Well, they just beat the Rangers a few minutes ago. I'm afraid with only 16 games left and three other teams in front of them for a wild card slot, it's probably too little, too late, but I'll gladly eat those words if I'm proven wrong. They've been playing catch-up all season after a God-awful April, and the starting pitching just hasn't been there.

But we weren't supposed to win the WS until 2017, so by that yardstick we're right on schedule. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Thanks, Urbannizer. I've been following the Astros through thick and thin since 1965. I don't remember the Colt .45s. The year they became the Astros is about where my awareness of things outside my own little world started.

Like I said, thick and thin but they've been a joy to watch lately. Winning is great but like anything else in life you have to take pleasure in the small things: a great hit, a diving catch, a vicious pitch for a strike-out. Ah, baseball.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hindesky said:

And they won again. What really chaps my butt is that ESPN ranks them as the 5th best team even though they have a better record than the 4 teams ahead of them.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31208667/mlb-power-rankings-week-1-biggest-risers-fallers-first-week-season

I'm afraid it is all about TV market with ESPN and the other networks. I've seen it before when the 'stros were kicking butt and the announcers treated it like a fluke.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Specwriter said:

I'm afraid it is all about TV market with ESPN and the other networks. I've seen it before when the 'stros were kicking butt and the announcers treated it like a fluke.

It’s still a pretty small sample size. If they keep winning they will move up the rankings. They lost Springer this year and Verlander is just coming back from Tommy John, so I can see why there might be some skepticism about the Astros, but this current roster seems quite capable.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, hindesky said:

AL West standings as of 4/24/21 Saturday night. This is making the rounds online. It spells..... 

With the Angels' logo providing an appropriate visual representation. 

Too bad the 'Stros couldn't manage to complete the sweep yesterday.

• Haha 1