Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

2339 Commerce | 2339 Commerce St | Second Ward | Redevelopment

Recommended Posts

The 60,000 SF warehouse in Houston's East Downtown (EaDo) / Second Ward at 2339 Commerce may be redeveloped into a mixed-use development, retail or residential.

YyuXaZH.jpg

hXjyTwg.jpg
 

 

 

2339 Commerce St is listed as an upcoming project on Ancorian's website:

oLVTUBh.png

2339 Commerce is a 60,000 SF redevelopment project located in Houston’s rapidly gentrifying east downtown neighborhood. 2339 sits in the shadows of downtown Houston and provides an eclectic value option for downtown office users.

 

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the Commerce Street project:

" This large 70,000 square foot existing warehouse is currently being restructured into office and restaurant space for the development group, Ancorian in the growing East Downtown area of Houston. "

Another rendering of Commerce Street at 2339 Commerce from Mak Studio's website:

7ceyl6b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated site map for 2339 Commerce Street.

Two tenants added:

Interfield - a leading consulting engineering company in Houston, specializing in engineering and architectural design services.

Inbox Printing - Houston’s premier full-service printing  company. With a full staff of industry veterans and the latest in digital printing equipment on site.

2K6WodN.jpg



VtNkpqJ.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 0:15 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated site map for 2339 Commerce Street.

Two tenants added:

Interfield - a leading consulting engineering company in Houston, specializing in engineering and architectural design services.

Inbox Printing - Houston’s premier full-service printing  company. With a full staff of industry veterans and the latest in digital printing equipment on site.

2K6WodN.jpg



VtNkpqJ.jpg

Niiice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ancorian re-adaptive development at 2339 Commerce at Canal has a new name: The Block.

In addition to creative offices, other tenants desired includes restaurants, a distillery, or a brewery.

dFhOjoR.jpg?1



Unable to archive the Loopnet page for this development (useful because Loopnet has implemented new measures where the site either deletes listings or remove all images and pdf files once a listing has been leased or sold), but here's a screenshot of the page.

lFBkf4K.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, thedistrict84 said:

Does anybody know the latest on this project? There hasn’t been any activity on site for months. 



Update on The Block at 2339 Commerce from Houston Business Journal this week:

 

Houston-based Ancorian, a real estate development company, recently broke ground on a 44,000-square-foot warehouse reuse project at 2339 Canal St. in east downtown, Michael Sperandio, a founding partner at Ancorian, told the Houston Business Journal. When the project delivers near the end of 2019, it'll likely contain coworking space and one or two retail or restaurant concepts, Sperandio said.

"It’s east downtown proper, it’s not EaDo, but we’ve taken this old metal building and started working on bringing it back to life," Sperandio said.

The project, dubbed The Block, has been underway for around two years since Ancorian acquired a 70,000-square-foot industrial warehouse on 2.5 acres at Canal Street and Colby Street, Sperandio said. Ancorian demolished part of the warehouse, which made room for around 200 parking spots at the development. Houston-based Method Architecture is the architect and Houston-based Course Construction is the general contractor.

The project has garnered attention from major coworking companies, including New York-based WeWork, Sperandio said.

"They came and toured it," Sperandio said of WeWork. "I don’t know if we’re the right fit for them — we’re not a typical office space like they've taken in the past — but they’re aware of our property. … I know they want to be in east downtown."

Some coworking companies have expressed interest in leasing the entire property, Sperandio said. The project's also received interest from makerspace companies, or coworking space that's geared toward craftspeople and artisans in need of studio space.


https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/11/13/exclusive-houstons-east-village-developer-breaks.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

"It’s east downtown proper, it’s not EaDo, but we’ve taken this old metal building and started working on bringing it back to life," Sperandio said.

 

What does this quote mean?  EaDo is short for East Downtown, and this block looks pretty far away from "downtown" regardless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they are trying to say it's not in the official EaDo boundries.  Technically, it's in the second ward but I'd bet people will just say EaDo anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, august948 said:

I think they are trying to say it's not in the official EaDo boundries.  Technically, it's in the second ward but I'd bet people will just say EaDo anyway.

 

I think the Second Ward name is still sticking for the most part, but there is definitely some name-creep occurring in the area, thanks mostly to town home developers.

 

The worst part about living in Second Ward is having to correct all of the people that call it EaDo. The BNSF rail line provides a clear boundary, so I’m not sure what’s so confusing about it. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tone2002 said:

Do people really still use the ward designations?? Outside of Fifth Ward/Third Ward rarely are the other areas referred to as such.

Yes. Although, 2nd Ward is the least heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Unless you live in or near there.  Then you hear it all of the time. 

Don't forget Old Sixth Ward or Forth Ward/Freedman's Town, either.  They’re not going away.  First Ward, Art District is pretty proud too. 

 

So, other than First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Wards, nobody really refers to the wards as wards. 

Edited by Naviguessor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, Naviguessor said:

So, other than First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Wards, nobody really refers to the wards as wards. 

 

:lol:

 

As long as Google maps still labels the area Second Ward, I don’t think the designation will go anywhere. If anything, it might help broaden use of the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, Naviguessor said:

^^ Unless you live in or near there.  Then you hear it all of the time. 

Don't forget Old Sixth Ward or Forth Ward/Freedman's Town, either.  They’re not going away.  First Ward, Art District is pretty proud too. 

 

So, other than First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Wards, nobody really refers to the wards as wards. 

 

And I have a bridge to sell you too. I live in the East End and the use of Second Ward is nonexistant. Let them tell you there is no such thing as EaDo, but those are lies regarding the use of 1st/2nd/4th/6th wards. I find it funny you throwing in “Freedman’s Town” when that area clearly isn’t referred to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me that’s false. I’ve lived here ten years and have heard both Second Ward and East End used interchangeably when describing the area. Only in the last 3-4 years has the EaDo word spilled over the railroad tracks and into the western portions of the East End/Second Ward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, intencity77 said:

For me that’s false. I’ve lived here ten years and have heard both Second Ward and East End used interchangeably when describing the area. Only in the last 3-4 years has the EaDo word spilled over the railroad tracks and into the western portions of the East End/Second Ward.

 

I’ve lived in the area for about four years myself, and I would agree with this for the most part. The one caveat I will add is that (I think) the recognized boundary of the Second Ward ends at Lockwood, whereas the East End refers to the area well beyond that. So, there is some overlap but the names aren’t necessarily interchangeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

 

I’ve lived in the area for about four years myself, and I would agree with this for the most part. The one caveat I will add is that (I think) the recognized boundary of the Second Ward ends at Lockwood, whereas the East End refers to the area well beyond that. So, there is some overlap but the names aren’t necessarily interchangeable.

 

The “Greater East End” is an umbrella term that overlays the area of Second Ward and the neighborhoods of Pecan Park, Magnolia Park, Lawndale/Wayside, Eastwood and Central Park. The East End Management District office is actually located at 3211 Harrisburg near Sampson, well outside and west of the “Lockwood boundary”. But I do agree that you are correct on the Second Ward neighborhood boundary ending at Lockwood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, intencity77 said:

 

The “Greater East End” is an umbrella term that overlays the area of Second Ward and the neighborhoods of Pecan Park, Magnolia Park, Lawndale/Wayside, Eastwood and Central Park. The East End Management District office is actually located at 3211 Harrisburg near Sampson, well outside and west of the “Lockwood boundary”. But I do agree that you are correct on the Second Ward neighborhood boundary ending at Lockwood. 

 

The Second Ward goes past Lockwood to Terminal

 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/HoustonWards1920.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downtownian said:

 

The Second Ward goes past Lockwood to Terminal

 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/HoustonWards1920.jpg

 

Of course, when technically speaking, but in modern times I’ve rarely heard the neighborhood north of Harrisburg and east of Lockwood referred to as Second Ward. That area usually goes by Central Park. It’s no wonder the EaDo name is creeping in all over the East End, everyone seems to have a different name for the same neighborhood. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, intencity77 said:

The “Greater East End” is an umbrella term that overlays the area of Second Ward and the neighborhoods of Pecan Park, Magnolia Park, Lawndale/Wayside, Eastwood and Central Park. The East End Management District office is actually located at 3211 Harrisburg near Sampson, well outside and west of the “Lockwood boundary”. But I do agree that you are correct on the Second Ward neighborhood boundary ending at Lockwood. 

 

I completely agree with you. I didn’t mean that the two areas are delineated by Lockwood. I meant that the East End includes Second Ward but extends well beyond that to include the other neighborhoods and areas you mentioned—hence the “overlap” comment. 

 

I probably could have been a bit clearer with my statement. My apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2339-Commerce-St-Houston-TX/7148008/

 

it's been de-listed. I'm going out on a limb and guessing a coworking space signed a portion of the lease. Hopefully not the whole facility because I was really hoping to see a restaurant or bar in here. 

 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/02/wework-confirms-the-woodlands-location.html?iana=hpmvp_hstn_news_headline

 

Quote

 WeWork also has pending leases in the region that will add an additional 1,000 desks by the end of 2019.

 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dallas cidery Bishop Cider Co. is opening a cider bar and arcade in Houston.

Edit: It's not going in the R.B. Everett Building at 3118 Harrisburg Boulevard in the East End (that's too small). It will open at The Block at 2339 Commerce. Thanks to @EaDolivin for connecting the rendering on the Cidercade Houston website to the rendering of The Block by Ancorian. 

Their announcement last week gave a location ballpark of EaDo ( East Downtown ), located down the street from both nearby stadiums and will be 18,000 SF.


Here is the Facebook announcement from Bishop Cidercade on Saturday:


The rumors are true: Cidercade Houston

Get ready Houston: a new Cidercade location is coming your way!
 

Bishop Cidercade Houston will proudly offer 18,000* sq ft of arcade and bar fun, and 30 ciders + wines on draft. Located right down the street from BBVA Compass Stadium and Minute Maid Park in the EaDo District.
 

*As a point of reference, the Dallas Cidercade is 6,500sf.
 

Location will be opening later this year.


To get updates on the progress, go to:

http://cidercadehouston.com


Source: https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/photos/a.1420998174585594/2758480010837397

 

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@CrockpotandGravel I see two spots there that are around 1,800 square feet, but that whole entire building seems less than 18,000. Just for reference, Lease 2 in the floor plan is Sigma Brewing, and a few other businesses take up other space.

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging from the website, the photo of the warehouse matches the 2339 Commerce St location, which is a development known as 'The Block'.  The details are in a previous thread linked below.

 

I'm personally super excited about this as I live in the area.  EaDo just keeps getting better and better!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EaDolivin said:

Looks like Bishop Cidercade will be leasing part of the 'The Block' warehouse (18,000 sq ft)!

(the pic in the first link looks exactly like it)

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

 

http://cidercadehouston.com



https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/photos/a.1420998174585594/2758480010837397

 

Great find. this is awesome news. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EaDolivin said:

Judging from the website, the photo of the warehouse matches the 2339 Commerce St location, which is a development known as 'The Block'.  The details are in a previous thread linked below.

 

I'm personally super excited about this as I live in the area.  EaDo just keeps getting better and better!

 

 

Which photo on the website are you referring to? I don’t see anything on the website or FB page that gives any indication of which building it is or what it looks like. I assume the shots they are using are from their Dallas location, which is the only one that’s open.

 

Also, neither of these (the RB Everett Building on Harrisburg mentioned by C&G or The Block on Commerce) are EaDo. The area just east of the tracks from BBVA and the rest of EaDo is considered Second Ward, which is part of the larger area known as the East End.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

 

Which photo on the website are you referring to? I don’t see anything on the website or FB page that gives any indication of which building it is or what it looks like. I assume the shots they are using are from their Dallas location, which is the only one that’s open.

 

Also, neither of these (the RB Everett Building on Harrisburg mentioned by C&G or The Block on Commerce) are EaDo. The area just east of the tracks from BBVA and the rest of EaDo is considered Second Ward, which is part of the larger area known as the East End.

 

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

 

EaDolivin posted that in the 2339 thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

 

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

 

EaDolivin posted that in the 2339 thread. 

 

Thanks, I clicked the link that C&G had posted but didn’t think to Google it. Weird that there are two different websites for it. But yeah, that’s definitely 2339 Commerce.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, crock said:

they are basically going to drink Joystix's milkshake and thats a bummer.  

 

 

@CrockpotandGravel the 1201 oliver street development with the New Orleans Brewery and Houston Cidery is humming along without any TABC issues, so i doubt it'd be any different here. 


Thanks! I must've typed in the square footage wrong or misread it. Either way, I was all the way wrong. I thought that space was sort of small for a cidery, bar and arcade because it was smaller than their facility in Dallas (and this one is supposed to be bigger). 


 

On 6/17/2019 at 11:03 AM, thedistrict84 said:

@CrockpotandGravel I see two spots there that are around 1,800 square feet, but that whole entire building seems less than 18,000. Just for reference, Lease 2 in the floor plan is Sigma Brewing, and a few other businesses take up other space.


I forgot about the new Sawyer Yards expansion. Thank you. You are absolutely correct. Both Urban South and City Orchid will produce brews and they're in the center. 



 

 

On 6/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, EaDolivin said:

Judging from the website, the photo of the warehouse matches the 2339 Commerce St location, which is a development known as 'The Block'.


Sta1Tw9.jpg




  The details are in a previous thread linked below.

 

I'm personally super excited about this as I live in the area.  EaDo just keeps getting better and better!

 

 

 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, I'm Not a Robot said:

 

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

 

EaDolivin posted that in the 2339 thread. 



Thanks @EaDolivin (like your username, by the way). The Houston site on Cidercade's main page wasn't up by the time I made the post. By the time I saw the new link with the rendering on it, I was trying to find out where it could be on Google Earth to no avail. As I was looking on the map, I saw your post with the location but got tied up with a work matter and couldn't post. I should have done a reverse image search because the image looked familiar, I couldn't place my finger on it.

Thanks again for the assist and for finding the location.

Welcome to HAIF! 


Mods, can you please move this post and the 8 above it (all are about 2339 Commerce) to the thread for 2339 Commerce below?

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/35475-commerce-street-2339-commerce-street/


Thanks! @Urbannizer @Triton @intencity77 @Subdude

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While scrolling through Facebook comments on the post announcing Bishop Cidercade coming to Houston, Joel Malone, co-owner of Bishop Cider Co. & Bishop Cidercade Houston wrote this today:


Due to the lack of zoning in Houston, it is very likely that our Houston location will open 1-2 months before Austin. Also, we aren’t duplicated the Dallas one into the other cities. All three will be drastically different and catered to the City. They won’t resemble the Dallas location at all.

https://www.facebook.com/cidercade/posts/2758485927503472?comment_id=2766660366686028&reply_comment_id=2768053409880057

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...