick-up to low-access areas, Little Red Box intends to offer a limited yet highly relevant product assortment, layering in a nudge toward healthfulness (meal planning & recipes), and engaging/empowering individual communities around physical access points. Please take a few minutes to fill out the following survey in order to help us to effectively cultivate your overall future experience and fulfill our community’s specific grocery needs during the Covid crisis and for the future vitality of our neighborhood. Please share with others in our community as well! Stay healthy"

It's only been about 18 months, but guess what? Little Red Box appears to be "opening soon." I took the survey ages ago and just got an e-mail with a link to this today:
https://littleredboxgrocery.com/pages/houston-launch

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, samagon said:

my wife's cousin came in for Thanksgiving and he wanted to get a haircut on Friday. he didn't tell us where he went, but he did mention it was only $12. if I weren't bald, that'd probably be my jam.

When I was young, I used to get my hair cut by a "stylist" who worked out of several salons over a period of years before ultimately opening his own shop. Even back then, he wasn't cheap. 

When I hit middle age, I started going to an old-school barber shop that charged less than a third of what the previous guy did.

Since the pandemic started, tonsorial care has transitioned to "slap a #2 guard on the clippers and have my wife run them over my head a few times". At first this was a matter of necessity, but over time I've come to prefer it. Your mileage may vary if short hair isn't your preference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

When I was young, I used to get my hair cut by a "stylist" who worked out of several salons over a period of years before ultimately opening his own shop. Even back then, he wasn't cheap. 

When I hit middle age, I started going to an old-school barber shop that charged less than a third of what the previous guy did.

Since the pandemic started, tonsorial care has transitioned to "slap a #2 guard on the clippers and have my wife run them over my head a few times". At first this was a matter of necessity, but over time I've come to prefer it. Your mileage may vary if short hair isn't your preference.

where I used to have a really nice mountain of hair on my head, I'm left with an atoll of hair around the perimeter. I found a set of clippers at walmart for $30 many years ago and run that over my head once a month without any guard at all. I haven't seen the inside of a barber shop in well over a decade.

time and money saved for sure. if I did grow hair I would probably see a barber and not do the bald thing, even if only for the benefit of keeping the sun off my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...