Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment

On 6/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, EaDolivin said:

I'm personally super excited about this as I live in the area.  EaDo just keeps getting better and better!

EaDo is becoming vibrant again with each new development rising up. It's as vibrant as the old Chinatown of the 70's and 80's. I hope the 45 expansion dies a horrible death. With East Downtown as the new it spot, the expansion will kill growth, in my humble opinion.

If you are stoked over Cidercade, take a peek into the East Village thread in the Going Up forum. There's another cool arcade and bar  opening there in EaDo.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32934-east-village-mixed-use-development-at-1201-st-emanuel/?do=findComment&comment=593703

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

EaDo is becoming vibrant again with each new development rising up. It's as vibrant as the old Chinatown of the 70's and 80's. I hope the 45 expansion dies a horrible death. With East Downtown as the new it spot, the expansion will kill growth, in my humble opinion.

If you are stoked over Cidercade, take a peek into the East Village thread in the Going Up forum. There's another cool arcade and bar  opening there in EaDo.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32934-east-village-mixed-use-development-at-1201-st-emanuel/?do=findComment&comment=593703

putting the freeway underground will be good for the long term for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I hope the 45 expansion dies a horrible death. With East Downtown as the new it spot, the expansion will kill growth, in my humble opinion.

I’m with you on this. The 45 reroute project will take out something like 10%-12% of the total land that makes up EaDo, including many lots prime for development near East Village and 8th Wonder.

Ten years of construction will also have a detrimental effect on the businesses that are already open, including EaDo-adjacent businesses like the Bishop Cidercade (which is technically in Second Ward, as EaDo ends at the BNSF tracks). I don’t see how some—if not most—of them will survive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I’m with you on this. The 45 reroute project will take out something like 10%-12% of the total land that makes up EaDo, including many lots prime for development near East Village and 8th Wonder.

Ten years of construction will also have a detrimental effect on the businesses that are already open, including EaDo-adjacent businesses like the Bishop Cidercade (which is technically in Second Ward, as EaDo ends at the BNSF tracks). I don’t see how some—if not most—of them will survive.

Nonsense. 

I think you exaggerate the percentage of land it takes.  Does EADO have a shortage of developable lots?  The buried freeways and deck park will convert far more real estate into true prime real estate than any of the long-vacant lots taken by the project.

The construction should not really have that much of an impact on the neighborhood.  It's not as if any significant access points to the area will be eliminated and those that are temporarily blocked for construction will not be blocked for ten years or anything close to it.  This project is a total win for EADO. The investors and business who continue to pour money into and build businesses in the area have access to the internet too; if the future of the area was so bleak because of the impending project, they would probably be looking elsewhere.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

I agree with @Houston19514 on this one, I think you are catastrophizing the impact of the new highway.

And if the highway cap park ever gets built, it will directly connect downtown with EaDo, creating greater walkability and opportunities for people/visitors to explore EaDo.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was just going along with what C&G said regarding the project’s effect on EaDo and EaDo-adjacent businesses, in the context of this particular business opening at The Block.

Sorry if I led this thread astray.

Edited by thedistrict84

On 6/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

While scrolling through Facebook comments on the post announcing Bishop Cidercade coming to Houston, Joel Malone, co-owner of Bishop Cider Co. & Bishop Cidercade Houston wrote this today:

Due to the lack of zoning in Houston, it is very likely that our Houston location will open 1-2 months before Austin. Also, we aren’t duplicated the Dallas one into the other cities. All three will be drastically different and catered to the City. They won’t resemble the Dallas location at all.

https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/posts/2758485927503472?comment_id=2766660366686028&reply_comment_id=2768053409880057

More on Bishop Cidercade's Houston location at 2339 Commerce. The development won't be named The Block but 2339 Commerce:

Joel Malone, co-owner of Bishop Cider Co. & Bishop Cidercade Houston confirmed Cidercade is opening at 2339 Commerce. 

From Houston Business Journal:

It will be in Houston-based Ancorian's new mixed-use project called 2339 Commerce Street, Malone confirmed to the Houston Business Journal via email.

Last fall, Ancorian broke ground on the project, which is located along Colby Street between Commerce and Canal streets in the East End District. At the time, it was called The Block.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/19/dallas-based-cidercade-expanding-to-houston-austin.html

And this:

It will also have a cider production facility on a much smaller scale than the Dallas location, offering small batches of Bishop beverages.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190619/cidery-arcade-bar-comes-to-former-joes-crab-shack-site-in-austin

More on the Houston location of Bishop Cidercade at 2339 Commerce in Second Ward: 

From Houston Business Journal:

...The Houston location will be the concept's new flagship.

Co-owner Joel Malone wants to see what kind of cider Houstonians are craving. To do that kind of research and development, he says, having a brick-and-mortar location in the market helps. 

...The cidercade will seat 250 and will span 20,000 square feet, including a patio.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/21/why-a-dallas-based-cidercade-decided-to-bring-its.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember the first day Bishop Cider opened in a little hole in the wall in the bishop arts district, I walked right up to Joel and asked him where his apples came from/what varietals they used, and he mumbled something about the northeast then said Michigan and maybe New York.  If you care about craft or actual cider, they're total and complete garbage.   

i'm hopeful the houston cider company thats being built near sawyer yards is truthful about their owners attachment to a specific orchard and that they focus on actual varietals/heirlooms, and not just making flavored apple juice. 

Edited by crock

There is some activity and new equipment at the site, including a paver. Looks like they might finally pave the parking lot—curbs were already done, trees have been planted in the medians between rows, and the lot has been leveled for some time.

C1fs4hH.jpg

• Like 3