The Plant At Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg Blvd.

1 hour ago, ljchou said:

Micro-grocer going in at The Plant. "Little Red Box". If you live in the neighborhood or frequent the area, Jeff Kaplan posted a survey he's asking those that would patron the store to fill out.

His post:

"Hi all! Will y’all please consider taking a min to fill this survey out? https://forms.gle/ian1LWxUYwQQWdhv6 Little Red Box is a micro-grocer distribution retail concept that will launch in the 2nd Ward at the Plant (Harrisburg and Sampson), we are hoping in the next several weeks.. aiming to provide cleaner food to an under-served community that currently find themselves in “food desert” in the middle of the Covid crisis. By providing grocery delivery and/or nearby grocery pick-up to low-access areas, Little Red Box intends to offer a limited yet highly relevant product assortment, layering in a nudge toward healthfulness (meal planning & recipes), and engaging/empowering individual communities around physical access points. Please take a few minutes to fill out the following survey in order to help us to effectively cultivate your overall future experience and fulfill our community’s specific grocery needs during the Covid crisis and for the future vitality of our neighborhood. Please share with others in our community as well! Stay healthy"

Where did you see this post? Asking so I can follow. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Website for East End development the Plant, 3401 Harrisburg Blvd.

There's a brochure with a tentative site plan included if anyone wants to post to the forum.

https://www.theplanthtx.com

The map in their brochure is a bit . . . inaccurate. They show Moon Tower on Navigation north of Ninfa's, Champ Burger at Commerce and Palmer, Voodoo Queen where Champ Burger actually is, and Warehouse Live on Chartres north of BBVA Stadium. Whoops. 

• Confused 1

• The title was changed to The Plant at Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ljchou said:

Some additional companies listed on the permits: NextSeed, Popston, Hemp Works, Houston Slingshot

Houston Slingshot has already been operating for a month or two, as Exotic Slingshot Rentals. They are based out of a portion of the building on the other side of How to Survive, along Harrisburg. They rent out Polaris Slingshots for use by the hour.

http://www.slingshot.rent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:47 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Houston Slingshot has already been operating for a month or two, as Exotic Slingshot Rentals. They are based out of a portion of the building on the other side of How to Survive, along Harrisburg. They rent out Polaris Slingshots for use by the hour.

I had no idea that's what those were called or where they came from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Drove by today. They are making progress on the buildout of the last storefront along Sampson, nearest to Harrisburg. They've also added a sliding window to the wall facing the front patio of How to Survive.

I assume this particular suite will be the permanent location of Giant Leap? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Drove by today. They are making progress on the buildout of the last storefront along Sampson, nearest to Harrisburg. They've also added a sliding window to the wall facing the front patio of How to Survive.

I assume this particular suite will be the permanent location of Giant Leap? 

A while ago (probably >1 year), there was a little Giant Leap placard on the door farthest from Harrisburg, closest to the back parking lot along Sampson. I also vaguely recall seeing something (maybe an Instagram story) suggesting the storefront closest to Harrisburg might be Popston

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, linearmovement said:

A while ago (probably >1 year), there was a little Giant Leap placard on the door farthest from Harrisburg, closest to the back parking lot along Sampson. I also vaguely recall seeing something (maybe an Instagram story) suggesting the storefront closest to Harrisburg might be Popston

I've noticed that the Giant Leap placard has been variably placed in different locations along Sampson. I assume it was initially put there just to remind passersby that they would be moving there shortly. I did not give much thought to where exactly it might have been placed, but your observation is consistent with that. 

Of course, for the last several months it has been in front of How to Survive, since they have been operating out of that suite. It seems to be an arrangement that is working for both entities for now, so I'm not sure Giant Leap is in any rush to move out. The ongoing buildout being the suite for Popston would make sense in that context. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was taking a virtual walk down Harrisburg and noticed "Fly Fly Pizza" is listed as a tenant. Looks like there's also a Fly Fly Pizza in Dallas? Either way, excited for some food in the area.

Was hoping this was going to be the location of Angie's brick and mortar they've been alluding to.. Still holding out hope.

Also confusing.. Popston is set to occupy Ste B so this could be logged in error.

image.png.5b58bb3a066b8417f12582620125f79d.png

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 4

Was just googling Fly Fly Pizza and it appears to be open right now and would let me submit an order on Uber Eats if anyone wants to try.

Looks like 8" pizzas start at $5 and it is all vegan. 

Also, their yelp page lists hours of 9am-midnight and they were listed as being updated a few hours ago.

Kind of tempted to order one for pickup and see what is up. 

Edit: going to try placing an order. We'll see what happens. It said if I need help to call the restaurant at 832-263-1738

Edit2: Found an incomplete site of their captured by archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20210225124706/https://flyflypizza.com/

Edit3: still no order confirmation and it's been like 6 or 7 minutes, so I'm guessing no one is home lol

Edit4: They cancelled it and they are showing as unavailable now. Clearly not ready yet, but that is kind of what I expected. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a permit for a 3k sqft coffee shop/retail buildout that will be Giant Leap. I heard through the grapevine that it will likely manifest as something other than "Giant Leap", still coffee shop but perhaps more upscale like a cafe.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ljchou said:

Finally a permit for a 3k sqft coffee shop/retail buildout that will be Giant Leap. I heard through the grapevine that it will likely manifest as something other than "Giant Leap", still coffee shop but perhaps more upscale like a cafe.

I remember hearing way back when that Giant Leap was planning for the new space to include a draft beer program; I hope it also includes a kitchen with café-type food (sandwiches, salads, etc). The neighborhood could desperately use it.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to The Plant At Harrisburg: 3401 Harrisburg
On 6/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, ljchou said:

Confirmed that Giant Leap location will be Cafe Louie, a mix of giant leap and Angie’s. So excited for this

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I saw the Cafe Louie post and that was pretty exciting on its own, but putting it in Giant Leap is absolutely perfect.

• Like 1