Debit Cards/lone Star Cards

Ashikaga

I heard on KTRH that the New Orleans evacuees in Houston will receive $2000 debit cards. I hope that they can be used only for necessities. But who knows? If they can be used to get anything, then the HPD will be making more arrests for public intoxication. You know that a lot of people will get alcohol with those cards if they can.

The debit cards will be similar to Lone Star cards, in that there are certain items that cannot be purchased, mainly alcohol and cigarettes. However, it can be used for housing, clothing and other necessities that Lone Star cards don't cover. As with any program, there are ways to defeat it. However, those people who don't use them for necessities will find themselves without, just like the rest of us who waste our money.

Most of this aid will go where it needs to go. Certainly the amount spent on banned items will be less than what will be spent on shelters, and will put people in permanent housing, so in the end, it will be money well spent.

EDIT: The editor's posting suggests details are still being worked out, so all of my previous post may be wrong. Often times, FEMA will cut a check directly to the victim, so, once cashed, it can be spent on anything necessary. Also, housing vouchers are also given, which can only be cashed in by the landlord, limiting its use for non-approved expenses. How the Debit Card program looks in its final form is anyone's guess.

The debit cards will be similar to Lone Star cards, in that there are certain items that cannot be purchased, mainly alcohol and cigarettes.  However, it can be used for housing, clothing and other necessities that Lone Star cards don't cover.  As with any program, there are ways to defeat it.  However, those people who don't use them for necessities will find themselves without, just like the rest of us who waste our money.

Most of this aid will go where it needs to go.  Certainly the amount spent on banned items will be less than what will be spent on shelters, and will put people in permanent housing, so in the end, it will be money well spent.

EDIT:  The editor's posting suggests details are still being worked out, so all of my previous post may be wrong.  Often times, FEMA will cut a check directly to the victim, so, once cashed, it can be spent on anything necessary.  Also, housing vouchers are also given, which can only be cashed in by the landlord, limiting its use for non-approved expenses.  How the Debit Card program looks in its final form is anyone's guess.

On FOX News today they said that a Red Cross Debit Master Card is not the same thing as a FEMA card. I heard that the former will allow people to get whatever they want. If that's right, then chaos might ensue in Houston. They said that portable ATMs were being brought to the Astrodome for the people to use. If they get cash, it goes without saying that liquor stores and crack houses will see a sharp increase in business.

On FOX News today they said that a Red Cross Debit Master Card is not the same thing as a FEMA card.  I heard that the former will allow people to get whatever they want.  If that's right, then chaos might ensue in Houston.  They said that portable ATMs were being brought to the Astrodome for the people to use.  If they get cash, it goes without saying that liquor stores and crack houses will see a sharp increase in business.

Ah, well then! If ya heard it on Fox-we distort, you decide-news then it must be true!

And it certainly does go without saying that all of those Negros will be crackin' and boozin' till the well runs dry.

Ah, well then! If ya heard it on Fox-we distort, you decide-news then it must be true!

And it certainly does go without saying that all of those Negros will be crackin' and boozin' till the well runs dry.

Well, I've heard that every time a dollar is spent in a city, it "rolls over" seven times. It will start at the liquor stores and the crack houses. Then HPD will start making arrests for possession and public intoxication. The ones who will sit out their fines in jail will cost Houston. But, hopefully, some of them will pay their fine and that money will circulate.

A few years ago, I had to go on food stamps.  If I tried to get something on the Lone Star card that wasn't allowed, the computer would reject it.  I would think that the same thing could be done with the debit cards that the evacuees are receiving.

So which were you trying to buy? Crack or liquor?

When I was watching cnn today, I heard that they would give people willing to go back to NO to work a debit card with 250,000 dollars! I didn't catch it all, but thats what it sounded like. Any one know if this is true? I would look it up myself, but I am about to leave to go somewhere. If noone knows I'll try to look later.

That's a bit ..I don't know how to say without it saying bad but I was watching these videos of people from New Orleans and I saw some white people. Just because the majority of the people are black doesn't mean we should sterotype. Isnt it a bit bad to say this to one ethinic group?

These people lost everything and alot of them have families to care for. Have a little compassion and think...you really think these people with families of 2-3 kids are going to drink and do drugs in front of their kids?

I would imagine that alot of these people come/came from neighborhoods like ours. Not all poor neighborhoods, everyday people with everyday jobs. Professional or nonprofessional. Just because they are homeless and have nothing now doesn't make them all drinkers and drug users.

So when you lose everything can we assume when you get food stamps, we can say the same thing about you? Can we say something you are possibly not?

I am not black but I am certainly not one to just take to people assuming people are something they are not.

That's a bit ..I don't know how to say without it saying bad but I was watching these videos of people from New Orleans and I saw some white people. Just because the majority of the people are black doesn't mean we should sterotype.  Isnt it a bit bad to say this to one ethinic group?

These people lost everything and alot of them have families to care for. Have a little compassion and think...you really think these people with families of 2-3 kids are going to drink and do drugs in front of their kids?

I would imagine that alot of these people come/came from neighborhoods like ours. Not all poor neighborhoods, everyday people with everyday jobs. Professional or nonprofessional. Just because they are homeless and have nothing now doesn't make them all drinkers and drug users.

So when you lose everything can we assume when you get food stamps, we can say the same thing about you? Can we say something you are possibly not?

I am not black but I am certainly not one to just take to people assuming people are something they are not.

That was sarcasm aimed at Ashikaga-perhaps indelicate but sarcasm never the less.

B)

Based on what facts?

Based on what is shown on the national news and on news magazine shows (Dateline, 20/20, etc.).

But within the last hour, I heard Tom Martino on KTRH radio say that three of the evacuees who had received debit cards went to a high-class mall called Lennox Square and purchase Louis Vuitton handbags with their debit cards. He did say that the cards stated that they could not be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.

Based on what is shown on the national news and on news magazine shows (Dateline, 20/20, etc.).

But within the last hour, I heard Tom Martino on KTRH radio say that three of the evacuees who had received debit cards went to a high-class mall called Lennox Square and purchase Louis Vuitton handbags with their debit cards.  He did say that the cards stated that they could not be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.

Well, there you have it then.

BTW, how is getting your facts from news magazines working out for you so far?

B)

Well would you find "drugs take hold of Somerset, Vermont" "20% of city uses cocaine" an interesting news story? BTW 20% is like one person.

AND OMG!!!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/schools/0401/28/a07-48266.htm

I don't know if you find it reputable, but I just did a search for suburban kids and drugs and it popped up. I can not believe someone would stereotype millions of people because of a report he saw on dateline...

Where do you live just wondering.

Well would you find "drugs take hold of Somerset, Vermont" "20% of city uses cocaine" an interesting news story?  BTW 20% is like one person.

AND OMG!!!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/schools/0401/28/a07-48266.htm

I don't know if you find it reputable, but I just did a search for suburban kids and drugs and it popped up.  I can not believe someone would stereotype millions of people because of a report he saw on dateline...

Where do you live just wondering.

OK. I stand corrected. I'll simply ask all of you for your personal opinion. Do you think that if a lot of people who are homeless and penniless suddenly receive a fairly large cash windfall that quite a few of them will use it for drugs and alcohol, regardless of where they are from?

Yes I am sure some (but not all) would use it for unnecessary items just as an group would, poor or otherwise. There will always be a segment of the pop. that will do these things. But just FYI I think people got pissed because just generalized inner city dwellers as drunks and druggies. And that you made that just from some reports.

Archived